CrazyBoards.org

Alright, I'm naturally inclined to be more than a bit of a slob, but I'm trying to change that...slowly.

My depression tends to be aggravated by money problems, and so my anxiety and depression are running pretty high right now...

And I can't seem to keep ahead on the mess.

Drifts of dishes, painting needing to be done, floor needs to be swept/vacuumed.

At least I'm up on the laundry, but it's my turn for dishes.

And considering I'm not in class this week and only worked 28 hours, there's not good justification for letting things slide.

Anybody else have this problem?

*raises hand* I have taken all week to just get laundry and dishes done. I swept today but can't get the energy up to mop like I need to...

I am worse than you though- I am not even working right now. I am at home with my 5 year old and he goes to school 1-3:30. Getting him ready and off to school, plus making dinner just takes up the extent of my daily energy. Which is stupid because I have a screwy sleep schedule and I sleep 3:30-10:30 anyway. sigh.

I too am stressing about money right now, and the fact that I need to find a job and a daycare for my son. Then I feel guilty because 'normal' people can handle this, but for me it knocks me on my @ss and I am even worse with stuff.

Yes, I have this problem in a major way, and it's a clear reflection of my state of mind. I feel pretty good right now so the house is pretty clean, but I still haven't completely unpacked even though I've lived here nearly two years.

Someone else on this site turned me on to Flylady.net (you'll have to Google it, sorry, I can't get the link to work), which is a website started by a woman who was suffering from chaos, which she refers to as "can't have anybody over syndrome".

I didn't follow everything she recommends (the site is free, by the way), but there are two big things that I learned there that I use almost every day. First, break everything down into 15 minute segments, and work on things for just fifteen minutes at a time. That way you won't get overwhelmed by thinking of the monumental mess you have to deal with. The overwhelmed feeling is horrible, I know, and the fifteen minute limit makes things tolerable.

The other thing I learned there is what she calls "Swish and Swipe", which refers to a one minute tidy-up of your bathroom every day. The swish refers to quickly swishing the toilet brush around the toilet, and the swipe is wiping the counter and sink down. It does make a huge difference. Anyway, I've found many helpful tips there, and hope that it will be useful for you.

Cleanliness is next to sanity.....

Ahh, cleaning tips for the depressed...we need more of those. FlyLady rubs me the wrong way, I tried it for ages. But I have a really shiny sink...

I feel the same way. Is the house like this because of my MI, or because I am lazy? (Hubby says lazy, but he doesn't get MI.) Shit, I have no kids, barely work (and I work from home, freelancing) and the house is...ew. We did a crazy-clean this morning, as family was threatening to stop by, but I noticed how awful the baseboards looked, and just couldn't even handle the thought of wiping them all down. I hate that about myself/my MI.

Dad put me on a cleaning schedule and cooking schedule. I have to account for every hour of my day from M-F. It helps to keep the house clean. It helps me to know exactly what I need to cook. Otherwise I doubt I would do any of it.

I am trying really hard to prune. I am a natural slob, have been all of my life. My clutter drives my husband crazy, or I wouldn't even care.

Fly Lady makes me want to shake her, hard. But I do clean a small area at a time. Especially surfaces. Once I have cleared off all the surfaces, the next layer becomes evident. It is kind of like excavating.

Being hypo-manic before my surgery was actually useful. I know I shouldn't say that, but I really needed to get the house in order, because of my surgery, and the scooter I have to roll around on. If I hadn't cleared pathways, I would be falling all over the place. And my husband is SO happy. I am trying so hard to stay on top of things, that he actually seems messy to me right now. ;)

Fly Lady makes me want to shake her, hard. But I do clean a small area at a time. Especially surfaces. Once I have cleared off all the surfaces, the next layer becomes evident. It is kind of like excavating.

;)

Why is it that you can put into words what I can't? Yep, a good shake...

I am seriously considering attacking those baseboards. I have no idea why.

Sorry about the Flylady reference - I should have given the saccharin warning. I never did get complely into the whole thing, never signed up for all the messages, calendars, etc.

She probably does sing "Kum Bah Ya" at home, but on the other hand her insistence on getting rid of clutter annd not becoming overwhelmed has been helpful to me.

Oh yeah, I definitely have this problem, and here I sit on CB instead of doing what I *know* I should be doing right now. It seems like lately I have been so overwhelmed by everything - finances, inability to paint, stress of children - that I become paralyzed. Add to this an admittedly sloppy family (my husband fully owns up to the fact he's a slob) and it just gets worse. I've been trying to prune, which isn't easy, but it feels good to be able to get out a trash bag and start going through junk. That, and freecycle, although that starts to get overwhelming as well, trying to keep up with email responses, and then putting stuff out at the right time, the stress of knowing someone is going to be on my front porch (it really is a stressor), ETC.

A shiny sink is the least of my worries, and I can't stand flylady. I tried it, I really did, I couldn't get past the aggrevation.

I hate the feelings of shame and guilt from having a wrecked house. I grew up in a house that was filled with trash, both inside and outside, so it's an old, never-completely-healed wound for me. The town used to send us nasty letters, clean up outside and then place liens on the property for doing the work, and all kinds of other stressful stuff. The health department stopped by few times, but since they were never invited in they never took any action, although if they'd seen the inside they could have condemned the place.

I don't know about you guys, but first I let the house go, then I let my personal hygiene go, and then I realize I'm depressed and should have called the pdoc sooner. Depression sucks.

I hate the feelings of shame and guilt from having a wrecked house. I grew up in a house that was filled with trash, both inside and outside, so it's an old, never-completely-healed wound for me. The town used to send us nasty letters, clean up outside and then place liens on the property for doing the work, and all kinds of other stressful stuff. The health department stopped by few times, but since they were never invited in they never took any action, although if they'd seen the inside they could have condemned the place.

I don't know about you guys, but first I let the house go, then I let my personal hygiene go, and then I realize I'm depressed and should have called the pdoc sooner. Depression sucks.

I totally agree with you. Our house has never gotten to that point, so I am not sure how that feels, but yeah, I hate that my mom could come in with her cleaning attitude and ask me how the hell I let it get to this point. What's funny about me is that I can deal with clutter, but not gross stuff (like mold or stuff like that). But I get to the point where I don't even *see* the mess anymore.

BTW, I started translating the FlyLady stuff while I was on the phone with a client. So I will start a thread on it, and try to make it a little less saccharine. Maybe it will help some of us get into a routine, I know that having one really helps me.

BTW, I started translating the FlyLady stuff while I was on the phone with a client. So I will start a thread on it, and try to make it a little less saccharine. Maybe it will help some of us get into a routine, I know that having one really helps me.

The batshitlady?

I was that overwhelmed that the last time I moved I got rid of stuff I really should have kept. I get paralyzed too by depression. This time of year I don't even need the particular stressors that make me depressed (and money is a huge one for me also), just looking outside makes me depressed. I just do sooooooo much better in the Spring/Summer/early Fall.

What I do is clean inbetween commercials. I'm usually home alone and I admittedly watch way too much TV, but I feel less like a loser if I do some dishes, sweep up, etc., during the commercials (which drive me crazy anyway.)

Is it a bad thing that we still have the xmas tree up?

doh.

Didn't notice it until today.

(granted it's just a little tabletop tree)

I probably wouldn't have noticed it till March except the damned cats knocked it over.

Archived