CrazyBoards.org

lexapro and ssri's

I have been on lexapro for 2 weeks now and feel tired, disconnected, not motivated to do anything, and just lazy.

Do all the ssri's do this stuff? 

I tried prozac at 120mg, as I worked my way up and it did work for the anxiety but made me feel the same way, just "I don't care" sort of attitude.

I take klonopin as needed and that works well but I guess that it makes me tired and doesn't work with the obsessive thinking, anyone got ideas on what else I can try?

there's always wellbutrin.  or massive amounts of caffeine.  that's what i rely on for motivation/excitement etc.  i felt similar on lexapro.  about the only thing it did for me was i guess snuff out all of my anxiety, but it didn't help with depression or motivation and i still kept obsessing on it.  i tried adding wellbutrin for one week but it gave me pretty bad headaches.  i kidn of wish i would have tried to stick it out though to see if it would help me.  the first month on lexapro or any ssri can be kind of weird though.  i felt kind of drowsy at times during the first couple of weeks, and then never drowsy again on them.  so this may just be a phase.  good luck with it.  what dose are you at?

Wellbutrin does have bit of pep to it, however it is not good for anxiety. You didn't mention any problem with that so it may be ok. Many who have an underlying anxiety issue feel it is magnified on WB. It made me highly irritable and I am a calm person.  You can go up a board and read much about it, lots of posts both pro and con.

It does seem all ssri's can give a disconnectedness, the "whatever" affect. For some of us that is a good thing! For me it does lessen and I eventually feel pretty normal.

2 weeks into it isn't very long, still have time for that particular SE/mood to settle.

CC~

Um ok i saw a few of your other posts where you state you DO deal with anxiety.

Hopefully someone will be able to give you more answers about specific meds that

helped in a similar situation.

My anxiety only seems to respond to paxil. The most sedating ssri they say, and yes I have some disconnected times, but not all the time and not troubling.

I hope you find one that works for you. I still don't know if I would judge one at only 2 weeks.

CC~

Guest PinkToo2grrl

i am on lexapro 20 mg and it kicks ass on my depression and anxiety, at least as far as the way i feel it ...

but i do have that total lack of motivation ... and it fucks with me, so i will be adding strattera, or switching to cymbalta ...

BUT ... you really need to go 4-6 weeks on any med before making a decision on its efficacy.  it's  not a matter of what works and what doesnt.  its a matter of which key fits the particular brain chemistry makeup of YOU.  and it takes 4-6 weeks to both get over start up side effects, AND let the medicine start working.  the ssri effects tend to be cumulative, while the side effects are more immediate.

good luck

that is true, but I have heard many other people have this sort of total lack of motiviation and stuff so that isn't very good really.

I know about giving them time but I have been on quite a few ssri's and that is why I wonder if I just need something different.

i am on lexapro 20 mg and it kicks ass on my depression and anxiety, at least as far as the way i feel it ...

but i do have that total lack of motivation ... and it fucks with me, so i will be adding strattera, or switching to cymbalta ...

BUT ... you really need to go 4-6 weeks on any med before making a decision on its efficacy.  it's  not a matter of what works and what doesnt.  its a matter of which key fits the particular brain chemistry makeup of YOU.  and it takes 4-6 weeks to both get over start up side effects, AND let the medicine start working.  the ssri effects tend to be cumulative, while the side effects are more immediate.

good luck

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archived