CrazyBoards.org

Two questions

Hey

1.) I know this may be a dumb question, but during lunch yesterday at work, we were all sitting around and chatting. The eating disorder dietician was eating chips and she went on to say that bulimics binge on salty/savory crisp food. As it sends endorphinns to the brain? Which made me stop and think? What did i binge on, i don't really remember it being salty food? Although i was bulimic, i didn't really binge alot. Just when ever i ate anything.

What do you binge on?

2.) Personally of all the dieticians i don't know if she has ever had an eating disorder, ok one or two others (which is rare, he he) She scares me. She is strict. Saw her with an anerexic two days ago in the office and she is just so straight forward and direct.

I orginally wanted to go into eating disorders, as I"m sure you know I am really interested in it and know it well. But realised it would be more triggering to myself, spending day after day looking at emaciated girls would make me feel guilty. So i help emaciated cancer patients which is pretty dam interesting and i love.

So my question is what kind of dietician (if you went to one) would you want to go to? (I don't think I am all that strict)

I don't binge any more - but when I did my favorite was cookies-and-cream ice cream.smile.gif I can keep some ice cream in the house if I have to, but I will never keep that flavor.

On what type of dietician:

I would want a realistic one. People in the real world go out to dinner, eat at other people's houses, and forget to bring food with them and end up grabbing something out of a vending machine. I wouldn't want some kind of food police.

Which is why this question puzzles me - what do you mean by strict? Isn't telling an anorexic to keep a detailed food diary and stick to a rigid number of protein/fat/calories sort of counter-productive if the goal is to act normal around food? Or do you mean something else?

No matter what, making a patient feel scared and ashamed is not a good tactic for anyone in the health field.

I don't know how you do this work at all, Ash - I can't think of anything more triggering for me than thinking about food and calories all day long, no matter what type of patient it was for.

I know in the begining it was (and can be at times), i know my brother kept saying it was the worst profession to go in to.

When i mean strick, i don't mean rigid at all, goal with an anerexic is definately not to count calories. I guess she is tough and no nonsence. Anerexic came and weighed herself and had lost weight, and she rather stern about eat more. I don't know?

I guess am too understanding about it if you know what i mean?

;)

I don't know how you do this work at all, Ash - I can't think of anything more triggering for me than thinking about food and calories all day long,

This has nothing, really, to do with Ash being a dietician but it's very similar to something I've been thinking since reading something a few weeks ago.

I was reading an article on changing one's eating behaviors and the suggested first step was to STOP THINKING ABOUT EATING. And not just the bad things I eat, but the good things as well. The author said that even thinking about eating well is still thinking about food, which then triggers the behaviors of an eating disorder. Whether you restrict or binge.

That was a real eye opener for me because I think about food constantly. And not always bad, binging food but I often think about all the really healthy things I eat.

S9 - You are really right about this one. I knew I was better when I started thinking about food only when I was hungry or saw a cool recipe.tongue.gif

Ash - this is exactly what I mean by a realistic one. If you are seriously back-sliding that's one thing, but if you are losing a pound here and there? Even when I was in the hospital, losing a half-pound in a day with a strict calorie count and no exercise wasn't uncommon. All it meant was how many calories you ate had to be upped - it was just part of life. Even then, my comment about making a patient feel scared and ashamed still stands.

Archived