CrazyBoards.org

Gained too much on lithium; need to switch

Ok first of all I'm obviously not a doctor and I have really no idea what I'm talking about, seriously.

But have you tried Lamictal? It's working pretty well on me and seems to have a similar effect to Lithium, except maybe less mania-squashing. What is your biggest concern, your mania or your depression?

Oh I forgot to say I can't take Lamictal either, it made me dysphoric or hypomanic.  My biggest  concern is mania. And yes I have diabetes, and cannot take Seroquel or Zyprexa or Risperdal. What else is there to try? My primary care doctor is very concerned about the 30 lb weight gain from the lithium because it affected my diabetes really bad.

Thanks for any suggestions.

You could also go towards one of the typicals, something like Stelazine -- (trifluoperazine), for example. I'm not sure how effective it would be for your kind of mania or diabetes, but some of them are effective meds.

Fiona

Oh I forgot to say I can't take Lamictal either, it made me dysphoric or hypomanic.  My biggest  concern is mania. And yes I have diabetes, and cannot take Seroquel or Zyprexa or Risperdal. What else is there to try? My primary care doctor is very concerned about the 30 lb weight gain from the lithium because it affected my diabetes really bad.

Thanks for any suggestions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For happyhappyjoyjoy mania: Keppra. Gods above, Keppra. Heh. But I'm biased, it was my favorite med evereverevereverevereverever. There are actual studies out there, though-it really is good for happyhappyjoyjoy mania, the new page will be up on www.crazymeds.us/keppra.html soon with links and everything.

For not so happyhappy mania: Trileptal/Tegretol. Something in that realm of things. Topamax is really best suited to ultradian ragey dejavuey types usually...but it does exist. Heh. But if you run straight manic it is unlikely to be much help.

Is that at least a decent start?

Kassiane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks you guys - I'll throw those names at my new pdoc. Meanwhile, I think I may be getting lap band surgery.  See the thread I started about it.

Archived