Just wondering if anyone knows of any remedies (besides diphenhydramine, which sent me to the ER) that can help with akathisia.  My old psychiatrist wouldn't prescribe over the phone, and I don't see my new psychiatrist until mid-December.  My psychiatrist called me and told me to make an appointment with her "next Thursday"; as it turned out, "next Thursday" was actually Thanksgiving (she's not very good with dates, seeing as she cancels a good 30-50% of my appointments and reschedules them at later times).

Any input is much appreciated!

There are plenty of remedies for akathesia, but the ones that aren't benadryl are prescription only.

Can you try to get your pdoc to prescribe something over the phone, since she missed your appointment? Or get her to give you a walk-in (even if you have to wait awhile, it may be the quickest way to be seen.) Akathesia is miserable.

Anna

There are plenty of remedies for akathesia, but the ones that aren't benadryl are prescription only.

Can you try to get your pdoc to prescribe something over the phone, since she missed your appointment? Or get her to give you a walk-in (even if you have to wait awhile, it may be the quickest way to be seen.) Akathesia is miserable.

Anna

She's in MA, and I'm in CT. I've gone to the ER twice for issues with medication and they haven't prescribed me anything. It's becoming really annoying now >.> .

Nope. They're all prescription. Propranolol/metoprolol and Cogentin or Akineton would be the next ones, usually, for a student. Beta-blockers plus Seroquel can make one prone to orthostatic hypotension, but a) you don't need high-dose beta-blockers for akathisia, b) if you're expecting it, it's not a surprise and you plan for it.

You can see if your psychiatrist will talk to your GP to have him or her evaluate you. Or if there's a psychiatric specialty emergency room in your area, they may be able to evaluate and manage.

If it's just at night or with prolonged immobility, and it's closer to restless legs syndrome (which wouldn't be surprising with Seroquel), do make sure someone evaluates you for iron deficiency anemia.

Vitamin E is sometimes added on with APs, but it's as a preventive, not a treatment, and the evidence is weak.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone knows of any remedies (besides diphenhydramine, which sent me to the ER) that can help with akathisia. My old psychiatrist wouldn't prescribe over the phone, and I don't see my new psychiatrist until mid-December. My psychiatrist called me and told me to make an appointment with her "next Thursday"; as it turned out, "next Thursday" was actually Thanksgiving (she's not very good with dates, seeing as she cancels a good 30-50% of my appointments and reschedules them at later times).

Any input is much appreciated!

Google akathesia and Benedryl. i believe it's a common ER fix for it. in a pinch if i don't have benzos it's worked amazing for me.

Archived