CrazyBoards.org

After taking me off benzodiazepines for anxiety, my doc gave me haldol 2 to 10mg PRN (as needed). So far haldol works but it takes forever to kick in. Klonopin was way quicker and therefore even better for anxiety. I haven't found much information on haldol and would like to kow more. 1mg of Haldol is equivalent to how much in other antipyschotics? Is it potent? I would also like to hear of people's experience with this old drug.

Thanx for replies,

PBF

aha. It's taken me over an hour to find some answers.

For the oral tablet dosing, the time to peak blood levels is 3 - 6 hours. Sorry. No wonder you are left waiting.

The good news is that if you inject, IV, you get peak levels in 20 minutes. ;)

Once you have the haldol on board, it has a very long half life, average of 24 hours, but ranges from 12 -37 hours.

This looks like a VERY poor choice for a PRN anxiety drug. Just looking at the profile above you need to predict when you will be anxious about 6 hours in advance. Truly this drug would make more sense to take on a daily basis, given just it's pharmacodynamic properties. Whether this is appropriate I cannot say. Your pdoc must decide.

The one thing I could suggest trying is crushing the tablet and take with some applesauce, pudding, mashed potatoes and a large glass of water in order to try and increase absorption. If this doesn't work, you need to go see your pdoc about changing this drug strategy.

Hope you feel better, a.m.

It gave me hypersalivation and I was greatly zombified. It's dirt cheap though. But I would NEVER go back on it again. I hated how I felt at 5mg a day. It's supposed to be chemically and structurally similar to Risperdal. Maybe that could be a good option for you.

I've seen it used as a PRN for agitation but not anxiety, per se. (Anxiety is usually a component of agitation, though) It does take awhile so when the order is 2mg Q 2

Im on 3mg of Haldol a day. I used to get 0.5mg of Haldol PRN in the days when I was trusted with my own meds for psychotic agitation. 0.5 was crap, I used to take the whole strip - 5mg and wait for that to kick in. I like Haldol. I wish I could go over 3mg but it ceases my menstrual cycle.

blackbird x

I used to be on 10mg of Haldol daily. The biggest concern since this is one of the older, first-generation antipsychotics is Tardive Dyskinesia (involuntary repetitive movements). My pdoc prescribed 1mg of Cogentin (an Anti-Parkinson's medication) along with the Haldol in an effort to prevent development of TD symptoms. Definitely not a top choice PRN med for anxiety.

Archived