CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
mika

What does your display name mean?

I thought it would be cool to start a topic about what our display names mean? They're all a little funky. And I thought it would be cool to tell the story or maybr you don't have one. We did this on another forum and it was kinda fun. We were talking about this in the chat room.

I will start with mine I guess.

Mika:

I was out with my friends at a bar. I am german-american. I was holding two mugs of beer (one in each hand) and I was wearing 2 braids. Someone said, "You look like the St. Paulie's girl! Let's name you Mika, 'Mika, the German girl'!" So ever since then my friends joke around and call me Mika. Not "Meeka" but it sounds like mYka. The 33 is my fave number.

Okay, your turn ;)

Umm, well, mine actually has a crazy backstory.

When I was a younger teen, I was severely needle phobic. So I used "trypanophobia" as a username on various sites. But everyone called me Tryp anyway, so now I go by Tryp, since trypanophobia is wicked long and has a meaning that I don't want to be wandering around with, especially on an MI website and especially when I'm not phobic anymore and it's pretty much the least of my MI problems.

So there you have it ;)

Umm, well, mine actually has a crazy backstory.

When I was a younger teen, I was severely needle phobic. So I used "trypanophobia" as a username on various sites. But everyone called me Tryp anyway, so now I go by Tryp, since trypanophobia is wicked long and has a meaning that I don't want to be wandering around with, especially on an MI website and especially when I'm not phobic anymore and it's pretty much the least of my MI problems.

So there you have it ;)

I was wondering what yours meant, actually, cause I like it! And I LOVE that you used the word, "wicked". You must live in or near Mass. :)

Heh, not at all :) I live in Montreal ;) But I did grow up in NYC, if that helps.

There are other variations that I go by too. If I can't have Tryp, I sometimes go by Trypan or occasionally Trypie. On Twitter, I go by Tryptrap. I've even been known to go by Trypiekins occasionally, but only in a very joking internet context or a context where nobody I care about is going to be seeing my username :)

Edited by tryp

I LOVE that you used the word, "wicked". You must live in or near Mass. ;)

Shit, that word is STILL popular up there?

i was in a particularly strong "try to cbt yourself out of it" frame of mind when it came to choosing my screen name, I think. trying to do that whole make the most of it and hang on for dear life mindset. hence, dancing outside, even though it's raining...just trying to get what you can out of the darker days until the sun comes back out.

I LOVE that you used the word, "wicked". You must live in or near Mass. ;)

Shit, that word is STILL popular up there?

Wow. The first time I really heard people using the word "wicked" in regular conversation was *upstate* NY.

There is a similar thread titled: [link=http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4234&hl=username" target="_blank]How did you come up with your username?[/link]

oh crap, figures. Didn't want to search forever though.

Actually, I think there are two threads - and the last one is linked to the older one... now we have this one. ;)

Good ideas never die...

There is a similar thread titled: [link=http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4234&hl=username" target="_blank]How did you come up with your username?[/link]

oh crap, figures. Didn't want to search forever though.

Actually, I think there are two threads - and the last one is linked to the older one... now we have this one. ;)

Good ideas never die...

:)

Variation of ex-favourite author Cecilia Dart-Thornton (The Ill-made Mute / The Iron Tree series).

darkthorn, I always wondered if your handle had to do with the poem "The Thorn" by Wordsworth.

;) Anyone triggered by motherhood/death/babies/just general upset probably shouldn't look it up, though, it's triggery

Are too! Am not! Are too! Am not! and so on.

Wow, I feel so very very stupid for not getting this one earlier!

I've had my user name forever. I've tried to change it a few times, but I always come back to this one. I guess it means something to me. A connection to the past or something. It started out as pather which was blend of my maiden name and my first married name, but then I added the al which came from my second married name. (I'm divorced now and go by my maiden name).

But, put it all together and you get patheral. I've had it now for about nine years, and I like it. I think it sounds all mystical and such. It's hardly ever taken on any forum - unless I've signed up and forgot about it ;) - so I guess I'll keep it.

Phoenix (mythology), a mythical bird that dies in flames and is reborn from the ashes
There are several versions of the Phoenix story, but what appeals to me is that the Phoenix is destroyed by fire time and time again, but always rises from the ashes to live again. I see an analogy b/t the Phoenix and my life in that I have, several times, completely lost myself to illness only to find myself rising again.

The "rising" portion of my screen name represents the fact that I'm currently in transition, trying to rise from the ashes once again.

It's hardly ever taken on any forum - unless I've signed up and forgot about it ;) - so I guess I'll keep it.

Haha, that happens to me too. I'm like "Hey, who the hell took my username? Oh wait..." :)

I played a gypsy in my Year 12 play many moons ago (Mrs Dai Bread Two in Under Milkwood by Dylan Thomas). I've got gypsyish hair, curly brown/red, & love thinking of myself in that image. The Misty was originally mist, as in missed/passed by, but that sounded a little too self-pitying & Misty is a pretty name :)

& I have a ring in my nose which is kinda gypsyish ;)

Edited by MistyGypsy