CrazyBoards.org

Second guessing, constant worrying, ruminating....

Hey Olivia.

I've had some of your problems. For me a combo of meds and therapy has worked. Are you taking any meds right now? Therapy? Please let me know more about your situation. Hang in there, things are gonna get better, promise.

I have the same problems too.  Been on AD's for 10+ years and I'm guessing this hasen't helped it.  Been in therapy for couple months and haven't really touched on this.  Hard to talk about something that makes absolutely no sense to even yourself and when you actually say it outloud it sounds even dumber - even though it doesn't help the matter.  So, all I can give you is comfort in knowing you're not alone and hopefully when I have the guts I'll start bringing it up in therapy. 

My husband goes through the same things. It is the combination of meds and therapy that seems to be helping finally. Meds = Lamictal & Zyprexa..Thereapy = Cognitive Behavior Theraphy with a kick-ass therapist.

I used to have a problem where I'd constantly remember embarassing things I had done and go over them again and again. I went thru a lot of therapy before SSRI's, and it really helped, but it took a long time. I'm guessing it would have gone a lot faster if I'd had the right meds. Not sure how much of this is depression and how much ADD, but if it's anything like the problem I had, therapy can help.

I'm another who believes I'd be toast without a combination of therapy and meds.  Meds will just never get me all the way there.  I had to be on Depakote + Wellbutrin to be able to tolerate dealing with underlying issues and to use cognitive therapy techniques, but I needed to address underlying issues and learn cognitive strategies to deal with my thinking in order to actually enjoy my life and stop obsessing.

Lamictal seems to be a much much better AC for me than Depakote, but even with that, I have too much wreckage and reactivity from my past, and have to learn new ways to cope.  I really suggest trying cognitive therapy; it rocks.

I've been on the Cymbalta at 30 mg. for quite a while....6-9 months.  Bumped it up to 60 mg. about 2 months ago.

I think if I started taking something that was activating (Abilify), I probably would need to get off the Wellbutrin since it already activates me or at least cut it back to 150. I take 300 now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Were the anxiety symptoms present before you started taking Wellbutrin? Anxiety is a common side effect.

I found a therapy website that has helped me a great deal with rumination -

http://www.meaningmatters.co.uk/Depression...topruminat.html

not that I've even sat down and done this - but just thinking of doing this when I start ruminating helps. and man, do I ever ruminate.

by the way - I also ended up with diabetes after the weight gain from Depakote - I've lost the entire weight gain (I'm on trileptal now), but still have the diabetes. Totally sucks. so much for comfort food. I wonder - how many other people have had that happen to them?

"I really suggest trying cognitive therapy; it rocks"

Nars is so right.

I have seen up close the connection between my husbands physically activities and specific mentals states. I have also seen how changing his actions has made it easier for him to change his mindset. Now, changing ingrained behaviors is NOT easy. But when hubby applies CBT methods I can actually see it working.

I don't think he would have gotten out of his horrible depression without it, but the lamictal sure did help!

Archived