CrazyBoards.org

Billyboyboo

I second sorrely; what people??? told you this. Your doc or docs that diagnosed you as having schizoaffective disorder should prescribe the proper med or meds for you. What did they suggest?

Abilify, I can't take it

Seroquel, I can take but it makes me too sleepy, maybe 25mg?

I'll talk with the Doctor.

Billy.

Thinking about Seroquel 25mg again, I have been on Invega, 9mg a day, don't think I listed that one.

I seriously think I do have some Schizophrenia, I'm Bipolar, PTSD, i know that.

I was in bed earlier and heard voices, like mixed voices from the past along with tinnitus.

Billy. just paranoid!

From what you have written, I get a sense that you are feeling conflicted about your diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder. It is a tough diagnosis to hear and processing the information can take some time.

I have been taking risperdol for nearly three years and it works for me. For some reason, Abilify made me angry and short-tempered--not my real nature at all. I have also tried Geodon but I felt as though I were on an acid trip when I took that. Everybody responds to medications differently so I want to encourage you to work with your doctor in finding the combination that is right for you. Also, please try to be patient because antipsychotic drugs do not start working right away. It could take a couple of weeks for you to reap the benefits of the medication. Give it time.

Peace,

Sheila

I'm schizoaffective, and Zyprexa has worked wonders for me. I tried Seroquel, but it really didn't cut it. I hope you find a combo of meds that works for you, whatever that mix may be. All I can really suggest is trusting your pdoc.

When I first heard my diagnosis, I was devastated. Schizoaffective isn't much fun to hear (not that any MI is good to hear), But now that we know what it is, we can focus on treating it effectively.

Best wishes.

well you probably have to do the med go around (taking all the antipsychotics available one at a time and hopefully find the one that works for you soon)

but i'd start with Zyprexa. in my opinion (and probably my pdocs opinion) Zyprexa is the second best antipsychotic after Clozapine (which you dont want to take unless all the 12 or something other antipsychotics fail) zyprexa will make you fat. it's bad really i know. but it has virtually no other side effects which is quite unique among antipsychotics. very interestingly it has seldom CNS and psychological side effects (which is not that true for risperdal (parkinsonism, tardive diskinesia at higher doses, inability to get any sort of orgasm if youre male. invega (the same as risperdal)/geodon (dont know but many people dont like it)/seroquel (HEARING more VOICES, being a zombie)/abilify (akathisia, worsening of psychosis, agitation from hell) /etc..)

i'm rather fat, SERIOUSLY.

I'm going to ask about Zyprexa, I was on it before 15mg, it was less sedating, also Lithium helped with my depression, hopefully I will be on this combo soon.

Billy.

seroquel is actually more sedating in smaller dosages than it is in larger dosages. so your suggestion of 25mg would be MORE sedating and less affective as an antipsychotic. the usual dosaging for schizoophrenia is about 600-900mg.

I agree, I find this to be true.

B.

Archived