CrazyBoards.org

I think Lexapro keeps me from feeling full

Does anyone else notice this?  It's so weird.  I think it either delays the "full" signal or eliminates it completely.  Another weird thing I've noticed is that I'm hungriest right after I eat (wtf?)  As a result I've been watching my food intake very closely.  I'm not fat and I'd like to keep it that way.  It's not fair to ask me to trade one serious health problem for another.  Don't get me wrong, though, I won't freak out and demand to be taken off if I gain 5 pounds or anything.

After 4 or 5 days of having close to no appetite at all until about 7pm, this has started to happen to me.  Now I am rather petite and have always been more tolerant of several smaller meals a day, but for the past 3 days I have gotten hungry about an hour after finishing a meal (one of which was an 8 oz delicious ribeye with new baby potatoes, arugula salad, and flourless chocolate cake for dessert  ;) ).  I'll have a small snack of tomatoes, salami, or cheese, but then I'll be hungry AGAIN for the next meal about an hour after that.  Etc.

I'm on my 4th day of 30mg of celexa, after titrating up at 10mg a week.  I guess this could be the case--I know I'm starting to reach a therapeutic dose (although I've also had intermittent crying spells, but that's another issue with the drug).  FWIW, I'm also on 10mg adderall XR in the morning, along with 10-20 mg adderall immediate release twice a day.

I don't recall Zoloft making me this hungry.  The good news is that I love food, but I don't want to get fat either....better start to watch my intake & just plan on having many small meals I guess....?

I don't know about Lexapro, but I am now on Remeron and recall reading somewhere here that remeron does not let you know when you are full and that you could find yourself eating sugar all by itself.  Well after just downing a half of a pecan pie (oh yum, yum,yum) I certainly would have to agree.  I was never much of an eater before my bipolar dx but since then I have steadily been putting on the pounds, started at about 115 and now probably about 160 pounds, oink, oink.  I think with me it is partly because I could always eat whatever I wanted and never gained weight.  That is so not the case now.  Am hoping for a long enough remission from the paralysing depths of depression to start becoming active enough to shape up a bit and to learn how to eat properly.  Hard to do when you live alone but I know it needs to be done.  I guess what I want to say is that I wish you luck re: the food intake and ask that you let me know if you find an easy way to avoid it, short of stomach staples or something, lol.  Stay well, Sulu

Many small meals actually keeps your metabolism going and burns more calories.  Just make sure you aren't consuming more calories. 

I have steadily gained weight for the past 3 years, and I've been on lex the whole time.  I'm not saying it is the med's fault at all, I wasn't (am not now either) exercising and am eating/drinking to self medicate.  Shit happens.  I'll get it off when I feel stable and can pay attention to it. 

Many small meals actually keeps your metabolism going and burns more calories.  Just make sure you aren't consuming more calories. 

I have steadily gained weight for the past 3 years, and I've been on lex the whole time.  I'm not saying it is the med's fault at all, I wasn't (am not now either) exercising and am eating/drinking to self medicate.  Shit happens.  I'll get it off when I feel stable and can pay attention to it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i started gaining weight on effexor and now ive switched over completely to 20mg of lexapro, and the extreme hunger just carried over.  i think i crave more healthy things now on lexapro (i ate junk food on effexor), but i still eat too much!  ;)

I guess what I want to say is that I wish you luck re: the food intake and ask that you let me know if you find an easy way to avoid it, short of stomach staples or something, lol.  Stay well, Sulu

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you have a good idea of what your food intake was like before you started the med?  I'm just keeping a close eye on that and making sure I don't eat any more than before.  Also, after I eat a decent size meal I make sure that I don't eat again for 3-4 hours no matter how hungry I get.  I also make vegetarian dinners and do aerobics and weight training.

Archived