CrazyBoards.org

Hi i was wondering if it is posible that one may have bipolar and a personality disorder coexisting

Yep, theoretically it can, but you have to make sure that the symptoms of the PD are not better accounted for by an acute bipolar episode (and vice-versa, you have to rule out that bipolar symptoms are not better explained by things like drug abuse / personality disorders).

If your doctor has decided you are schizoid as well as bipolar this is possible.

i was wondering if Schizoid Personality Disorder and Bipolar Disorder and an anxiety order can all be coexisting . Thank you for any help

This was my first Dx (though not my current one ;) ) minus the anxiety component. But yes, it is very possible to have a personality disorder and BP or uipolar depression or anxiety or whatever. But as OscillateWildly pointed out, it can be tricky figuring out if certain symptoms are caused by a PD or BP or a combination of both. This is where a good pdoc comes in handy.

I had that feeling too - when I was first diagnosed with PTSD, I just had the feeling that there was something else under there. Turns out I was right.

Sometimes it's important to treat one disorder first and then see what's left. It takes lots of us a long time to get a full, complete diagnosis, because that involves your psychiatrist/therapist getting to know you, observing you over a prolonged period of time, and making a complete assessment. Also, if you were to medicate the bipolar and see what was left over, it might become easier to see symptoms of other things, if the bipolar symptoms are currently the dominant ones in your clinical picture.

So yeah, some disorders need lots of observation to diagnose and when you have more than one, it can be hard to pick them apart.

Is there one doctor that you're going to be seeing to treat your bipolar? Because that's probably a good next step. Or do you not think you have bipolar at all? Because that would be a different issue entirely. Just a thought ;)

If you have a particular concern, you could always ask your doctor specifically.

Thank you so much for your replies . I have been to see a few doctors and they have all said that I probably have bi polar but after reading about it I felt there was more to it but am still unsure what

Hi. General practice is to treat the mood disorder first. Mood disorders are more transitory. They typically respond to meds or meds and therapy faster than a PD can be treated with therapy. Once the mood disorder is under control, then PD can more effectively be assessed. Additionally, mood disorders can cause a person to behave or act in ways that mimic PDs. For example, a depressed or dysphoric person can become numb, apathetic, uncaring, and withdrawn. Also, a person with bipolar can cope by trying to shut down emotions to minimize mood swings. Theoretically at least, these symptoms and coping mechanisms could resemble Schizoid PD. If they resolve when the mood disorder is stabilized, then there is no co-occurring PD. If they persist after the BP is stabilized, then docs usually evaluate the co-occurrence of a PD.

The above is a generality and isn't intended to imply what's up with you.

edited for spelling

My doc and I haven't talked about it extensively, as I haven't figured out how to describe or explain the things I'm figuring out right now... but I feel like I'm right on the borderline of BP and BPD... but i also feel like I have very few resources around to help me tease out the difference and figure out where I truly sit on the whole bell curve... so I'm just hangin in for now, as the bipolar meds I'm on seem to be working for the most part...

Though I have read all over the place that bipolar and borderline are not only often confused with each other, but are often co-occurring... concurrent? Jeez, where's my english...? Much like addiction and a mood disorder can be experienced together or separately, so can bipolar and a personality disorder...

When I went to see the SSA's disability pdoc, he wrote a report that questioned by BP diagnosis, saying that he thought I had borderline personality disorder instead.

My doctor got a copy of the report. I asked her if she thought he was correct. She affirmed my BP diagnosis, but thought I *could* have BPD in conjunction with the BP. She said she'd have to get a tdoc's input on it to make more sense out of it.

Archived