CrazyBoards.org

i was on it and LOVED it. i felt better and was thinking clearer than i had in a long time. i felt calm. awesome.

i ended up having side effects though so i had to go off it. still on the market for something else. :rolleyes:

I had to give up on my saphris.... I find it subtly activating, like abilify. But more subtle, so it took me awhile to notice the connection. It didn't stabilize me well, but then again, I don't do well on activating AAPS.

That said, I hear just as much positive as negatives from people so far..... It seems to be really helpful for some folks.

Glad it's going well.

Anna

be aware that for 20 minutes a day your mouth will taste like total ass.

anna

20 minutes? 24 hours for me. numbness and I can't taste anything but spicy food.

I started taking Saphris a couple of weeks ago. I am now more stable and clear headed than I can ever remember being. I have no more mood swings and my thinking is steady. The noise level in my head has gone down considerably. My girlfriend started taking it as well. She got better very quickly. I take 5 mg for now but I might have the dose increased to 10mg so I can stop taking Risperdal for agitation.

Saphris does irritate my tongue- but with all the benefits, I don't mind that much.

Saphris didn't work for me, made my agitation worse. I really wasn't to suprised as many meds have a reverse affect on me. Lamictal seems to be working the way it should, except I get an energy boost so I take it in the AM and it gets me through the day. I know it works for a lot of people so I'm thinking it's a good med., just not for me.

It tastes horrid but so far I like the way it's working. I put it in between my cheek and gums/teeth, seemed to work best without much of it getting on my tongue.

Been on it for 6 months, seems good. Also I have been under the impression you are not supposed to eat any food or drink for 10 minutes before taking it, and ten after takign it. Just the way it was explained to me by dr. I have been on alot of things, and absolutely nothign has worked more then 4-6 months before, lithium, lamictal, zoloft, depakote, abilify, seroquel and more i just cant think of off the top of my head. Saphris has been o.k so far, but not completly bump free. Had some issues recently, but cant rlly say its from the wrong medication per say. Overall, I think Saphris has kept me more balanced then any combination I had been on before this. I take 10mg at night before bed. Interested to hear more feedback on this also.

Edited by garrett101

I think this is day 4 of Saphris. It is working great so far. It gives me an appetite, or at least makes food more appealing, but with a little restraint I should be able to control it fine. I hope to lose weight on it starting Monday. My mind is in a better place than it has been for a few years, although still not great or anything, but I can definitely tell an improvement. I do feel a little drowsy and hope it will wear off or at least decrease over time.

be aware that for 20 minutes a day your mouth will taste like total ass.

anna

20 minutes? 24 hours for me. numbness and I can't taste anything but spicy food.

I don't have this problem. Try puting it in between your gums and cheek, not under your tongue.

I was just prescribed saphris yesterday. I previously heard from other people that it tasted like absolute crap so my nurse practitioner was nice enough to order me the black cherry flavor and hope it would help with the taste. As long as it doesnt' taste as bad as my xanax does i'll be fine. I'm hoping this will work because if it doesn't then I'm going on Clozaril and then I would have tried literally every single antipsychotic there is.

Has anyone else tried it for sleep? Remeron isn't working and saphris and risperdal and REALLY old school antipsychotics are the only things i have not tried

I slept really well on saphris. Although it made me get up and sleep eat. But YMMV of course.

I wish you & your son the best. I have been on the wild schizophrenia ride with my son, John, for almost 17 yrs now. I will never, ever, never give up on him or stop trying to help him in every way I can. Don't ever lose hope!

That is really nice to read, you must be a great mom. I know not all of us have the same undying support. A lot of people gave up on me, and never speak to me again.

Edited by somementill

Wow very hopeful and nice post !

I am very happy that your son is going good.

I am also SZ for many years now but thank God i am good with Risperdal and no paranoia etc.

Who knows maybe in the future there is a permanent cure for us ,too.

Never give up ! Thank God that science and medicine is so advanced in our times. In the past we would be dead by now , but now there is hope.

Wondered if your son ever tried the Saphris? My son is 31, diagnosed with schizophrenia at 15, and is recent years diagnosis was changed to schizoaffective.. not sure what the difference is. He has tried every antipsychotic on the market, but his paranioa and voices never went completely away. The past year he grew so tired of dealing with it all that he became suicidal. About 2 weeks ago, he admitted himself to the local psych hospital because he felt he would act on his suicidal urges. They started him on Syphris and it has been a stunning, miraculous, answer to our prayers change! For the first time since he was a kid John has NO paranioa, voices or any symptoms of schizophrenia. Nothing has ever come close to this new drug.

So far, the only side effect is that he is so happy it's hard for him to fall asleep. I read that it makes some people sleepy, but John is full of energy. He takes 10mg a.m. & 10mg p.m.

On a scale of 1 to 10, the effectiveness of Saphris for my son has been about a 20! Praying that he has none of the side effects that a few others reported.

I wish you & your son the best. I have been on the wild schizophrenia ride with my son, John, for almost 17 yrs now. I will never, ever, never give up on him or stop trying to help him in every way I can. Don't ever lose hope!

I have been on Saphris for about a month now. Not only is it the only anti psychotic I've ever been able to tolerate without tardive dyskinesia,but it works very well for both my mania and depression. Up till now I have tried many meds in many combinations and nothing has worked well. I Also take topomax twice a day with the 10mg of saphris and I am virtually symptom free for the first time in a long time. I do have the numbness in my mouth, but have no other side effects. A small inconvenience in my book after years of trying different crap that either didn't work or I couldn't tolerate. And the drowsiness does wear off shortly after starting treatment. Hopefully this helps.

BEST MEDICATION EVER!!!

My problems started winter on 08/09 when I went on an anti-depressant and kicked into hypo-mania and a hospital stay that resulted in the dissolution of my marriage and the effective loss of my young kids for an extended period. For two and a half years I've been on most of the newer atypical anit-psychs, including Geodone that I attribute to my real mania/psychotic episode a year ago.

Ended up with Seroquel for the third time last winter ('10) which I just couldn't live with forever. Tapered myself off over this spring/summer and had a depression hit after loosing my job (thus ending the complete loss of the life I had built up). My pdoc suggested going back on some Seroquel, or an older anti-psych that I can't recall. I said, um, I can try, but I'd rather not. Then, she thought of Saphris which I started 9/8/11, a day that will live in infamy (for me).

I'm like I was in the 90's and early 2000's - like myself again. Getting a refreshing night's sleep (a little longer than I'd like right now, but part of that is my schedule) and not over thinking about my divorce, kids 100 miles away, and financial ruin. I'm able to keep positive about finding a job, and living off unemployment until that time while doing projects around the house that have been on hold for years now.

The insignificant side affects - bad taste when I go to sleep, and some over-eating early on. Totally worth the benefit, as they don't seem like anything now.

If you have this as an option for a medical need, give it a try. I tell anyone who will listen (of my psych friends) about the magic pill Saphris that has made my life worth living again. Though I loath big pharma, I would do a testimonial on Saphris!