CrazyBoards.org

well I figured out my problem

For anyone interested, I posted last week in the introduction board. I was having severe anxiety and couldn't figure out why. Turns out that since I have anxiety already ( particularly in social situations ) and my doc put me on buspar, that was why I couldn't sit still for more than half a minute. The label on the bottle said to take 3 x daily as needed. The person who filled the meds made it sound like I was supposed to take it EVERY day, morning noon and night. She also said she confirmed it with my doc because she wasn't sure if it was 2 or 3 x per day.So with that throwing me off and the doctors confirmation, I didn't even question what the bottle said and took it every day, 3 times. Whatever. Did I mention I hate my psychiatrist?

As far as the anxiety goes, it's back to normal.... Reduced, but still there. Hopefully, the paxil will kick in once I've adjusted it to taking a full 10 mg per day and that will help with the depression AND anxiety. Anyone else have experience with paxil they'd like to share?

Bummer about the Buspar. Never took that one before. Glad you got it figured out. I once was given the wrong sleeping pills at the pharmacy - and wondered for three days why I couldn't sleep. Zolpidem and Zaleplon are pretty close, I guess.

I've probably been on paxil, on and off, for 5 years. It made me feel... well, never mind how it made me feel - I'm bipolar, so SSRI's make me funky.

I will say that when I've taken the drug with a mood stabilizer I felt no side effects, except for the usual loss of libido. In other words, it was a generally neutral medication for me. That's a ringing endorsement coming out of my mouth, because I've taken some real lousy meds.

Be careful to step down slowly if you stop paxil... don't go off of it cold turkey unless you have a wish to cause yourself serious hurtin'.

Yeah, I take 15mg BuSpar three times a day. "As needed"? That's more like a benzo thing. Anyway, I have heard that the minimum therapuetic dose of BusPar is about 30mg a day and for a lot of people it will take more than that, if it works at all. I have been taking it for about two months now and haven't really noticed much of a difference besides that I sleep better and don't have stupid nightmares. But my Dr. started ME on 15mg only a day, and I was to slowly build up to 60mg per day, if I needed that much and as long as I tolerated the side effects. So I HAVE done this slowly, no side effects yet! But we added another drug anyway yesterday because lately I've been feeling a lot worse, also upped the BusPar.

I babble. Anyway, in some cases, your symptoms may get worse before they get better, and the pill DOES make some people more jittery and anxious in the beginning, so if you just started taking this pill, maybe you were taking too much right away? I don't know, but it's not meant for on the spot treatment of anxiety. Once you reach the right dosage, it could STILL take a month or more to kick in.

Good luck.

Yup - BuSpar should be taken 3 times a day every day. It needs to be taken a while to build up in your system to the point that's therapeutic. And like Emperor said, it's supposed to be ramped up slowly.

That med might not be the one for you - but the three times a day was correct.

Archived