CrazyBoards.org

R2 - I know why you're sober! It's because you didn't drink! Pretty simple, yeah? Kills me every time.

Glitter - spaces is right - dump that shit down the drain. Leaving it in the trunk of the car just means you're gonna drink it later, right? Get rid of it.

I'm still sober. 19 days. I'm hoping the worst of the detox is over - the headaches, the nausea, the ITHCHING.

Now I'm just anxious and jittery and a little frazzled. Checkin' in. Millie

I know why you're sober! It's because you didn't drink!

;)

Thing is, I have no idea why I haven't. Not that it really matters...

when you go to sleep at night, no matter how shitty the day may have been, if you did NOT drink, then it was a good day ;)

so take it easy, pat urself on the back and go to sleep

my sponsor said to me one day, when I had had a really crappy day, that because I did not turn to a drink, like i always USED to do when i was having a crappy day, that it's a little miracle

After some soul searching in the past few days I've decided to quit drinking. The last time I drank was Wednesday night. I did not drink last night, although it was offered to me, and I don't plan on drinking tonight. I've realized that alcohol is causing a problem in my relationships and I need to stop drinking to salvage what's left of them.

thanks!!

I wanted to share one of my strategies....

schedule something early in the morning - something you cannot be hungover for - like tomorrow I'm getting up at 4am to go to an indoor bike class that runs from 6-9am....

drinking tonight is absolutely not an option lol

No that's dedication! keep it up, and remember that it IS possible.

After some soul searching in the past few days I've decided to quit drinking. The last time I drank was Wednesday night. I did not drink last night, although it was offered to me, and I don't plan on drinking tonight. I've realized that alcohol is causing a problem in my relationships and I need to stop drinking to salvage what's left of them.

That's great! I find it ironic that alcohol is supposed to be a "social lubricant" but for so many of us, it ruins our relationships.

I quit drinking a couple of weeks ago, because I found that it interfered with my meds too much. I would get headaches, dysphoria, etc. I am at a point now where I want long-term treatment solutions, and stability. Alcohol simply does not provide that in me, so I cut it out of my life. I miss beer, as I am a craft brew fan, but I can live without it. I still go to bars and have fun. I just drink Diet Coke, usually for free. They think I am a designated driver, even if I came there alone haha.

I'm quitting drinking (at least for a few months) because I would get so viciously angry and mean towards my boyfriend. It's ruining our relationship. I am on day 8 now. We hung out together last night and he drank a few glasses of wine. I was tempted, but I didn't drink. I can't risk it anymore.

I'm secretly hoping that my not drinking will help him cut back a bit. He is a bit of a problem drinker, and is on meds where he shouldn't be drinking nearly as much as he does. So hopefully this will lead to the both of us being healthier people.

Thank you and continued success to you

The NO drinks club

This is for the weak at heart

This doesn't mean you can't ever drink again

You just can't drink today

and you have to say this everyday ;)

you know who you are.....

1. the lineup of meds are already taxing your liver

2. the drinks bring on the deep ugly depression the meds are trying to keep at bay

3. the hangovers not only drive you depression deeper, they are far worse than ever before

********worse hangovers are because your liver can't deal with the meds + booze********

4. While some nights you can get away with 1 or 2.... other nights its like 6+

We are the ones that our friends and family may not even know our problems with alcohol

****and we never tell them******

So come one, come all....

I'm at 5 weeks tonight.... this was a hard post to create because I'm putting myself on the line, making myself accountable ....

take a stand

make a commitment

right now

and post often - when it is easy and you feel proud of avoiding drinks AND when it is hard to not drink but you figure a way to not drink - share your strategies!!

Be proud of each day you don't drink and be sure to post about it!! :)

VE Here, Adding spam to the post

The crazystore section on addition is here. It's deliberately 12-step agnostic.

Last night I went to a birthday party and didn't even have a SIP of alcohol. It wasn't easy though. Although I knew people at the party, they were mostly my boyfriend's friends and towards the end of the night (we had been there for 7 HOURS) I started to get really, really anxious. I just couldn't deal with it. I came close to crying from my anxiety. I'm glad I didn't drink though. I need to deal with this anxiety sober if I ever want to fix it.

It's been 13 days without drinking! :)

I have just started my best attempt at sobriety. I'm 23 and up until this week, the last time i was sober for more than 4 days was 4 years ago. Within the past year I had gotten to the point of drinking when I woke up, when i got back from class, during lunch, after I was done with class for the day, dinner time, and then whatever it took to knock me out to sleep. I also had been using it to mask my depression, which i know know only made me feel worse. I tried to quit about 6 months ago, but only made it 3 days because nobody thought I was serious, and everybody, even my GF at the time, kept pressuring me to go out with them to the bars. As soon as i walked in, even if i had told myself not to drink or told somebody not to let me buy anything, I always ended up drunk, and would always drive home. I just broke up with my gf a few months ago, finally saw a doctor about how I felt and got some meds, and this week I've made it 6 days. I moved back in with my parents, and had to ask them to keep their beer in the outside fridge because I know if I see it it will be to hard to reach past it for something else. I gave my brother some of my liquor and poured the rest out.

Tonight I've spent the night searching the web for help and found this site and this post. My friends still don't get it and continue to pressure me to come out with them, but i've finally found the strength to say no. I could be out with my best friend at the bars, or across the street with the girl I really like at a party, but i have been able to stay home and just drinking water until I can fall asleep. It's nice to know that there are others out there struggling too and would understand, and I really I hope I can make this work!

Glad you posted, dirty mike.

I am part of the no drinks club and have been for some time.

I do/did find AA helpful, at least initially, for findign some social interaction arouund not drinking and support. You may or may not find it to be such.

Either way, friends who support your recovery and not drinking are utterly essential. YOu can find such folks, usually, at art clubs, (take up pottery, it's satisfying), dance clubs that don't have bars (like ballroom dancing) bowling places that are for kids more than adults, hiking clubs, and other things like that. Replace, replace, replace.

Becoming a hermit is NOT the answer, and if your friends are true alcoholics, it is going to be extremely uncomfortable for them and you at first to accept the "new you" as it were.

I no longer need to avoid alcohol and socila events to drink, and even when first getting sober i was a waitress so i was pouring booze. For me, the dangers were friends and seomteims family. My dad used to offer me booze all the time because he's a drunk and literally could not help himself. Now, with some time, we have beeen able to have tranquil lunches together where he has a beer or two and I haev a coke. It's nice.

But it is a process! congratulate yourself on your days of sobriety and explore all options out there. Smart recovery works for some who don't want to go the whole higher power route. Like I said, I found AA very helpful, but I got sober in a part of the counry where AA was very gentle and up to date. Others have shared simply horrible experiences, so you'd have to check it out and your thoughts on the matter.

I wish you the best of luck, and if you keep posting, I will definitely keep responding. this is a great thread that deserves ressurection.

I cook with booze, btw, love the taste, but the effects do me wrong and a I am a russian genetic etoh blackout drinker and I cannot handle a drink safely AT ALL. total abstinence has to be my way in life.

Anna

It's been about 6 months since the last time i have had a drink ...the last time was at a wedding and i didn't drink very much .... but i sometimes feel i want to drink even now after all this time .

I feel that am in control of it and can avoid drinking most of the time ....but i feel that when my sister is up she has drink and i feel i want it but my sister is hardly ever up here .

I wish my sister wouldn't drink while she is up here. but i dont want to argue with her about it .

When I started this thread 15 months ago, I just wanted to reach out to others in my position. Ultimately I needed real life help in addition to online help. Found it in AA and now I have 15 months of sobriety, no depression, off all meds, gained weight back, lost my nutso triathlon obsession and I'm working and saving money.

They say u have to change your playmates and play yard after quitting booze, so no more bars for me lol and really since I lost the obsession to drink, I also lost the desire to spend alot of time with people who do drink (sorry dad) :-)

Anyway, it's great to see people still posting here, hang in there, it's well worth the effort to get on this journey of life that is no longer clouded with drunk nites and hungover mornings

(or both lol).

Guest Arly

There is another book that is really good called "Living Sober". It happens to be an AA book, but is not about the 12 steps and other stuff. It is about early days and facing real-life situations when trying to stay sober.

I imagine it's available online from book sites or in self-help book shops. Have a look at it if you get the chance.

I was 15 years sober Oct 2010. I think recovering can get to a point, as it did with me, that it changes from getting away from the bad stuff to enjoying the good stuff and growing. I happen to work the 12 steps and go to meetings to be there for others (the meetings alone don't do the job), but even the AA book says that AA has no monopoly on alcoholism recovery. It ain't the only game in town.

Have a great 24, everyone.

Arly

Living sober is a great book. Lots of practical, real world advice with NONE of the spirituality stuff thrown in, for those it triggers. just erally simple stuff about how to stay away from Etoh.

Anna

When I started this thread 15 months ago, I just wanted to reach out to others in my position. Ultimately I needed real life help in addition to online help. Found it in AA and now I have 15 months of sobriety, no depression, off all meds, gained weight back, lost my nutso triathlon obsession and I'm working and saving money.

They say u have to change your playmates and play yard after quitting booze, so no more bars for me lol and really since I lost the obsession to drink, I also lost the desire to spend alot of time with people who do drink (sorry dad) :-)

Anyway, it's great to see people still posting here, hang in there, it's well worth the effort to get on this journey of life that is no longer clouded with drunk nites and hungover mornings

(or both lol).

15 months of sobriety!! That's great, how absolutely wonderful.

Thanks water!! seems like yesterday that i made the choice to quit. Course it didn't feel like that back then, a day felt like a month lol

Anna, just this morning at my AA meeting, i had my hands on that Living Sober book - I'm gonna look it over next week. They say that when you think of something or someone twice, you should make a call or take positive action.

15 months of sobriety!! That's great, how absolutely wonderful.

Hi,

I just turned 21 this year and I have Bipolar Disorder and ADHD.

It's been 4 months now since I quit drinking and I feel A LOT better every day! There are a lot of benefits to it!

I got to the point where I started drinking vodka like it was beer and I realized I'm never gonna get better if I keep drinking.

P.S: I still think about drinking every day and have to keep telling myself that I made the right decision. It sounds easy, but it's really not and my best friend just turned 21 too and it sucks that I can't do out much when she wants to go or I can drink if we do go somewhere.

The NO drinks club

This is for the weak at heart

This doesn't mean you can't ever drink again

You just can't drink today

and you have to say this everyday ;)

you know who you are.....

1. the lineup of meds are already taxing your liver

2. the drinks bring on the deep ugly depression the meds are trying to keep at bay

3. the hangovers not only drive you depression deeper, they are far worse than ever before

********worse hangovers are because your liver can't deal with the meds + booze********

4. While some nights you can get away with 1 or 2.... other nights its like 6+

We are the ones that our friends and family may not even know our problems with alcohol

****and we never tell them******

So come one, come all....

I'm at 5 weeks tonight.... this was a hard post to create because I'm putting myself on the line, making myself accountable ....

take a stand

make a commitment

right now

and post often - when it is easy and you feel proud of avoiding drinks AND when it is hard to not drink but you figure a way to not drink - share your strategies!!

Be proud of each day you don't drink and be sure to post about it!! :)

VE Here, Adding spam to the post

The crazystore section on addition is here. It's deliberately 12-step agnostic.

Edited by Em21

This is a really good thread. :rolleyes:

I want to join at just over 4 years sober.

I used to binge drink loads, but thankfully never became addicted. Though I am still glad I gave it up. I would drink because I believed alcohol would bring back my superpowers (at the time I had just crashed out of some form of psychotic episode). But I used to believe under the influence that I was somebody I wasn't, somebody important. Then, when the alcohol started to come out of my body, I would crash into horrendous suicidal depression. I had to give it up for the sake of my sanity.

It was a very close friend who helped me at the beginning. I say I wasn't addicted because I had no physical withdrawal symptoms, but I continued to crave the alcohol for months after giving up (and still do when I'm mid-episode). With these cravings, I would think of this friend and choose not to drink. It wasn't easy, but it did get easier with time. I was using the alcohol to self medicate, first the psychosis and later the depression (that resulted from the episode I mentioned above in the previous paragraph).

Originally, I chose to remain sober only whilst I was still depressed. But when I came out of my depression (I've only ever had one episode of depression, but it did last 2 years), I thought it would be better for me if I remained sober. I had another psychotic episode that summer (2009), and really craved the alcohol. But thankfully I remembered why I gave up in the first place. And I continue to be sober to this day, and hopefully forever more. I do not want to go back to how the drink made me.

For me, time was (and still is, I guess) the most important healer. Now I do not need to think of my friend to avoid alcohol. My self esteem has slowly increased since coming out of my depression. I can be confident that I am remaining sober for the good of my own health.

Good luck to all members here in their continuing sobriety. :rolleyes: