I s'pose it's not polite to stare....

I'm glad to have found this place, and that it's somewhere I can pretty much be myself.

A bit of history: This is the first mental health forum I have posted on. I have primarily been posting on addiction support forums for the past few years, as I had a serious problem with binge drinking at some points during my life. For many years, when I have not been properly medicated with psych meds, I used to self-medicate with alcohol. Sometimes I combined the two, with quite literally disastrous results. I have not been labeled "dual-diagnosis", however. In an effort to 'get my act together', so to speak, I have remained sober for almost a year, and have no hangups in that department.

I do post regularly on a 'mental health' sub-forum of an addiction website, but I find myself pretty much alone when it comes to my specific diagnoses/medication issues. I do love my friends there dearly, as they are as supportive as can be; I just finally decided it might be a good idea to reach out to a broader community of individuals who share some of the same struggles in an effort to enhance my recovery.

I have been through the mental health system on and off since I was a teen, and last November, finally decided to get serious about my treatment when it hit home that my condition(s) had only continued to deteriorate over the years without a comprehensive treatment plan. I have been seeing my current pdoc since February, and my meds are still being tweaked. The majority of my diagnoses have pretty much just become 'official' after proper testing, and my therapist and I are currently exploring a myriad of options relative to different therapeutic techniques.

Thanks for listening, and for having me.

smile.gif

Thanks, Bluelikejazz, and to the others for all the replies; it means a whole lot to feel welcome. It's hard for me to "connect" with people in the 3d world, so the only real friends I have are online (which is actually fine by me, however 'abnormal' it is). I'm very happy to be here.

Instead of me doing all the staring, I really do feel like I'm being stared at now, lol.

shower.gif

I thought I'd add a few things with regard to my current condition. With the schizoaffective d/o, paranoia is one of the symptoms which continues to plague me, sometimes bordering on full-blown delusions; my Seroquel hasn't quite reached the therapeutic dose for either the schizoaffective d/o or the bipolar II. Today is a good day; tomorrow may not be. My ADD is also currently untreated, the complications of which are a major obstacle to my recovery and life in general. The Lexapro is doing so-so for the depression; it's my last hope in the SSRI department. I'm thinking of Strattera as both an adjunct to the anti-d and as treatment for the ADD. I have a mitral valve prolapse, so stimulants are a last resort due to the cardiac risks. The Xanax has been a lifesaver in the anxiety department. It's worked when nothing else has, and really takes the edge off the majority of my various disorder-triggered stressors. I have been taking it on and off for many years, and feel very fortunate that I have never become addicted. Other than that, give or take a few stormy days now and then, I consider myself fairly stable.

P.S. My GAF is around 40.

Hi Olga. My apologies. "GAF" is an acronym for "Global Assessment of Functioning", a scale used by mental health professionals to determine a person's overall level of functioning. Here's a link to a Wikipedia article which explains it better than I can:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Assessment_of_Functioning

Welcome to CB!!

The only thing that ever touched my severe paranoia was Geodon. My past AAP list is on my profile if you are curious. As for treating the ADD, its difficult. The usual treatments of STimulants is hard to get because they can cause psychosis. I have have ADHD and currently untreated for it.

I wish you luck! See you around smile.gif

Hi Mckey. My pdoc suggested Geodon at one point, but I'm kind of stubborn in that I refuse to take a med unless I research it first. Turns out, Geodon has major cardiac risks, to the point where if a person has a history of cardiac related problems, it's recommended that the pdoc and cardiologist consult with one another prior to prescribing it. Not only that, but one of Geodon's active ingredients is fluoxetine - the same ingredient in Prozac - which is a drug I had a very unfavorable reaction to some years ago. I couldn't believe she was going to prescribe Geodon. I was like, "Didn't she read my file??" I know I wrote down my mitral valve prolapse and reaction to Prozac in my initial paperwork. It's a damn good thing I didn't take it. I was so pissed, I was going to write "See Chart" on my forehead with a red marker before my next visit.

Thanks for the input on stimulants, tho. I didn't know they can cause psychotic symptoms - I don't need any more of those. I'm hoping I'll have some luck with Strattera.

Thanks also for the welcome....

smile.gif

Archived