CrazyBoards.org

Houston's craziest

20. A woman who lives alone in an apartment and has threatened a caseworker with a weapon. She was living without an air conditioner or refrigerator.

OH NO! LIFE WITHOUT AN AIRCON OR REFRIGERATOR GOD HELP US ALL! <<sarcasm

But yeah, I was pretty shocked at this garbage.

I have a lot of complaints about these articles, but just as a starting point: Isn't this releasing private medical information to the police? What ever happened to doctor-patient confidentiality? The Houston Police Department, both the sympathetic, and the jerks, now know the medical histories of these people.

And did you see the comment by the Scientologist? What a twat.

I also don't like the implication that these patients were willfully abusing the emergency care system, by requiring so much attention. If they want to have Social Services implement these programs, which seem to help some of these patients, more power to them. But why the need to let the police know their health records?

20. A woman who lives alone in an apartment and has threatened a caseworker with a weapon. She was living without an air conditioner or refrigerator.

OH NO! LIFE WITHOUT AN AIRCON OR REFRIGERATOR GOD HELP US ALL! <<sarcasm

But yeah, I was pretty shocked at this garbage.

It is pretty hot and humid in Houston, so I can understand how A/C there might be as important as heating is in Massachusetts (for the winter). High humidity makes heat a lot worse than it would otherwise be because sweating doesn't work. (You still sweat but the air is so moist that your sweat doesn't want to evaporate, and it's the evaporation of sweat that helps you cool off.)

Texas's mental health system sucks, what little there is of it.

Most of the homeless mentally ill population has no clinic access here, and often no way to get meds-so they end up in crisis again and again. Harris County Psychiatric Center will stabilize them for a few days, but they may not get any follow-up care.

The really ill may not have the coherency to fight the battle to get care from the state.

The Mental Health/ Mental Retardation Authority(state psych centers) will refuse to see you any more if you miss two appointments, not consecutively, but period.

But, yeah, I don't like the tone of the article-the stigma of MI is already bad enough. I do like though that they state it is often the MI people being exploited and attacked, not the other way around.

The summer heat here mainly only kills elderly people and the ill, but it does kill people. It's not from dehydration, but hyperthermia in most cases. The 90% humidity does not allow the sweat to evaporate, and you cook.

I don't love the way either article was written, but the program they're about actually sounds really good to me, and people are pretty clearly being helped by it. I don't find it too much of a shock that public services for the mentally ill would be collaborating with a police department.

There are anti-psychotics that make it difficult to regulate body temperature, so a hot humid day can be fatal even for a young healthy person. When I worked as an intern at a prison law office, we actually brought a suit against the CDC, because 5 prisoners who were under "chemical restraint" died on a day that reached 105.

Archived