CrazyBoards.org

Building Sense of Self

One of the features of BPD is lacking a strong sense of self. I do not claim BPD as an identity, but I relate with many of the "symptoms" and know that constructing a sense of self is something important I need to work on.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever been told they need to build a sense of self, and if you have any suggestions / ideas / links about how to do this.

Blessings,

I'm one of those without a strong sense of self, and I need to work on that with my therapist. So unfortunately, I can't give you any advice. However, I remember reading that one way to develop a sense of self is to keep a list of things that you are, so that you can discover that you have more self than you knew.

mint

for me developing a strong sense of self started with learning about boundaries. what they are, how to develop them, how to assert my boundaries with other people so that I am not overwhelmed by others or depend on others to tell me who I am am, what I should be doing, how to live, etc. I still have quite a ways to go but I am much more secure in myself as a person now.

Go out and find yourself.

Seriously, go try things, preferably alone so you don't just adopt the attitude of who you are with, and see what you feel about them. Pick hobbies, change the way you dress, research religions, figure out what you like to do with your spare time, what kind of people you feel comfortable with. Experiment, change your mind.

That's what I did. I'm still a fluid person, but more definite than I was.

i agree with what others have mentioned but maybe also try personal mantras like telling yourself that you are worthy because "fill in the blank" and just keep adding to that list daily and reminding yourself how beautiful of a person you truly are despite the fact that some others cannot see it.

Go out and find yourself.

Seriously, go try things, preferably alone so you don't just adopt the attitude of who you are with, and see what you feel about them. Pick hobbies, change the way you dress, research religions, figure out what you like to do with your spare time, what kind of people you feel comfortable with. Experiment, change your mind.

That's what I did. I'm still a fluid person, but more definite than I was.

Oddly enough, I did all those things, and I think they are in part what made me so fractured. I spent so long by myself figuring out who I was, I forgot who I was when I was with other people. I dunno. It's weird. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Hi, I understand how it is to not have a sense of self. It can be very difficult for those of us whith any of these other difficulties. I know I have more than one. I personally have been so entangled just trying to deal with surviving and functioning that finding a sense of self has always been way up there on the needs triangle. I have not yet succeeded in getting past the basic survival ones, nothing about enlightenment, mindfullness, sense of self. It's just been a constant struggle ever since I can remember. It seems that is who I am, a constant struggler, I'm so tired. I hate it and I'm so sorry you are having trouble too. I hope the best for you. I'm sorry I have no words of wisdom.

Archived