CrazyBoards.org

Taking an AC and having an EEG?

Okay to start off I just want to say I'm not that good with anticonvulsants I prefer the realm of antipsychotics.

Right so I've been receiving psychiatrist treatment since February last year, the first doctor referred me to a neurologist for a brain scan and an EEG. The neurologist asked me a series of questions and quite reasonably came to the conclusion that I more than likely don't have epilepsy and I don't have any brain abnormalities.

So my current psychiatrist is a control freak and even though I've told her time and time again that the neurologist didn't think I needed any scan it's not good enough for her. She needs her "routine tests". Now, fair enough routine tests, but she doesn't do this because it's routine she does it to cover her back. I tell her I preferred how the last doctor did things and what he did and so on. And she always remarks " That man obviously doesn't care how he practises" Or "I'm not responsible for any doctor's conduct." Anyone moral of the story is this bitch likes to cover herself by any means possible, no risks involved.

Okay to the point she's decided yet again she wants me to finally have an EEG and a brain scan, however I saw another neurologist back in November and I was prescribed Sodium Valproate for my headaches/migraines. So, if they're looking for untreated epilepsy and I'm taking an anticonvulsant won't that hide the results of the scan? Or affect it in anyway? Granted I know hardly anything about epilepsy or ACs.

Thanks.

" So, if they're looking for untreated epilepsy and I'm taking an anticonvulsant won't that hide the results of the scan?"

Not nec. if you have Epilepsy regardless of Anticonvulsants, something could still show. I see this everyday, as I am part of an Epileptic Forum as well.

I have seen people on several AED and Anticonvulsants, but the EEG can still show activity.

Billy.

Sorry that you're getting the runaround.

<<I have seen people on several AED and Anticonvulsants, but the EEG can still show activity.>>

My first EEG after my "grand mal" seizure showed spikes in my right temporal lobe--and I was on two heavy-duty anti-convulsants at the time.

Be warned, though, not all EEGs show abnormal electrical activity in the brain. Mostly a good neurologist or better yet, an Epileptologist will do a thorough history with you.. a lot of times that is the deciding factor that leads to the diagnosis of Epilepsy.

Best wishes!

Archived