CrazyBoards.org

Guest Christine

My son is 16 years old and has bipolar 1 and ADHD. We have tried several meds that did not work at all or caused extreme mania. He is currently on Lamictal 200mg two times a day and Trazodone 300mg at night. The pdoc just added Sephris 5mg once a day. Has anyone with Bipolar taken this medicine and if so what were your results?

I was until I started having some pretty severe muscle tension on the right side of my neck and mouth. Kinda like a moderate case of cervical dystonia.

Guest tammy

My doc prescribed Saphris for me a couple of months ago and it was the final med in my cocktail that seemed to finally bring me to a place of stability. I felt the difference within about 2-3 days. It was as if someone focused the lense on my camera and it seemed to bring my marginal stability we had found into a sharper focus. It has been a miracle for me.

I just wondered if anyone has tried this drug, and experienced any effects. There is such limited info available out there with it being so new. I am hopeful that this stability lasts and that we finally "got it" with my cocktail for the long term....

Guest tammy

I've been on Saphris for about 6 mo. I haven't really noticed any side effects. It has been a miracle drug for me as well. All of my symptons just vanished.

Guest Mia Star

i just have a question. I just started the new Saphris meds today...It did make my tongue go numb. Weird feeling.

What I want to know is do I Swallow the liquid after it has dissolved or do I spit it out? I was really confused.

This tablet I did spit it out, But I can tell the medicine is in my system. Does it work through the receptor nerves under your tounge? Help, Please.

TO OFFSET THE BAD TASTE of Saphris: get mouth dry, using a tissue under tongue to dry it and remove tissue, place med under tongue toward the back and don't move your mouth or tongue for 5 min. The drug will absorb, it sublimes or melts, it does not need to dissolve with saliva There are no taste buds under the tongue, and if you keep saliva from under there it will not reach the taste buds on the sides of the tongue. This takes a little practice but it works.

Thanks so much for this great tip! It is a nasty taste although I deal with it okay. I'm looking forward to trying this at bedtime tonight.

The verdict isn't in for me yet with the Saphris. Today is day 3 at 5mg at bedtime going to 10mg tomorrow at bedtime.

Oreo

Guest Mia Star

My son is 16 years old and has bipolar 1 and ADHD. We have tried several meds that did not work at all or caused extreme mania. He is currently on Lamictal 200mg two times a day and Trazodone 300mg at night. The pdoc just added Sephris 5mg once a day. Has anyone with Bipolar taken this medicine and if so what were your results?

Hi, i couldn't possibly tell you what it does...I've been taking this saphris for 3 days...I just quit the seroquel cold turkey. I am now taking Saphris. So far, it has been good for me. I think it would be good for your son if his body responds to the drug good. I was taking the seroquel for 6 years and so far the saphris is helping with any withdrawls except for the insomnia ( side effect of getting of seroquel ). Give it a try your son will tell you if it helps him or not.

Guest Angela

I've been taking Saphris for probably about 6 months now. My husband said he could tell a difference almost immediately. I've been diagnosed as bipolar. The bad taste and numb tongue are no biggie and I've found that if you take a drink right before taking the med it dissolves much faster. My moods are definitely better than before I was on it, but I still think there's room for improvement. However, I'm finding myself skipping doses quite frequently because 1) it's much easier to get up in the morning w/o it and 2) it knocks me out immediately and I put it off until the very last minute and I end up falling asleep before I take it. I'm starting to have a really hard time getting up in the mornings. I end up going back to bed after I send my family off for about 30-45 minutes because I'm just sooo tired and am starting to be excessively late to work in the mornings. So, I have a lot on my plate for tomorrow and want to get up early, so I'm skipping it tonight. I take 10 mg and I've tried to break it in half and only take about 5 mg, but the same results. I've been trying to get up early in the mornings to get stuff done around the house, but I just can't, I feel like such a failure. I go back to the Dr. in a couple of weeks, obviously I'll be raising my concerns there, but I'd like some input from people w/ experience.

I'm liking the Saphris 10mg at bedtime. It's been a little over a week. Fingers crossed.

Oreo

Saphris is an amazing drug. It has basically changed my life, and makes other anti-psychotic drugs like Abilify seem like jokes. I was taking Abilify, Lamictal, and Effexor before starting Saphris, and now I am on just Effexor and Saphris. The hardest part was the time when I was going off of the Abilify and Lamictal. It was super tough. But I am so happy I switched. I highly, highly suggest people to try Saphris. And I also believe that over the next few years we are going to see doctors steering away from Lamictal, I can't even describe how good it feels to be off of it and not constantly feeling like I'm a sedated and foggy-headed moron.

I can't even describe how good it feels to be ... not constantly feeling like I'm a sedated and foggy-headed moron.

I have noticed how clear-headed I feel on the Saphris.

Guest Joann

Just took my first dose of Sapris.. Omg it's grose and my tinge is numb! I hope it helps me though.

Guest Laura

I take it - up to 20mgs with 400mg Lamictal, 100mg Topamax, and 100mg Zoloft and I do really well on it. For those who get too sedated (I do too) I just take the entire dose at night - I either stack the entire 20mgs and put it under my tongue or put them side by side under my tongue (but you have to do this fast) The half life of the drug is about 24 hours anyways, so my pdoc said it was totally fine to do it the way I do it. It knocks me out for about 4 hours and it knocks me out hard. Seroquel didn't knock me out that hard (and I would go up to 800-1200mg and still stay awake for a long time), though when I was actually asleep and on Seroquel I was pretty much out - though it didn't actually put me to sleep? Funny story on that one.. But yea - love it. Best antipsychotic I have been on and works very fast. It does help with depression too and according to my pdoc it works on so many brain receptors it is kind of like a mood stabilizer (though yes it is technically an AP) Kind of like Abilify, Seroquel, and Geodon.. I think it works on more receptors than the ones I mentioned - check out it's wiki link and then compare with whatever you are on, and even more than Clozaril? - I was like wow.

The new black cherry flavor is sooooo much better!!! ;)

Oreo

Guest kim

I have had severe bipolar depression that has not responded to any antidepressants. My doctor put me on saphris and it literally saved my life. For the first time in 10 years I feel good. I feel like I had a piece missing and that the saphris magically replaced it. It is truly amazing. I am quite sure that saphris will come to be used for bipolar depression. Please note....I have never had psychosis---only severe debilitating depression unresponsive to every ssri on the market. Hope others find it as useful as I have. it has truly given me my life back. I noticed the effects within 3 days of starting it.

Guest Patricia

My doc prescribed Saphris for me a couple of months ago and it was the final med in my cocktail that seemed to finally bring me to a place of stability. I felt the difference within about 2-3 days. It was as if someone focused the lense on my camera and it seemed to bring my marginal stability we had found into a sharper focus. It has been a miracle for me.

I just wondered if anyone has tried this drug, and experienced any effects. There is such limited info available out there with it being so new. I am hopeful that this stability lasts and that we finally "got it" with my cocktail for the long term....

Guest patricia

Guest New guy

My new Dr. my old one quit, decided she want's me to take this crap tomorrow to take the place of seroquel which was for agitation & insomnia. Seroquel makes me want to kill myself and I don't get a restful sleep with it. I'm worried about the fact that saphris puts you at an increased risk of pancreas problems, diabetes, weight gain, death (this crap's stopped people's heart according to the FDA). I used to take the invega susttena shots and I went from 157 lbs to 189. It's like my Dr. wish I was dead every drug i complain about the side effects I'm going through they give me some new drug and send me on my way. I can't barely function on the crap I'm on now I don't feel like myself. I wish I could go back 13 years and never discover this "disorder" I have life would be alot better without all the meds I can't remember parts of my life from shit they've put me on.

(the following was copied from drugs.com)

"MONITOR: Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patients taking multiple drugs that cause these effects, especially in elderly or debilitated patients.

MANAGEMENT: During concomitant use of these drugs, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities."

Guest sammy jones

the only side effect i really see is that my boobs have increased 1 cup size, i am hoping this goes away too, but to no avail. .

huh?