CrazyBoards.org

I had a glass of red wine with dinner on Valentines Day with the husband. I didn't even finish it. Otherwise, I have stayed away from it. There's been a couple days I've had real urges to drink, but I got through. (This bad weather and me being near broke has helped)

It's real important that I stay away from alcohol right now. I'm depressed again, and feeling sometimes strong urges to self harm. Chances are that I won't act on them, but if I drink, it increases the risk. I'm talking from experience.

• 2 months later...

I've taken the leap off the drunk train and onto the sober one I'm at day 10. Still want a drink and feel It would help (I know it wont). The real test will come when we have to go out somewhere as I cant remember doing anything social without a drink for the past 25 years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

thanks!!

I wanted to share one of my strategies....

schedule something early in the morning - something you cannot be hungover for - like tomorrow I'm getting up at 4am to go to an indoor bike class that runs from 6-9am....

drinking tonight is absolutely not an option lol

this is a great strategy..never heard of it from anyone or anything i have read. i think i will have to try it and find something to make me busy about.. thanks!  :)

I've been doing so good..

And then..these last 3 days sucked.

And looking objectively at it..I can't be drinking. I will end up self destructing..eventually a trip to the hospital for another suicide attempt.

Not. This. Time.

I don't know if it's right to post here when you're still drinking, but I really want to stop. I know that I'm self medicating, but my coping skills just frigging suck. I've tried AA but my experience of it here in Australia really sucks. There's no structure, I've never been offered a sponsor or seen it happen. Here it just seems like people telling war stories, there's no tools to help you stop. And really, I'm not an alcoholic. But I do have a problem, I own that.

But I do rely on something to self medicate... I don't really care what it is. So it's still an addictive kind of thing right? Addiction to bad self medicating?

I'm going to try to have tomorrow as day one. I liked the idea of getting up and being busy. I'm going to drag my arse out of bed at 5:30 when my Boyfriend does and go for a jog. This is a great thread, it's good not to feel alone and have some hope in change.

It's always ok to post here as long as the general idea is to get healthier.

So I started going off again.. Having a few drinks or more 3 days in a row.. And I did nip it in the bud. I feel good about the decision yet weak because urges still there. I want to ask husband or brother to take remaining alcohol but embarrassed.

• 3 weeks later...

OK folks, here goes.  I'm on day two.  I hadn't had a really bad incident in a while, but I got really drunk twice in three days, drunk called/texted my ex-husband to yell at him twice, walked out of a restaurant in the middle of dinner and had an enormous blow out with one of my brothers.  Sometimes I can have a glass or two of wine and be fine, others I reach the point of no return and a train wreck ensues.  I once went for about 10 months without drinking, so here's to beating that mark.