CrazyBoards.org

I was wondering what happens to a medication when it is out of date? Obviously there is no way I would even consider putting it in my mouth, but really, what does happen to it? Does it become dangerous? Ineffective? I just find it strange that such  chemicals would be able to have a 'best by' date, for some reason.

Oh, what's in a chemical...?

In general, it is pretty hard to know what happens to any given drug when it goes out of date.  Granted if a drug is stored continuously under ideal conditions (like NOT in your purse, the bathroom, your car) there is is probably a generous leeway for continued effectiveness.  Some drugs just slowly lose potency.

However, there are drugs that become toxic.  Off the top of my head I can recall at least a couple anti-biotics (they are "toxic" to some cells anyway by definition), and I believe I had a scrip for a painkiller that did too.

Do I keep old pills for a while?  Yes. I throw out anti-biotics without question as soon as they aren't needed.  Other stuff, 6 months is reasonable in my mind.

I AM NOT A PHARMACOLOGIST.

A.M.

Here's a site that might answer your question:

http://www.mercola.com/2001/feb/7/drug_expiration.htm

In short:

".. drug maker is required to prove only that a drug is still good on whatever expiration date the company chooses to set.."

"..The expiration date doesn't mean, or even suggest, that the drug will stop being effective after that, nor that it will become harmful"

I would rather err on the side of caution. Yes, I have received samples that were marked with a expired date and received confirmation from a doctor that the pills were in fact still safe. I would still be sure to ask a doctor or a pharmacist re: a particular medication. Along with our MI and other physical health problems why take any chances.

Erika

There are some national chain pharmacies that put an expiration date of 1 year from the rx date, no matter what the actual expiration date is on the bottle they receive.  This means that sometimes the meds are good years (or months) longer than your label says they are and rarely that they are good less time than your label says they are.  Ask your pharmacist.  ;)

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's interesting and as I imagined, that it was more to do with companies wanting to be safe than medications having actual definete expiration dates. It's not something i'd want to play around with though.  ;)

Archived