CrazyBoards.org

Remeron for anxiety?

Yeah, if someone could phonetically spell it out for me, that would be great. Actually, the RX guide probably does that.

So I have heard that it is RX'd for sleep and depression and has an off label use for anxiety, but I thought it was weird that THIS was the RX I got from the p-doc for my anxiety(I bitched about this endlessly in my blog, so I'm not typing the long story again, to avoid torturing more innocent people)

If anyone has had any experience with this, I am interested, do tell, especially for anxiety, but I'd like to hear side effect stories and other things to scare me anyway. Not that it will matter.

I am directed to take 15mg at night. This is sedating, right? I have a little girl to take care of during the day, hopefully it doesn't knock me out. I would have asked the p-doc about it, but he and I posses entirely different accents and I didn't even know what he was RX-ing me, just said it was an AD. I'd heard the name before, but didn't know exactly what brain ailment it was meant to treat. I know you all aren't doctors and all that jazz, just curious about personal experiences.

Yeah, and weight gain? He didn't really say it outright, but when I asked if it would make me fat, I got a response that led me to believe it very well could and probably isn't that uncommon.

;) I think he is somewhat against the klonopin too, it seems. My GP RX'd me that, and the buspar. I have an appointment with her concerning my meds on Wed, do I still see her for these kinds of things or no? I don't understand how this goes.

Sorry about the two questions in one thing, or several questions.

I can't help with Remeron - don't know anything about it - but Please tell your GP everything you are taking! I know people who were taking antacids (Nexium, Zantac, etc.) that were rendering their medications less effective! Hang in there and pray! I take Xanex XR. The extended release never gives me any 'buzz' or 'relief' feeling, but releases it all day and I Never feel drugged! I take that and Prestiq every morning. It took me about 4 months to feel good! Blessings!

mer-taz-a-peen ;)

I took Remeron for six months, at 15 mg for a week, then 30 mg for a few months, then 45 mg for a few months. Just finished tapering off. I took it for combined anxiety/depression/insomnia, as you can see from my dx list, so I can probably shed a little light.

Weight gain is a possibility on Remeron, and lots of people do have that problem, but personally, I only gained a couple of pounds on 30 mg, and I gained about five more on 45 mg, but no major weight gain or uncontrollable cravings, just hunger and mild cravings every so often.

The sedation is also a problem. But it's worst at 15 - you should move up to 30 mg after a while if the sedation becomes a problem.

I did have some other side effects - some cognitive dulling, mostly in terms of short term memory problems and paraphasia. But in general, it was a fairly benign med and most of the SEs went away after the first few months.

In terms of anxiety, I did find that it helped, but it's hard for me to give specifics, because the year is mostly a blur. But it really helped with my PTSD symptoms.

About your GP - you should ask your psychiatrist what to do. If he will be seeing you longterm, he will probably want to take over on your other psych meds, and he'll definitely want to know that you're taking them.

Thanks. I'm glad to hear somewhat of a success story about it for anxiety. I've been googling reviews for it(noting that mostly people with bad experiences on shit care to even give a review of it) and obviously haven't seen much good about it really, not in terms of anxiety diesorders anyway. That was only a couple of sites though.

I'm just a little nervous about taking another AD since well, #1, I AM NOT DEPRESSED. A little moody here and there, but no depression, and #2, I had a bad experience on generic zoloft a little while ago(I know it's an SSRI, so a different type of AD, but still) concerning mental side effects, I could only tolerate that for five days and was entirely unwilling to stick it out after that. It made me WAY more anxious, I couldn't sleep, and began to think "If I killed myself, I wouldn't have anxiety anymore" So I got scared and stopped taking it. So that was definitely unpleasant to say the least.

I wasn't afraid of BusPar because most people think it's a placebo, lol, but that's true. And the Klonopin I knew would likely just help the anxiety.

But now I'm scared to take another AD for my anxiety because I'm afraid I'll get all weird again.

And I don't even really know how to contact the guy either. I have the number for the hospital he works for I guess.

I don't know if he is planning on taking over my meds from now on. So I'm still going to go see my GP on Wed. and tell her about this I guess.

I am babbling. I'm done

Thanks guys.

Let us know how things go for you.

Remeron was my first AD, and I didn't find it a scary med at all. I have anxiety problems and it did not worsen them. It is a non-SSRI, so hopefully it will agree with you better than Zoloft did.

Remeron knocked me out enough to take the anxiety away (sleeping 14 hours!). Make sure you're not on the BP spectrum as I was given this med before the BP dx and it gave me the most explosive anger that one could imagine. Google "remeron rage" if you want to know more about that.

Remeron knocked me out enough to take the anxiety away (sleeping 14 hours!). Make sure you're not on the BP spectrum as I was given this med before the BP dx and it gave me the most explosive anger that one could imagine. Google "remeron rage" if you want to know more about that.

Wow, rage? That is very scary to me, I hate being "irritable" rage would probably kill me. I seriously doubt I have any kind of BP, my main problems are anxiety. I am a bit moody, and have been depressed off and on, but I have never had anything resembling mania. I am lazy and need too much sleep, lol.

14 hours? Damn, I don't have time to do that. I took it about an hour ago and only feel a little more tired than when I am taking klonopin, so I guess that's good. But like I said, I have a little girl to take care of, so hopefully I can wake up tomorrow and feel okay.

How about pots upon pots of coffee? (no, just an extra cup) Would that help the sedation? Probably not the anxiety, but. . .

eh, I don't know.

say no to the caffeine! it'll just make the anxiety way worse. with remeron, the sedation decreases as the dosage increases, so if you're too knocked out on 15mg (which was what i was on and what i believe to be the minimum dose), increasing the dosage will take away the sedative SE. this your first night taking it?

btw my BP has some anxiety flavor to it too, mild agoraphobia as well, so i empathize. ;)

say no to the caffeine! it'll just make the anxiety way worse. with remeron, the sedation decreases as the dosage increases, so if you're too knocked out on 15mg (which was what i was on and what i believe to be the minimum dose), increasing the dosage will take away the sedative SE. this your first night taking it?

btw my BP has some anxiety flavor to it too, mild agoraphobia as well, so i empathize. ;)

Yeah, this is my first time taking it, and now I am finally really freaking tired. I'm trying to fight it though for a little bit. I have heard that several places, to increase the dosage if it is too sedating. How odd. Yeah, I'm supposed to do 15mg a night until I next see the p-doc in one month.

Yes, lower doses are more sedating - I went up to 30 almost right away. If the sedation becomes unmanageable, call your pdoc and ask to increase the dose and see if that helps.

Also, the first couple of days are the worst, in my experience. I was sleeping over 14 hours for the first day or so as well, but it did get better. 45 was another story, but it was pretty manageable on 30, if I recall correctly.

About rage - I think I was a little irritable, but not horribly scarily ragey. YMMV.

All drugs are weird at first - try not to get too scared. Things will settle down.

I was given this med before the BP dx and it gave me the most explosive anger that one could imagine

I had never heard of this happening to anyone before it happened to me, and never since until I just read this...

But I took it for a very short time, for anxiety/depression/insomnia (primarily depression, to replace paroxetine (Seroxat, I think, for all you brand-huggers)) and I don't really recall myself what I was like, other than being A N G R Y. It took my mum to say to me, stop taking this, see the doc again, I've never seen you like this.

I don't want or intend to scare you off. Everone is different, blah blah, but you just don't know til you try something, right? It might even turn out to be THE wonder drug for you that gives you your life back. I just wanted to point out that often it's a good idea when starting a new med to have someone looking out for you, checking in with you, to notice any differences good or bad which you can then report to your doc. Just to be on the safe side.

And back then when I took it, if you'd told me I was bipolar I'd have laughed you out of town... I'd have said YOU were the crazy one! ;) So keep an open mind, keep posting, keep blogging/journalling/whatever you need to do to know what the mirtazapine is really doing for you. Hope it's the one!

Thanks guys.

I find it VERY odd that it's LESS sedating at higher doses, that makes me laugh a little and WISH I WAS ON A HIGHER DOSE. But it's only the second day, and I'll give it a fair trial, unless I get RAGE or feel like I'm losing my mind and going to slash my wrists like I did on zoloft. Though I did wake up today wondering HOW THE HELL someone would take this pill everyday, it made me so tired last night, and I didn't even think it was going to.

Rage? Ugh, that is scary. Hopefully that doesn't happen to me, I feel incredibly guilty for being the teeniest bit irritable sometimes. That is a big fear of mine, that I'll get the ol' RAGE thing going on.

Thanks guys!!

I believe that the sedation thing has to do with the various receptors Remeron hits. At lower doses, it mainly hits the histamine receptors, making you sleepy. At higher doses, it has more of an effect on other receptors which counteracts the sedation.

I am still taking Remeron. I take it for anxiety and MDD I LOVE this stuff. It will give you the best BEST sleep you have ever had in your life.Not to mention the most bizzaro dreams. I don't know about anyone's experience but this stuff was like some seriously good weed and then getting a case of the munchies. I could eat the entire contents of my cupboard! Hence the weight gain. BUT I figured a way around this. I take it immediately before going to bed. No time for munchies to kick in..oh and yeah, 15mg is MUCH more sedating than 30. It can be a struggle to get over the side effects. It can take up to a month or two but once you are over that, it tends to level out..

Hope it works as well for you as it has for me..good luck!

That's funny,and I don't smoke weed(anymore, big pothead years ago) but I laughed about that, That I ate a whole box of wheat thins and fell asleep. So I thought the same thing about this pill!!

Yeah, I feel stoned all day, not fun while trying to raise a toddler!

Hopefully it gets better, I'm taking this only for anxiety, but I am not depressed, so hopefully it does work.

Thanks for the reply.

You bet! I like coming in here to get others experiences on a particular drug before I try it..

I wanted to comment on the "Remeron rage" thing. I did not experience this at all if it helps. But as usual everybody is different. Just wanted to mention it wasn't a problem for me at all..If anything it took the rage moments away, you know how easily anxiety can turn to what feels like rage. It just didn't happen.

happy thursday ;)

I took my dose about 2 hours ago and yeah. . . I just ate half a box of wheat thins w/cheese and a candy bar. That was just my snack for today. Geez this thing makes me hungry!!!

No rage for me yet, slight irritibility. It doesn't seem to make me as tired as it did the first day I took it which is absolutely thrilling! And I didn't feel weird today during the day either.

It just gives me the muchies. I tried to get plenty of exercise to counteract this earlier today because I am dreading gaining any more weight! I, however, have always been all about instant gratification.

I think this pill will be okay as long as it doesn't make me fat, angry or stupid. Oh yeah, and it WORKS.

But YAY!! The sedation thing is getting better!

BOOO!!! I can't stop eating!

Archived