CrazyBoards.org

Lexapro to Zoloft

Hi All,

My doctor and I had a chat the other day, and she wants me to switch from Lexapro 10mgs to Zoloft 50mgs.  The main reason is that I cannot afford meds at the present time and she is not getting the samples of Lexapro anymore.  Forest Labs does have a med assistance program and I've contacted them regarding it.

When I asked her about the switch, she said just stop the Lexapro and begin taking the Zoloft.  That didn't make any sense to me.

Has anyone done this? 

Thanks for the input,

Jan

Theoretically, switching from one SSRI to another shouldn't be a problem as long as your dosages are equivalent. Here is a quote from the main Crazymeds site regarding dosage equivalents:

SSRI dosage equivalents: 20mg Celexa (citalopram hydrobromide) = 5mg Lexapro (escitalopram oxalate) = 50mg Luvox (fluvoxamine maleate) = 20mg Paxil (paroxetine hydrochloride) = 20mg Prozac (fluoxetine hydrochloride) = 50mg Zoloft (sertraline hydrochloride) = 75mg of Effexor (venlafaxine hydrochloride). One study has shown that Celexa (citalopram hydrobromide) is the best intermediary drug when rotating SSRIs.

The Zoloft dose might be a little light, but frequently people get few or mild side effects from reasonable dosage changes.

I hope it works well for you. Keep us posted.

Greeny

Hi Greeny,

Thanks for the reply.  I did research using several different websites for the dosage equiv's and found 10 of Lexi is equal to 50 of Zoloft.  My concern was switching like this immediately, as I've never experienced it.

Years ago the MD added 40mgs of Prozac to the 100mgs of Pamelor I was taking and that didn't bother me.  I eventually ramped down to 50mgs of Pamelor with the intention of stopping it completely.  Coming off the Pamelor was not easy even with the Prozac in my system.  Eventually I weaned off the Prozac and was med free for about 8 months.

The anxiey came back and was controlled using 1mg of Klonopin which I still take at bedtime.  Lexapro was added two plus years ago.  I've been doing well on this combo but now its the financial issues that are the problem.  The drug reps are pushing cymbalta and zoloft so those are the candies of choice at the present time for samples.

I was leary of switching like this cold turkey.....I appreciate your concern.

All The Best,

Jan

Thanks Cat!  Its good to talk to others that have done this.  I'm sure there will be some SE's as usual.  So far I'm in a job that allows for fog brain as they know of my condition.  Had a slight relapse here following a string of stresses I could not escape from.  My hours were cut at work and the work load INCREASED; my relationship of 2 years collapsed because of womanizing and leading to serious medical issues........aarrgghh. I needed two months off to get my bearing back.

I had taken on a second job only to refuse it today as I know it will put more on my plate than I can handle right now. Switching meds was not something I was looking forward to while trying to juggle two positions.  Something had to be eliminated.  Job #2.

Lexi was an easy take for me.......slight headaches in the beginning of treatment and a bit of disassociation and insominia but that passed within two weeks.  I felt the mood lift within that time period.  The MD increase the dosage to 20mgs and I could not sleep, despite the Klonopin.......way too much for me.

OK, I'm fairly convinced I can do this without a lot of upset physically now.  I'll get in the usual mind-set of moving on and go for it.  I'll let you know how I get on.

Glad to hear you're doing well on the Paxil.......

Jan

Jan, with that optimistic attitude, Im sure it will be ok!

Will cross my fingers and toes for you. I hope after you are settled on a med, your life settles right in with it. I hate when it seems everything is going sideways.

It sounds like even through all you are dealing with that you realize taking care of yourself is the most important thing. Kudos.

Please do let us know how it goes. Every experience is a help to someone else.

CC~

• 5 weeks later...

Archived