CrazyBoards.org

Losing my Dreams

Around sometime last year, I stopped dreaming. I dont mean things I want to do in life. I mean I close my eyes when I sleep to see darkness, open them when my alarm goes off and nothing happens in between. Im not dreaming Im floating in emptiness. Its like in the middle of the day, when you close your eyes, that has become my dreams. Its boring. I hate sleeping. My sleeping patterns flips, some night 2-3 hrs, 4-5 hrs, not always the same, but I function as normally as someone with 8 hrs. I have few ideas why. But never the less I wake each day with the same feelings I went to bed to. How time flies when you dont dream.

Lots of people dream and don't remember them.

2-3 & 4-5 hours really isn't enough sleep. You should talk to a doctor about that. You could have a sleep disorder and/or be suffering from symptoms of M.I.

Hmm, alot of people have said that, but is it possible? They dont start. Its like closing your eyes then opening them again. Nothing is clicking. And Im sorry but I dont know what M.I. is. I know I should I guess Ive just gotten used to it. And my mom has offered sleeping pills, I rather not. Plus I can barely swallow any pill. Sad but true.

Oops, pardon me! M.I. = Mental Illness, a.k.a. all these fun (sarcasm) disorders we are always talking about on these boards!

Yes, it's possible to dream and not remember them. It's also possible that you aren't dreaming at all. 2-3 hours of sleep gives you very little time in the stages of sleep that the mind needs to go though in order to dream in the first place.

In terms of swallowing pills - if a sleeping pill was something you ever wanted to try, Unisom makes a product called "Sleep Melts". They dissolve on your tongue so there is no pill to swallow. You could ask you mom about something like that instead of taking one of her pills.

But I still say best bet is to see a doctor. Sine your mom offered you a sleeping pill, I'm guessing that she's aware that your sleeping patterns are not right. Have you ever had a talk with her seeing a doctor about how little you sleep?

May is right - it sounds like you've experienced a significant change in your sleep, and it also sounds like you're definitely not sleeping enough. There ARE variations in how much sleep people need, but less than five hours can't be enough, especially for a teenager (teens need more sleep than adults).

This is probably worth seeing a doctor about. Is that an option for you? Even just your regular doctor is a good place to start.

Yeah, you definitely need more sleep. I know how terrible my brain problems get when I don't get enough sleep, and so does everyone around me. I was that way awhile ago, that I never wanted to take pills. I don't even remember why, maybe more of a dignity issue, like, "I can tough this out, I don't need pills" one day I had a headache SOOOO bad I was willng to do ANYTHING, so I took a tylenol or NS or something, and the damn thing went away! So, gradually, since then, I've been using pills for various things and finally got around to using them for mental issues. Why should I live this way when I don't have to? Definitely see your doctor, it really could help you feel a lot better.

Man, I wish I didn't dream, my boyfriend says he NEVER remembers his dreams either. Lucky bastard. Mine are gory, disturbing horror movies, I would give ANYTHING to not have to dream anymore. At least condsider yourself lucky in that aspect, even though it sounds dumb.

Also, the amount of sleep you are getting every night may not allow you to fall into the stage of sleep in which you would have dreams? I don't even know if this is true or not, but I think that dreaming occurs during the later phase of sleep, and that would be more than a few hours! SO if you slept longer, you'd likely have more dreams. Maybe, if this is true, which I THINK it is.

Good luck!

Dreaming does occur during the later phase of sleep, but you go through many sleep cycles in one night. You cycle down to the deepest sleep, then back up again, and then back down and so on. So the amount of sleep doesn't necessarily mean anything about dreaming, unless you literally cannot stay asleep for more than half an hour.

However, you could have some kind of sleep disturbance. The fact that you said your sleep suddenly changed, and how little sleep you say you're getting make me think a visit to an MD and possibly a sleep study might be in order.

Im sorry, Im in emt (volunteer ambulance practictioner) and MI is a type of heart condition too. I will see when I can go to a doctor. I dont know about the pills, i dont like the idea of relying on medication for sleep. Its been this way for awhile so maybe it is a sleep disorder. I function normally, no falling asleep, or mood swings. Who knows. Thanks for all the advice!

You cycle down to the deepest sleep, then back up again, and then back down and so on

Yes and no. "Normal" restorative sleep does cycle but... how to put it.... in the first few hours of sleep you spend more time in light sleep and less time in deep sleep. As the cycles go on... they change... and by the end you are spend a lot of time in deep sleep and much less time in the lighter stages of sleep.

People are most likely to dream in the deeper stages. But the part about the lack of sleep and yet still feeling rested.. is what made me throw Mental Illness symptom in there.

I sleep in roughly 2 hour chunks, 2 or 3 times, and in at least one of them I know I dream but I forget them really fast. I wish there was a way for me to stay asleep but I haven't figured it out yet.

Archived