CrazyBoards.org

Am I being overly sensitive?

I had to go get a spinal shot to treat my sciatica and unfortunately I had had a night of cutting 4 days beforehand. Plus I have a healing burn scar on that arm. When I went to the clinic I noticed the first doctor's eyes glancing over it ( I was in a gown) but the second doctor flat out said "I notice you have some scarring, what is this from?" and I told him it wasn't related to this sciatica thing so let's leave it at that. But I felt judged and I don't know if this is just standard and I was being too sensitive? Anyone else have some perspective?

I don't necessarily think you're being "too sensitive", but I personally say "hooray" for a doctor who looks at you and SEEs you and asks about your well being!

Many people don't ask about their own MI issues - out of embarrassment or whatever. And thus also never get treatment.

I think Dr's in general should be MUCH more comprehensive in what they ask patients about. Especially a GP who will be providing ongoing care.

Anyway, hopefully you can always tell him politely that you're uncomfortable talking about it - OR, more hopefully, that you are already seeing a psychiatrist or therapist for the problem.

Try not to reject someone's help and caring even if it is hard sometimes to accept. (That may not be YOU, but it IS me! So maybe I'm "projecting"!)

Anyway, take care of yourself.

I have had a similar thing happen. If they are smart enough to realize what it likely is, then they ask because they want to make sure you aren't a danger to yourself and not a suicide risk. It's actually a good thing, though it definitely doesn't feel like it when you don't want to talk about it. I just tell them my flavour of MI and that am seeing a pdoc.

I know that doctors have seen the scars on my wrists. They're pretty damn obvious. But they've all kept silent about them. Except when I went to a med-stop (urgent care) the other day and saw a P.A. for a back sprain. I was waiting in the room for about twenty minutes which is just enough time to reflect on how crappy your life is. I knew that if I went home I was going to cut. And for some odd reason I desperately didn't want to. I broke down in tears and the woman was absolutely wonderful to me. She gave me a hug, sat me down and then we talked for a good ten minutes until I felt like it would be safe to go home. I have never had that experience before outside my therapist's office.

Doctors ask me about that a lot, it's just what they do. I'm usually alright with it even though it's awkward, but I don't think you were being overly sensitive. Some people just don't like to be questioned about their scars but doctors are the ones who should ask those questions, I guess.

Archived