CrazyBoards.org

(this crap's stopped people's heart according to the FDA)

I don't see any reference to cardiac arrest or any other cardiac death in the FDA's review, or at least none associated with the drug. The closest thing was a pulmonary embolism. The FDA concluded that the cardiac risks associated with Saphris are on par with those associated with Zyprexa.

The bit you copied from drugs.com is a warning applied to all antipsychotics.

I took it for about 3 weeks for depression which it did nothing for, so we ditched it. it actually was very effective for anxiety/mixed shit, and I LOVED the no side effects and no hungry part. I had NO side effects.

I'm picking some up this morning because I am on so much daytime quel at this point I'm dangerous on the road. We're tapering over from quel to saphris and doing something else for sleep as/if needed.

I'm actually really excited, as the possible lowering of my cholestorol is also a thrill.

Anna

Guest wendynoel

Hi, my son was just recently stricken with mental illness at age 21. The doctors have diagnosed him with psychoses not otherwise specified. I feel he is has schizophrenia from the research I have done. He currently is on 3 mg of Risperadol and 2 mg Cogentin in the evenings. His therapist recommended Saphris. From what I am reading there are not a lot of reviews for schizophrenia clients, but an abundance of Bi polar and schizpaffective and how it has affected peoples mood swings etc. He is pretty monotone and is not moody in any way. He is always in good spirits. I feel he is still delusional to a degree and I have seen for the most part the inner stimulation, audio and visual hallucinations subside. Should I expect more for the delusions? will Saphris work if he doesnt have mood swings? Or is it more a mood stabilizer? We have an appointment in 2 days with his new psychiatrist and I want to be ready with questions and knowledge to help him the best I can. Thank you

Yeah, sorry. Do a search for sites for parents there are tons. FWIW the stuff is approved for both conditions. Anna

Guest wendynoel

Hi, my son was just recently stricken with mental illness at age 21. The doctors have diagnosed him with psychoses not otherwise specified. I feel he is has schizophrenia from the research I have done. He currently is on 3 mg of Risperadol and 2 mg Cogentin in the evenings. His therapist recommended Saphris. From what I am reading there are not a lot of reviews for schizophrenia clients, but an abundance of Bi polar and schizpaffective and how it has affected peoples mood swings etc. He is pretty monotone and is not moody in any way. He is always in good spirits. I feel he is still delusional to a degree and I have seen for the most part the inner stimulation, audio and visual hallucinations subside. Should I expect more for the delusions? will Saphris work if he doesnt have mood swings? Or is it more a mood stabilizer? We have an appointment in 2 days with his new psychiatrist and I want to be ready with questions and knowledge to help him the best I can. Thank you

Guest wendynoel

This is a first person site.

For crazies by crazies.

Guest ataylor1432

i just started taking saphris since last thursday and so far have seen posotive results. i take 5 mg twice a day, the side effects though are rough the restlessness and the sleepiness im having a hard time with when under these symptoms i cant seem to do anything. i just want to know is something i can take or do to get rid of the side effects? and will my body eventually get used to and i not feel it any more?

Sedation may wear off in time. Restlessness may be a movement disorder of some type, which can be treated with certain other meds. Ask your pdoc about it.

Anna

Guest Paula

I quit Seroquel cold turkey to switch to Saphris but was vomiting so much by day 4 that I went back on the Seroquel. Instant "cure". The prescription advice is to minimize the overlap between the two. Any advice on tapering the Seroquel while starting Saphris? Seeing my pdoc later this week but he often tells me to experiment!

Guest ataylor1432

what about seroquel is it effective and are the side effects hard to get over?

Guest Holly

My 16 yr.old daughter has schizophrenia. She has been on almost all of the antipsychotic meds, nothing so far has helped her. She was diagnosed at age 7. She is on geodon for the hundredth time. I would like to try Saphris. What is the bad taste and burning in mouth people are mentioning? Does it make you gain weight? Does it cause insomnia? Please help. Thanks , Shell.

I too Saphris samples from the doctor and they were flavored and more tolerable than the tablets that I received when I filled my prescription which are unflavored. The unflavored are pretty disgusting to taste!!!! Both the flavored & unflavored gave me a numbing sensation on my tongue, all day nasty taste & food/ drink tasted totally different! It did help with my poor appetite which makes me think weight gain could be an issue as well. I quit taking the med after a month due to the terrible taste side effects which is really too bad because the med worked better than ANYTHING I have ever tried and it works very fast (2 days)! I hope this helps out!

I just started Saphris yesterday. First time I took it, it tasted like I had gargled with nail polish remover, but it is getting better- the trick with drying out under your tongue works well. I have to nap after I take it, and my tongue gets numb, but I'm not having any huge immediate side-effects...and the tongue tingling and numbing goes away after I eat or drink something (I wait at least 10-15 minutes to do so).

Does anyone know how long it takes to build up and be effective?

Edited by loosewiring

I find taste washes away quicky with h20 and/or coffee, thank goodness. don't be dissuaded from trying this med but do be aware that for 20 minutes a day your mouth will taste like total ass. no matter what flavor, black cherry or not. It's just bitter....

anna

having been on saphris going on a month now it is a life saver as we get rid of the seroquel due to high cholesterol and daytime sedation. (Was needing it during day to ward of me and almost killed motorcycle cop not so hot, ok, maybe exaggeration, but i cut him off....)

even my mom says i'm different.... Anna

Guest Paula

I find taste washes away quicky with h20 and/or coffee, thank goodness. don't be dissuaded from trying this med but do be aware that for 20 minutes a day your mouth will taste like total ass. no matter what flavor, black cherry or not. It's just bitter....

anna

Guest Paula

I found that gargling with strong mouthwash before taking the Saphris helps to deaden my tongue and makes the taste easier to handle. My tongue tingles so much from the mouthwash that I hardly notice the tingle from the Saphris. Still notice the numbing. (Thanks for the advice on x tapering - my pdoc also suggested a month.)

Guest Paula

what about seroquel is it effective and are the side effects hard to get over?

It was absolutely great for me - zero bipolar symptoms; eliminated migraines and allergies; perfect sleep - and the side effects all settled within a month. Massive downside - gained about 30% of my original body weight (I have always been slim and loved exercise) and became pre-diabetic.

Wondered if your son ever tried the Saphris? My son is 31, diagnosed with schizophrenia at 15, and is recent years diagnosis was changed to schizoaffective.. not sure what the difference is. He has tried every antipsychotic on the market, but his paranioa and voices never went completely away. The past year he grew so tired of dealing with it all that he became suicidal. About 2 weeks ago, he admitted himself to the local psych hospital because he felt he would act on his suicidal urges. They started him on Syphris and it has been a stunning, miraculous, answer to our prayers change! For the first time since he was a kid John has NO paranioa, voices or any symptoms of schizophrenia. Nothing has ever come close to this new drug.

So far, the only side effect is that he is so happy it's hard for him to fall asleep. I read that it makes some people sleepy, but John is full of energy. He takes 10mg a.m. & 10mg p.m.

On a scale of 1 to 10, the effectiveness of Saphris for my son has been about a 20! Praying that he has none of the side effects that a few others reported.

I wish you & your son the best. I have been on the wild schizophrenia ride with my son, John, for almost 17 yrs now. I will never, ever, never give up on him or stop trying to help him in every way I can. Don't ever lose hope!

Edited by Johnsmom