CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
LilacOutsideMyWindow

"just exercise and eat better"

Exercise doesn't do jack for my mood. I used to do martial arts and run several miles a day. Still batshit. I tend to exercise most when I'm sympomatic, actually, even when depressed - the self-loathing thing sets in and I "self-medicate" by exercising and using expensive hair products. I love Aveda.

The closest thing I've come to a cure is what's on my sig line - but even that's not perfect by any means.

That said, I still think that exercise and eating right is a great idea. It's good for your body. Plus it makes it easier to go up a flight of stairs.

Edited by rowen

It sure as hell HELPS, but, no, it's not a cure.

It's definitely symptomatic for me when that stuff gets way out of whack.

Too much caffeine - even if lithium is adjusted for it - will make me weird, I've learned. Even if I'm still sleeping. Cutting out breakfast makes me weird. Living on nothing but Diet Coke and Triscuits and almonds (we buy these things in bulk at the office) makes me weird. Running or the equivalent for 3h a day makes me weird, and beats the crap out of my joints as a bonus.

But most of those behaviors, in retrospect, are symptomatic of other rhythms that have been disrupted. I'm good about diet, mostly, and I move my body around daily.

When I get the diet/exercise back into place, then the basic rhythms I need seem to fall back into place as well. I don't know how to put it more coherently.

I get where you're all coming from, thanks for chiming in.

Of course it's not going to be a "cure", but keeping body healthy even when mind is fucked makes a lot of sense (I'm just not there right now).

Silver:

When I get the diet/exercise back into place, then the basic rhythms I need seem to fall back into place as well.

That sounds reasonable.

I guess now I just need to figure out how to get diet/exercise in place when I'm emotionally all over the place.

"Whereas with bipolar II, you might have an instance where someone is relatively ok and can stay that way based on diet and exercise"

Care to throw some case studies my way? I'd love to see factual information as to diet and exercise being the sole elements of someone's stability.

And, being bipolar is being bipolar. Bipolar II can fuck with a person's life just as BP I can and I don't think it's very supportive to minimalize those suffering (yes, SUFFERING) from any type of bipolar disorder.

I realize I'm speculating, but the intent was never to minimize anything, especially suffering. I do find the DSM IV to be flawed when it comes to bipolar and this disease can be so dependent on environmental factors that it might, might be possible. I can tell I'm going to be crucified no matter what though, so I'm going to stop here.

I guess it's clear enough then that it's an individual thing. Tdocs are quite helpful sorting that kind of thing out I've found.

I find that when I exercise (read: walk more), eat better (read: actually eat those thingies that grow, whaddyacallem? Oh yeah, fruits and veggies), and get my sleep cycle in order ;) (sorry, having trouble with that lately) my mood swings are much more manageable.

That, of course, is with my medication.

I once thought I could control my bipolar with diet and exercise. I was so *so* wrong. But it took me nearly 20 years to admit that I might need more than will power, diet, and exercise. Perhaps the people on the other site are deluding themselves into thinking that they're "better" when they exercise and eat right. *shrug*

No. (I'm not all that stable though.)

People who think MI's can be cured by diet and exercise are idiots. Ignore them if they refuse to listen to reason. Trying to remain healthy by eating right, getting exercise etc. is good for everyone, but it just isn't enough for crazy people.

It depends upon the brand of crazy. Some personality disorders need to be treated by therapy rather than meds, and diet and exercise does make a shit-ton of difference in many cases. I'd also advocate good diet and habits in general for everybody, regardless. You sure as hell can't treat BPI or any disorder in that spectrum that way, but it makes a difference.

So, the answer to the OP's question is a resounding "no." But I dislike idiots who think that they can take a pill and not have to examine their habits in the slightest as much as the morons who think that vitamins cure everything.

EDIT - Err...not to suggest that the post I was replying to implied as much. It just seemed like the most appropriate post to reply to.

I agree with this. While it might not "cure" you, I don't think anyone can say that working out and eating healthy is ever a bad thing.

I guess now I just need to figure out how to get diet/exercise in place when I'm emotionally all over the place.
Yeah, well, that's kind of the million dollar question, isn't it.

I can do it if it's not too far out of sync, and I can do it if I focus on one thing at a time for 1 or 2 weeks - as in "I'll take the dog for a run 20 minutes per day" (or "I won't run more than an hour," because that's the other way stuff gets out of control.) If I try to alter more than 1 thing at a time, I can't handle it. Other people may be able to handle more complexity, but I can't juggle that kind of stuff.

yoga is really great for those days when you don't really wanna exercise. beginner yoga is just a series of gentle poses that really center you. even 15 minutes of yoga can make you feel pretty good.

try it

--lluv

Yoga is a good plan. I have some yoga dvds even.

But then all my excuses start to come into play - namely the kiddos, and husbands inconsistent work schedule (never totally sure when he'll be home)...blah blah.

I did run on an ellipitical yesterday. My daughter takes ballet at a rec center I already have a pass to, so that really helps eliminate the excuses. Maybe if I just do that, every week, even if it's only 1 day a week, it'll at least be something (oh, how I can beat myself though, with the "if it's only once a week, why bother" - hush stupid negative mind voice!).

Bonus: I find if I do Pilates or yoga at home, I also manage to pick up a LOT of dog and cat hair if I just use the rug. So that allows me to get housework and exercise in at the same time.

Two goals in one!

(the slatternliness of my house is directly proportionate to my mental status)