CrazyBoards.org

Ok. I am up to 250mg of Lamictal and I love it.  I have had all the side effects and they seem to go away after some time.  But, I have had the worst acne the last few weeks.  I thought I read on here that this was a normal side effect but I cant find the post now.  I was wondering if anybody knows if this will pass too.  I have it all over my forehead.  They are tiny bumps that itch and they look and feel like ant bites.  I know this is gross, but there is no puss in there and I cant get rid of them.  They almost seem like little cysts.  Is this from Lamictal messing up my liver?  Vitamin E (1,000 IU) doesnt help.  I have little bumps too but these large ones really hurt and feel raw.  If you know or if you have had this too, please tell me if this junk goes away. 

Oh, I have never had acne before and my diet hasnt changed.  I have lost 10 lbs since starting Lamictal, if that matters.

Thanks you guys.

- dirty

You don't have acne.... You have the rash that some people get with Lamictal.

Have you contacted your Pdoc?? This Lamictal rash can be dangerous ....don't want to alarm you but  it IS serious and you should be seen by the doc......very soon.

Take Care

darkdreams

Ok. I am up to 250mg of Lamictal and I love it.  I have had all the side effects and they seem to go away after some time.  But, I have had the worst acne the last few weeks.  I thought I read on here that this was a normal side effect but I cant find the post now.  I was wondering if anybody knows if this will pass too.  I have it all over my forehead.  They are tiny bumps that itch and they look and feel like ant bites.  I know this is gross, but there is no puss in there and I cant get rid of them.  They almost seem like little cysts.  Is this from Lamictal messing up my liver?  Vitamin E (1,000 IU) doesnt help.  I have little bumps too but these large ones really hurt and feel raw.  If you know or if you have had this too, please tell me if this junk goes away. 

Oh, I have never had acne before and my diet hasnt changed.  I have lost 10 lbs since starting Lamictal, if that matters.

Thanks you guys.

- dirty

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest Llamanator

Acne is a pretty normal side-effect. I do get acne like you describe (have for years - sometimes nothing but blood comes out) every once in a while, and it is pretty annoying.

If it is a rash, if you don't have a fever, and it isn't spreading fast, don't worry too much. Just make a phone call to your doc. If you have had a fever with it, get in somewhere (anywhere) ASAP.

There are lots of possibilities, and most aren't anything to panic over. ACs can weaken your skin, leading to rashes, irritation, fungal stuff, and greater sensitivity to allergens. It's pretty common. Lots of people get perfectly benign rashes.

Whatever you do, don't freak out, okay?

Mimi

Don't panic.  If the cysts aren't breaking down, you don't have a fever and you don't have aches and pains, you probably don't have SJS.  Just mention it to your Pdoc at your next regular visit.

I had acne, more of the cystic type, painful and deep, crop up upon starting Lamictal.  It eased off with time and wasn't too bad.

A.M.

Yes, I dont think its a rash at all.  I just wanted to hear this acne crap is going away sometime.  I love Lamictal and will stay on it no matter how bad it gets.  It is pretty annoying though.  Maybe I will get lucky and it will go away.  It only started when I jumped to 250mg- from 225mg, when all the other side effects went away.  As far as weakening my skin.. that is exactly what I think is going on.  Thanks you guys.  Now I can feel better about it.

You don't have acne.... You have the rash that some people get with Lamictal.

Have you contacted your Pdoc?? This Lamictal rash can be dangerous ....don't want to alarm you but  it IS serious and you should be seen by the doc......very soon.

Take Care

darkdreams

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

UM WRONG.

It is NOT THE RASH. Calm. BREATHE.

I've had the rash. The deadly Stephens-Johnsons eat-your-skin-for-breakfast rash. I had it BAD, in fact-it hit my like a smite from an angry pharmaceutical god. There is no way anyone with half a rational braincell could mistake it for acne. It is more like itchy as FUCK poison ivy plus fever plus apathy plus high blood pressure and thready pulse. It SUCKS. IT IS NOT ACNE. And it DOES NOT START ON THE FACE. It starts on the torso. Facial involvement starts around mucous membranes. Most of all, the rash ITCHES LIKE HELL.

Dirtywonderful, I really DONT THINK IT IS THE RASH. So it's ok. Really. As long as "acne" describes it better than "rash", you're good.

Darkdreams, please don't go telling people they have something DEADLY, over the INTERNET. Not without compelling evidence, and more experience. We don't need the hysteria. Thank you.

Kassiane

Hey Kassiane,

I never used the word DEADLY......I said that it COULD be dangerous.....I have no desire to panic anyone.....just concern...You are probably correct in that it IS  just  a  nasty case of acne. Let's hope so anyway.........My apologies to anyone who was unduly alarmed.

darkdreams

Thanks you guys.

- dirty

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mimi,

What do you mean by allergies and fungal stuff?  I cant find that info on here either.  I would like to read about that.  I know I've seen side effects on here or crazymeds but I swear I am lost tonight.

Anyway, I went to planned parenthood a few weeks ago.  I also have a yeast infection that wont go away.  I was given Flagyl and I was tested for everything else (all came out ok).  A few days ago, I finished an OTC treatment only to find that it came back today.  I'd like to add that I havent been with anybody since getting treated.  So, do you think Lamictal has anything to do with that?

Back to eating tons of yogurt, I guess.

-Dirty

Hey Dirty,

Ever try tea tree oil? You can get it at Walmart for about $5. Look by the vitamins or the first aid section. It works great on many types of weird break outs. If it is too strong at 100%, you can mix it with a carrier oil like sweet almond oil or olive oil. (It has a strong smell) Just dab it on the zits before you go to bed. Test a small area first to make sure you don't have any weird reactions.

Thanks so much.  I've never had acne before, so I had no idea where to start.  I thought it was the copper levels, so I have been taking massives doses of acidophilus, zinc and vitamin E (sometimes A).  I was thinking it was in by body and not just on my skin.  It itches and when I go to scratch, it hurts and I get mad.  I will go see a dermatologist then.  I figured they would just tell me to stop the Lamictal.  My fingernails are  turning yellow now.  I have no idea what is going on here.  I am lost!

Thanks again for the help, you guys!

I havent noticed anything.  My tongue swelled when I first started, but it went away after a few weeks.  That was weird too.  There are just so many reasons to stay on Lamictal that I dont want to stop but I dont want to turn into a fungus factory or something.  The yellow nails is embarrassing.  No sandals this summer.

thanks dirtywonderful, I had no frickin' idea why I suddenly had awful acne when I've never had it before in my life.  But the acne corresponded with me starting lamictal, so thanks for sharing your symptoms

Sure thing tigrre, I heard another person online say the same thing- they didnt know either, but had bad acne/

Number 6, I tried the Cetaphil alone before making an appt.  Anyway, I feel little bumps come up, but they go away before they get nasty.  I honestly think the Cetaphil is working well enough on its own. Thanks so much all for the help.  The yellow toenails may be something else.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest_TheTxBelle_*

Dirty I am having ALOT of the same problems!

I have been having some breakouts and Ive never had acne, maybe just occasional breakout here or there. EVERYTHING CHANGED SINCE LAMICTAL! Now I have gone to the dermatologist because I have the forehead breakout too (I feel like Im 12) and a few deeper ones (ugh) but at least they arent noticeable. She gave my Minocycle pills and clindamycin(sp?) as a topical.

I wouldnt recommend putting plain rubbing alcohol on your skin, I would try a good wash & moisturiser if needed if you dont see a skin doctor. Alcohol can just irratate it all. Maybe try a system like "Acne Free"? my sister uses that and I think its a knock off of ProActiv thats $15 or so.

Also I think you mentioned it or someone did but I recently had a UTI and had to take antibiotics for it, and now take the AZO brand cranberry pills daily to ward it off, but they never related it to Lamictal or any of the other things I am on. UGH

Well youre not alone!

*TheTXBelle* (I forgot my password again)

Also on Trileptal, Topamax & Klonopin

• 3 weeks later...

Well.. I tried everything.  I thought the Cetaphil was working.  I will try it with the Betadine like #6 says.  My mom gave me Renova (RetinA) and that helped the day I used it but it wore off.  And, ,I cant be in the sun at all with Renova.  I have acne all over my face now.  I broke down and made and appt with the dermatologist.  It will take months to get in.  In the meantime, I will try the 3:1 mixture and see if the Betadine helps. 

Also, I have been ok with the yeast.  I eat yogurt everyday now and it hasnt come back since.  And, my sister says my nails were yellow cause I wore polish too long. Could be. (Yes, I feel dumb about that one.)

I have come close to UTIs several times here lately.  The azo helps, I think.  I have to make myself drink water.  For some reason, thats pretty hard.

Still worth it all though!

• 3 months later...

I've decided that it's useful for me to reply since I'm a patient of intermittent cystic acne.  As you've said, the type that forms as deep as possible, near the bone, in our dermis, hurts painfully, and leaves a dark, permanent scar.

Lamictal has not increased the frequency of cystic acne (which for me tends to be 1-2 cysts per month).  Again, YMMV.

Archived