CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
badhairday

Constant singing in my head

I have this absolutely, especially the thing about it just being one part of the song repeating over and over again. That one specific thing about it I can find sort of annoying, but other than that it doesn't really bug me at all. Most of my friends recognize me for the fact that I'm always bobbing my head or dancing no matter what because I don't need to be listening to music to have some playing in my head. Though it doesn't hit me at every waking moment of my life, because I'm usually obsessing over something else that requires a lot of frantic thinking. But when that isn't happening it comes up quite often. It's definitely been going on since before I used ecstasy and hallucinogens too, but I could see how it might have gotten a little more severe afterward. When I would take psychedelics it would go from my hearing the song clips in my head to actually hearing them out loud.

This solution may not work for anyone else but here goes.

Lets say I get "Tea for two" stuck in my head (Horrors)   I have an obscure song I think about (And only for this purpose) and go through a bit of it to erase the song thats annoying.  When I try to go to sleep its impossible with some dumb song going through my head.   The emergency break up the stupid noise song seems to work everytime.   *And before anyone asks, NO the emergency song is never stuck in my head.

well i was taking hydrocodone for pain but it was a  small dose and then i quit and then a few days later is when the songs started it seems like its a tick in my brain making the tunes lol

*And before anyone asks, NO the emergency song is never stuck in my head.

Whatever song I switch to just ends up being stuck, too. The best I can do is make the replacement something pleasant that doesn't drive me up the wall. Although if I am very anxious, the new song ends up doing the same thing - getting stuck at a specific point and then playing repeatedly. I tend to just let it play and try to think of something else while it plays. It clears when the anxiety clears.

It is very interesting that others have this happen too. Makes me feel less odd! :)

Hey Luna yea i know what you mean i just feel crappy because of this and mentally out of it most of the time and cant think straight like im mentally imagining it and my brain iis just drifting off im scared a lil about this i have not been to the pdoc yet and im not sure what could be causing it.

I have a little self composed ditty, about 8 notes that loop. A mindless, continuous loop. I can't seem to get a doc. to give a shit, or to give a shit about my scalp picking. Of which I have developed dozens of scabs. I have decided both activities are methods to calm myself.  I am a constant worrier, filled to the brim with anxiety about everything, despite meds.....

Now I did my fair share of recreational drugs and hallucinogens

back in the hippie days.  I have thought maybe I fucked up the balance of neurochemicals in my brain.  ALthough I was self medicating since I was born- Milk of Magnesia, aspirin, paragoric, always had something wrong.  THen I was old enough to buy drugs!  yipee.

So maybe we can't fix this looping music, but maybe try to enjoy it.  Music is a good and relaxing thing.

It got so bad I googled it and found you people having my problem.  I never did drugs.  I was on celexa many years ago.  I wonder if it started before or after that.  I feel that it has contributed to my absent mindedness.  I make stupid mistakes.  And realize my mind has drifted.  But the song is still playing.

I hope at some point we will figure out what is going on and hoto stop it.  I even screwed up my name.  It was supposed to be absent Steve.  

I love Adele but her "Hello" song gets in my head, repeats and repeats until I have to play any other song to get it out of my head. Even a commercial with a jingle and I hate ads. I'm afraid I will hate her song and right now it is EVERYWHERE! 

I thought I was crazy, I'm so glad there are others that share this same issue. However, I don't think I would be considered OCD. I have people tell me that it just means I'm happy. Ya know, the song in your heart kinda thing 

I  don't think there's anything wrong with you. In fact I think we all do it & even talk to ourselves in our heads. It's our way of coping with boredom & stress. I think it's totally normal, if it isn't, then add me to the insanity list, i'm guilty of doing it too. It's more often when a song you recognise is heard, even if you hate it, it still happens. If you don't want it going around in your head, physically listen to it, several times, & then it goes away, or listen to something different. 

As Wooster said in the middle of this thread, this is common. Lots of people hear music.It is so common as to not be considered a disease or disorder. I have constant ringing in the ears and it seems weekly that a new song is chosen and I will hear snippets of this song when my brain is not overly occupied. Some consider this kind of stuff as being a sub-sign for a seizure disorder of some kind. I always chalked my music as being related to the epilepsy I have.

Now, if it is interfering with daily activities or you just can't stand it anymore certainly see your doctor.

On 5/31/2013 at 0:51 PM, gringatica said:

scalp picking. Of which I have developed dozens of scabs.

This very well could be a condition called dermatillomania or excoriation disorder. First line treatment for this is SSRIs.

As for the music in your head, I do the same thing all the time. Sometimes it's an actual song, sometimes it's a loop of just a few notes... It's not a problem unless it causes you distress in your everyday life. Maybe you should be a composer! :) 

Edited by mikl_pls

Such an old thread...but so relevant and interesting. My mom calls these "Earworms" Songs, melodies, jingles that get stuck in your head relentlessly. When she feels down, she actually tries to get a song stuck in her head to distract herself from analytical/obsessive thinking, avert negative emotions. I think advertisers have studied this in order to create catchy ads that really stick into your subconscious.

For some odd reason (I hate most current mainstream/pop music) All today, I have Sia's "Cheap Thrills" going in my head....But I'll tell you, it is better than the tormenting negative ruminations I have everyday.

Come on, come on, turn the radio on
It's Friday night and I won't be long...
Gotta do my hair, I put my make up on
It's Friday night and I won't be long....
Hit the dance floor, Hit the dance floor
I got all I need...
No I ain't got cash, I ain't got cash
But I got you baby....

No idea where this came from today... Often I hear a song in the store and then hours later, I'm humming it. Sometimes I just wake up with a random song in my head. Before today, it hadn't happened in ages! Now why can't I get a GOOD song stuck?

3 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Now why can't I get a GOOD song stuck?

HEY! That IS a good song! :P

The anitdote to avoiding the song loops in your head is to only listen to good music; only the songs you hate invade. Unfortunately, this isn't usually practical. She might be a talented lady, but when I've been exposed to Lady Gaga, I apparently have brain matter that is magnetically attracted to certain parts of her song/s. Unconsciously and without regard to humanity I'll begin singing, and from there the sound byte dies an unreasonably slow death inside my skull (afterlife?). 

I annoy my wife with my repetion of a particular verse in a song (often in an annoying voice) and even when she tells me to shut up, I find myself once again singing the song for just a second before I realize I have started singing again, at which time I (usually) render mercy on my wife and stop. 

Some of these types of traits have reminded me of the autistic spectrum; though it appears I'm just "unique". Of course, for most people a song in the head is normal. OCD, other psychiatric disorders just put a slightly different "spin" on this phenomenon potentially.

Perhaps related, I will come across a word - not necessarily unfamiliar - that for whatever reason gets stuck in my head. I believe the word usually is spelled in such a way that is counterintuitive. I pick up on this in my head and pronounce the word incorrectly, but the way it would read phonetically in English. This is an obsession however that doesn't interfere with my life though - I have plenty that do, however =>)

Edited by aur462