CrazyBoards.org

Moodiness

Do you consider yourself "moody" in your day to day life?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider yourself "moody" in your day to day life?

• Yes - I'm very moody and have frequent mood swings
    • Yes - I'm moodier than average
    • Average
    • No - My mood doesn't change much

I'm just curious how many of you consider yourself to be a "moody" person.

It's a given that everyone with bipolar has mood swings, but that doesn't necessarily mean you consider yourself moody in your day to day life.

I would like to point out that, while I voted for "not particularly moody", I did so because I've been doing really well on my meds for the past several months, and people have started for the first time ever to tell me that I've been consistent in any shape or form... particularly in regards to my moods.

But the sicker I am, the more volatile my mood swings get- although I usually wouldn't acknowledge them, either because of outright denial or because I really didn't think anything was wrong, I thought I was being completely normal and rational (when in reality I'd flip repeatedly between sheer elation and excitement at my ability to take over the world, and huddling up in a ball in a corner of my kitchen sobbing my brains out).

Also, I found that when I was a kid, as inconsistent and impulsive and sensitive and anxious and pushed around as I was, I never would have considered myself to be "moody" or prone to mood swings...

...if any of that makes sense....

I think it really depends what mood state I'm in. If I am purely depressive or normal, I'm not very moody. If normal I would say I was average... if depressive, I really don't talk much and my mood is very consistent (crappy).

When I really get mood lability is when I'm "up", ESPECIALLY the dysphoric type. One minute I can be dancing and singing, the next minute I'm this close to ripping out my hair and feeling overwhelmed by everything, literally like I am being tortured in hell. Whenever I have excessive energy, even a little bit, with dysphoric mood... watch out... that's when I'm going to really do some crazy ass stuff. Oh god, memories. Let's not go there.

When I am "up" with a good mood, I'm not very labile... but I am more reactive and impulsive than usual.

I'm not moody per se, but I do alternate between states of normal and anxious agitation, which I consider to be just as frustrating to myself and my family. This is because I will become silent, retreat away alone, watch tv without talking, or frantically talk to my husband about something I'm anxious about.

Honestly, I'd rather be bitchy. At least I'd talk.

This is a good thought provoker - I don't feel I am a moody person - I am generally one of two things for quite long periods - flat as a tack or absolutely wired. I answered average - I work with people who change moods daily depending on whether or not they got enough sleep the night before (new babies in the house) or whether or not they got their coffee early enough. Somehow I have a sense that being bi polar has developed greater resilience in me and I don't change moods just because of the last thing that happened in my life. Of late I have been regarding this as one of the benefits of leaning to manage how I am.

Do others feel like this too?

My mood fluctuates often. It does not mean I'm "moody". I don't see myself as that. I'm not very labile. I'm rather stable, and I doubt I actually am bipolar. I take interest in it because a loved one is and I have some kind of depressive disorder, we're not sure. I mean my mood = depressed. All the time. Not much changing going on there. If what I said here actually made any sense.

Hmm... this took some thought. I went with moodier then average.

I'm pretty sure that I could be presented with a situation one week, and then presented with the exact same thing a week or two later and have two different reactions depending on my mood at each given time.

That said - there are certain parts of my personality that are always consistent no mater what my mood is.

But its entirely possible that I'm underestimating and that my moods are far more extreme then I realize.

yeah, I have to say I'm moody. Labile, so they say. Before dx I thought of myself as super-sensitive, emotional, reactive, eccentric....when pre-menopause hit I joked that moodiness wouldn't be an issue cuz I was always moody anyway.

Right now, b/c I'm not stable, I'm moody....at least according to the bf (he says he never knows who he gets and feels sometimes like he's walking on eggshells)....I didn't think I was that moody but I do tend to get very up and then suddenly get upset and start crying for an hour or so and then I'm back to normal.

When I'm stable again I don't think I am....maybe a bit more than a regular person but I think I'm pretty normal...

This is a good thought provoker - I don't feel I am a moody person - I am generally one of two things for quite long periods - flat as a tack or absolutely wired. I answered average - I work with people who change moods daily depending on whether or not they got enough sleep the night before (new babies in the house) or whether or not they got their coffee early enough. Somehow I have a sense that being bi polar has developed greater resilience in me and I don't change moods just because of the last thing that happened in my life. Of late I have been regarding this as one of the benefits of leaning to manage how I am.

yes, i've noticed that too. "normal" people at work get upset about stuff and brood or complain when i just don't see the point of sweating something i think is so small. but i guess that really IS normal, since most people seem to do it. i agree, those of us who have suffered mood swings that are out of control are probably far better equipped to recognize when we're getting bent out of shape or sad or "too excited", even within a "normal" range.

i guess that's why nobody at work believes i would have to take meds for anything - they think i'm the most positive, even-tempered woman in canada hehe. nobody else can shrug off an irate customer like i can. ;) why get upset with someone i'll never see again after five minutes?

.... I am not moody at all. I am a very loving person, and kind and gentle, and can give the sweetest loving care to any one at any time, and all the time, and I never ever never lose my temper, at nobody. Anybody can needle me and needle me and only when they are begging for me to lose my bloody temper, and are asking on their knees and praying for a tongue lashing to set them straight, because goddammit I am not scared to do exactly that, and fuck the world I know better anyway and get the bloody hell out my way or I kill you dead in a very painful way with lots of red blood. My heart is so sore because it is days since I have seen my darling love. I am really worried, he is quite ill with flu and driving on his motorbike in this bitter cold

Of course I voted that I don't have mood swings? What are they anyway?

I feel madness has taught me superior coping skills. I'm the same way over small stuff. I really can't afford to get upset over office politics, and mundane stuff.

I have been a little moody lately because I lost my apartment in a fire. I ended up finding an apartment and moving in really quickly which was very stressful. This all happened in two weeks. i lost it when a friend asked for groceries, and an expensive meal. I basically told him to get a clue about my situation.

.... I am not moody at all. I am a very loving person, and kind and gentle, and can give the sweetest loving care to any one at any time, and all the time, and I never ever never lose my temper, at nobody. Anybody can needle me and needle me and only when they are begging for me to lose my bloody temper, and are asking on their knees and praying for a tongue lashing to set them straight, because goddammit I am not scared to do exactly that, and fuck the world I know better anyway and get the bloody hell out my way or I kill you dead in a very painful way with lots of red blood. My heart is so sore because it is days since I have seen my darling love. I am really worried, he is quite ill with flu and driving on his motorbike in this bitter cold

Of course I voted that I don't have mood swings? What are they anyway?

That made my day. Hilarious. Good brain! Thx, joe

Dear Joe,

Though my mood most certainly does not swing, I definitely am very versatile, and very adaptable to different circumstances, I received a mind from the good Lord in order that I may change it , and He nowhere tells me I may only change my mind so many times.. .?.

Regardless of what others may call me, I believe I am a diamond, multi-facetted w and reflecting a rainbow of colours!

;-D

• 6 months later...

When I am stable, i am surprised that I am not particularly mood at all. I'm pretty even tempered, for the most part. It was pretty shocking to discover that it was so.

When I am unstable, "moody" does not even begin to describe.....

Anna

I have stable moodiness, which probably needs some explanation...

When I'm depressed, (like now) I tend to stay that way for 2-4 months, but in the past, it could last for years. Same with hypomanic. I haven't spent a lot of time being um, normal, or if I have, I can't remember.

Archived