CrazyBoards.org

mood cycles without mania?

I'm looking over the mood chart pdoc gave me, and I can see some highs/lows. I'm sure i've never experienced hypomania, because even when I have a good day (like today) it's still a 7/10, no pressured speech, impulsivity, grandiosity or extreme euphoria. I'm generally worse in the morning (which I know is common in MDD) and there's no guarantee I won't feel suicidal tomorrow. I don't want to sleep, incase it is worse again tomorrow.

Does this just mean that the AD is starting to work and i'm getting breaks from the depression, or could this be some sort of swing that could be helped by a mood stabiliser? I don't think cyclothymia would fit because I meet the MDD criteria.

Obviously i'll ask pdoc, but I wanted your ideas first so I don't look dumb ;)

Also, does your personality affect how hypomania looks? For example, an introverted, consciencious personality have less extreme behaviours when manic than a 'louder' personality?

I think the key for you here is to not think symptoms, think time. In *general*, a hypomania lasts for 4-7 days minimum. That the diagnostic standard, anyway. Yes, there are the ultradian cyclers out there who cycle during the day, but they are the exception to the rule, and let's face it, you'd know by now if you rapid cycled like that.

So, getting back to my point, if your mood "highs" aren't lasting for a week, without a depressive component involved, I would wonder whether or not it was hypomania.

Of course, this is just my opinion. You may do with it what you wish.

What you are describing is not hypomania, but that doesn't mean that so-called mood stabilizers might not help. Many people with cyclic depression, no hypomania, benefit more from mood stabilizers than antidepressants.

Nah I have anxiety, but not extreme energy. Thanks for the input.

Pdoc did mention Lithium as an option very far down the track. It's just good to have some more options for the days when I feel like everything is hopeless. I can put up the Ami today, and I see pdoc this week.

cheers.

Yeah, when I'm "feeling better" after a round of depression, I just feel... well... not really depressed. But when I'm hypo (but not full out manic) I feel this tense compressed energy that makes me want to run around the block 6 or 7 times just so I don't freak out. But running the 6 blocks doesn't actually make the energy dissipate, it just makes my body a little more tired.

I clench my fists and wring my hands and all kinds of stuff like that to deal with the physical pressure inside me when I'm hypo, I just want to crawl out of my skin. That seems to be the base feeling, before anything else... it's how I know which cycle I'm on. When I'm depressed, I do not have that feeling at all, no need to clench my fists or stretch or run.

Then from there, I kinda experience little waves of euphoria, like, I get these brilliant, bloody genius ideas and all of a sudden, a light's on in my head and I race to the internet to do some research or race to the mall to buy some supplies, cause no they can't wait till tomorrow, I need them now now now. Again, this is just my average hypo, this is not what I look like manic.

So, what you're describing does not sound to me like hypomania persay, but I remember that, when I first started to effectively squash some of my depressive episodes with a decent combo of meds, I was really really confused at first because I didn't recognize what it felt like to lack the drops in mood. I sort of read it as hypomania without the surplus anxiety and energy and euphoria, before I realized that those very characteristics meant that it wasn't hypo/mania I was feeling... for myself, I've never really been a normal version of up, it's always either sky-high or underground, no middle.

I imagine for many of us that, since 'normal' doesn't feel normal, 'normal' is kinda hard to recognize when it shows up....

(As well, I echo the disclaimer that none of us here can offer a diagnosis, only our own experiences.)

Archived