CrazyBoards.org

As far as what's neurologically/chemically/etc. going on in the brain and what works to treat them, they're pretty distinct, as I understand them. Some APs, while making schizophrenia issues better, can even make seizures worse (although that's only some of them, and many of them have no seizure-related side effects...not trying to make anyone scared of them).

On the other hand, the symptoms of them can sometimes be similar in some ways, especially with certain types of seizures. If the focus of the seizure is in the right part of the brain, pretty much anything can happen as a result, including hallucinations or altered mood/thinking. Some people with temporal lobe epilepsy have "religious" experiences as a part of their seizures, which can be pretty intense and involve some sense of a connection to or communication with god, among other things, which can resemble how some of the positive symptoms of schizophrenia show up for some people, as an example (and some manic people, for that matter).

Depending on what particular flavor of epilepsy you have and which symptoms of schizophrenia (I keep wanting to word that using "schizophreniform" as an adjective, but that just doesn't seem right, what with schizophreniform disorder being separate and all) you tend to have, there are all sorts of potentially fun combinations.

That said, I know waaaaay more about epilepsy than I do about schizophrenia, so maybe someone else can chime in from the other side of things.

If you mean neurological connection, I don't think there is a definitive answer. Neurological disorders often enough are accompanied by more neurological disorders. That said, I have not heard of a suspected link between schizophrenia and epilepsy whereas I have for biplar and epilepsy. I am, however, far from expert and know that Naglas knows more about this stuff than me.

As for telling the difference between symptoms, seizure weirdness is usually transitory. It doesn't last too long to my knowledge. I know that simple partial seizure symptoms are usually only in the minutes. More major seizures tend to become more obviously seizures. So, depending on your schiz symptoms, duration might be a clue.

Ok, checking PubMed, a Danish study concluded t<hat there appeared to be an association between people who have epilepsy and who also have SZ. They apparently did not check for the opposite connection, strained though it might be.

Now, according to Wikipedia, the occurence rates of SZ is between 0.55% - 1%. The rate of epilepsy is a bit debatable given how many people have single or short episodes, but active cases are probably <1%.

So, The Danish study found that the increase incidenced for having both disorders was around 2.8%.

This is roughly triple or quadruple the single disorder rate, but still a very small number.

***From a causitive perspective, there is NOTHING to indicate that the two disorders are related. While medical science doesn't know every mechanism about the disorders, it still has pretty good understanding of the basics. As a further counter argument, One can get epilepsy from a blow to the head, but not Sz. Likewise, Sz shows some heredity, but organic epilepsy not due to trauma, usually does not run in families. ***

Relax! a.m.

p.s. You might try keeping a seizure diary tracking auras, meds, sleep, notable activities, as well as any Sz symptoms. YOu may find a patter after a while. cheers.

Archived