CrazyBoards.org

Enlightened

Thanks for sharing ... It really helps me remember that if I picked up the first drink, it would

Open the door to major depression again. I was the same way u describe about how my depression

Would skyrocket with the hangover. Well and for me by the end of a drunken night ...

I'm at 18 months and very grateful to have lost the obsession to drink. Im in AA , t helps me

Remember who I am :)

Count me in as well. The OP describes me perfectly. . . and I can tell myself i'm not drinking *today*. . .and then try to repeat!

Count me in as well. The OP describes me perfectly. . . and I can tell myself i'm not drinking *today*. . .and then try to repeat!

One day at a time is a good way to go. :)

This whole site has been my lifesaver. This topic especially speaks directly to me...

Last week Saturday I woke up at 6am puking after a night of drinking (7-8 beers) and continued to puke until I was

vomiting the bile in my stomach. This is the second time in almost a month this has happened. My 9 year old daughter

saw me slumped over the toilet as she has many times before and I had to lie to her and say I had the stomach flu. I felt like

a piece of shit, as usual. Somthing different about this time made me want to stop.so I found this topic.

Thank you from a new member...xoxox

Happiest of Holidays to ALL!

Thanks for this thread.

I have been sober for exactly 24 hours. I wanted to stop at the store SOOOOO badly tonight, and somehow didn't. This is huge. I can usually make it 3 days when I am with family or on a trip, but I have NEVER made it for a day when I've been alone. I am anxious, so am cleaning like a crazy person. Took a bath, and am now reading the AA "Big Book," that a friend gave me when I asked her for help.

Nobody knew how much I drank....I will not drink tomorrow. Happy New Year!

I must admit that I am struggling right now. I have been for a few days. I know it is because I am going through a lot of personal shit, but that doesn't make it any easier.

I am trying desperately to focus on making it to the end of March, because that is when I would have been sober for 5 years. That is helping a little bit. Hopefully it isn't too big of a goal, and hopefully I will get there.

Thank goodness I have therapy on Tuesday!

My 1 year sober anniversary is coming up in a week or so. I had a really hard time finally quitting the booze, including 2 suicide attempts while drunk. I ended up in the ER both times and almost lost my long-term partner, who had stuck by me through 2 years of drinking and wild drunken behaviour.

Now when I think of drinking, I remind myself of terrible things I did when drunk, and of how much better I feel physically and mentally, now that I'm sober.

I also remember how proud I am of myself, that I've managed to stay sober for this long. I do this at least once every day.

Great post!! :) This it what my therapist has told me to stay away from alcohol. Because my medication is trying to help with my depression, and social anxiety. A know a will find it really hard to do it because alcohol gives me that FAKE confidence. But just reading this post and how you have been of the drink for so long (well done), has gave me the motivation and confidence to do it. Thanks :)

I love this post! I quit drinking March 13th of 2011 when I was 21. Believe me, that was one of the hardest things, but I did it.I had to quit because of my very own cocktail of meds as well. The interesting part of this is that when my medication is right, I don't even want to drink because all of ^^ makes sense.

When I'm switching meds usually I'm more aware of how much I could use a drink. And right now I feel like this... :wall: lol. Because I started a new medication (Geodon) and I'm weening off of Trileptal and I'm on the third day and just don't feel well.

But the only trick I have is to somehow make yourself hate alcohol and how much it hurt you and made you lose your focus or whatever it is you hate about it and if that doesn't work...

I also had to trick myself into completely believing that if I drink anything I could die because I'm on so many medications is really my go to quitting technique lol. I don't know if that will help but even though I am having a tough time with my medications, I have stayed away from alcohol.

I've tried soooo many times to stop drinking.....Sometimes I can go a week without it and I'm so proud of myself, and then I have a hell day at work on a Friday and run right to the distributor after work. Then it's a 2 week binge, and then off again. I can never stop at 1 drink, it's more like 4-6 after the kids go to bed. I'm also now taking Klonopin on top of it all which I know isn't good, but my anxiety is sooo bad. I've lost my Mom, Dad, brother, and a very special Aunt in the past year, and I just can't deal with any of it. I'm so empty, and in pain. I go through the motions of life everday for my family, but I'm definately not myself. On the outside nobody would know there was anything wrong. I'm very good at hiding everything. I can't imagine being able to stop drinking.....does anyone have any suggestions? I just started counseling. We'll see how that goes.

It's been 8 years since I had a drink. Therapy + AA have been a huge help to me. I have seen a therapist who is certified as an addictions counselor. I go to meetings, and take it one day at a time. And if I have a craving to drink, I talk about it with someone who I know is going to support my decision not to drink.

I am joining this club. I was looking at my blog and almost every post went something like "I drank at this inapprpriate time" (lunch or before thereapy) or "I have been trying to quit but can't."

I recently binged on five beers after stopping drinking for a couple of weeks. In the past I could drink that much and not blink an eye, but my tolerance was gone and I felt so shitty the next day I feared that I would become psychotic. I was briefly having delusional thoughts.

I am thankful for having this binge because it makes me realize what the REAL toll is on my body, when my tolerance isn't up like crazy from drinking. Also it makes me realize that drinking can trigger depression or possibly psychosis.

I have so far been about a week without drinking. I think it will be really hard for me to give up drinking while out at a restauant or while meeting friends at a bar. I haven't been out in a while. I hope I can resist the next time I'm out.

Really want to quit drinking.. Hopefully this will give me some motivation. I never feel like crap from drinking the next day, but I hardly ever get a hangover. I think I've only had three or four in my life. But still it probably doesn't help w/ all the meds that I take. I really don't think about that.. I should.

Thanks for starting this, perfect timing. I'm newly on Depakote and already wreaked havoc binge drinking just last night. Today was a nightmare. I've never felt the way I felt today before. I had a full-blown panic attack, felt like I was having an out of body experience and not in a good way. I felt like I was going to explode.

Maybe this is actually a catalyst for change... I won't give up my meds but I'm not going to go through that again either, so I'll take it one day at a time.

I'm not a fan of labeling myself "an alcoholic" because the problem (for me) is much bigger than that and I don't think that's an accurate word anyway. I'm a self-medicator and now it's f*ing me up, what's the word for that.

I could get addicted to a ball point pen.

I don't really have the money to buy a bottle unless I take the money out of other expenses. I'm trying to justify this away with excuses that I *need* to self medicate and maybe I can handle it this time. (yeah, I keep believing that.)

I'd like to officially join the no drinks club. I started drinking again, and not even sober a full 24 hrs yet. But today is a new day. I want to give 100% to my dbt program. I don't know if I can do that with alcohol.

Even though the urges are there, I really don't want to drink today. I purposely came back to this thread to reread the posts to gather strenght and support.

Edited by Teacup

Member of the No Drinks [or Drugs] Club since November 28. Will be celebrating one week on Wednesday. I think this is the longest I have been sober in years.