CrazyBoards.org

What is the best generic Ambien?

To Whom It May Concern:

I just discovered that"Prasco" has stopped producing/manufacturing/marketing their version of Sanofi Ambien. They were the "exclusive agents" marketing Sanofi/Aventis Ambien from April 2007 until March 2009. Prasco was identical, buffering agents and all to original Sanofi Ambien, and was made in the same facilities. I missed out on getting a chance at trying this generic zolpidem!!!! Also, the shortage of Curaco

"516" oval shaped Zolpidem, after the FDA raided all Michigan manufacturing facilities last July (2009) I understand ......is now back out on the market. Can anyone confirm that Curaco Zopidem 10mg. Oval white embossed "516" is now back in the marketplace? (My independent pharmacist has just switched to 100%

Teva zolpidem, which I do not like, IMHO, about 1/2 as strong, as the real thing. I used to like Curaco, back

in 2008...........................rolleyes.gif

• 3 weeks later...

To Whom It May Concern:

I just discovered that"Prasco" has stopped producing/manufacturing/marketing their version of Sanofi Ambien. They were the "exclusive agents" marketing Sanofi/Aventis Ambien from April 2007 until March 2009. Prasco was identical, buffering agents and all to original Sanofi Ambien, and was made in the same facilities. I missed out on getting a chance at trying this generic zolpidem!!!! Also, the shortage of Curaco

"516" oval shaped Zolpidem, after the FDA raided all Michigan manufacturing facilities last July (2009) I understand ......is now back out on the market. Can anyone confirm that Curaco Zopidem 10mg. Oval white embossed "516" is now back in the marketplace? (My independent pharmacist has just switched to 100%

Teva zolpidem, which I do not like, IMHO, about 1/2 as strong, as the real thing. I used to like Curaco, back

Thanks for this info. As far as I know, I'm in love with Ambien. I have been taking it for years and I love what it's doing to me. I purchased it online through (name deleted) and till now I am grateful that I've known it.

Edited by olga
No advertising allowed

• 4 months later...

To Whom It May Concern:

Thanks for this info. As far as I know, I'm in love with Ambien. I have been taking it for years and I love what it's doing to me. I purchased it online through (name deleted) and till now I am grateful that I've known it.

I take Zolpidem 516 but I don't live in Michigan - I live in Nebraska. I love it, though. It works for me. - suzie

To Whom It May Concern:

Thanks, now I understand why I can no longer get the oval zolpidem which I could snap in half. Very useful to be able to break them. There seems to be no way to score and snap the little round ones whic my pharmacy is now giving me. They did not seem as strong to me either. But I doubted myself.

Edited by bpladybug

• 5 weeks later...

Honestly, as somebody who has been on and off Ambien/Zolpidem since I was an older adolescent, this is my take:

-Your mind is the most powerful part of your body in many ways.

If you take a pill, and *believe* that it "isn't the same, or as good" , then it will not be.

The placebo effect actually does hold true even while taking medications.

If I take a pill, and am determined it won't work, have thoughts in my mind that are borderline obsessive, then guess what? I won't sleep!

My suggestion:

Try to forget and relax!

There are MANY apps for the iphone/itouch that are cheap. You listen to them with headphones, and they really help!

Just do a search on 'sleep'!

Combine that with Ambien and you should be fine!

Try it!

So many people have Iwhatevers now...

Good luck!

(and welcome back to me for being away so darn long!)

I recently started getting an oval generic Ambien (no manufacturer listed, didn't take time to look it up) after previously getting the one made by Teva. I've never had the brand name.

I notice the new one does seem to be stronger than the Teva, but I think the most important thing is to take whichever brand you get on an empty stomach. The Teva works okay, too, but the new one I got seems to work even if I've eaten too close to bedtime.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jennifer

I just noticed awful headaches and a bad taste in my mouth from a new version of Zolpidem - the pill is white, round and has a 78 on the back and either an E or a 3 on the front. My old pills used to be oblong and I liked them much more. This is awful. I also like the oblong because I could split it down if I didnt need the full dose once in awhile.

• 1 month later...

i swear, i think im one of the only people out there who doesnt like ambien. this is a tangent, and does not directly relate to your topic, but felt the need to reply. i dont know which i was taking, but it made me feel so bad after a few days, and REALLY messed with my anxiety and/or heart issues. mind you, it helped me sleep very well. the apparent side effects just killed me though. sorry, just wanted to chime in.

Ambien didn't work for me until we upped the dose to 20 mg. I take 2 tablets from Torrent that are yellow, oblong and have a logo on one side and 10 MG on the other side.

And it does work faster on an empty stomach.

I've tried a lot of sleep meds. I don't really notice any side effects from ambien. As long as i get about 9 hours in bed.

edit to add: when I tried ambien a few years ago i don't know if it was brand or generic, but 10 mg didn't work then either for me

Edited by tigger

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I always go brand huunting well my pharmacist does for me I've tried dr reddy worked for a while then these oblong ones mylan the purple round ones I've wwwent through so many untill I found qualtist wich works good for now

• 1 month later...

10 years strong on Ambien/Zolipidem Tartrate. Dr. Reddy's was ok, they just switched to Qualitest and WOAH! This stuff works better than it did day 1. Wonder what the difference is? I didn't notice the name brand til 4 days into the Rx, but it's definitely stronger

teva has a good rep, i believe.

i only ever got one shitty ambien batch, which was so bad i tossed. I was DUMB and did not check the manufacturer but it was from target and i never go there and haven't had problems since.

Sorry to not be more help. But, i think everyone responds differently, so you will probably have to experiement a bit...

There is also Ambien ER which is not yet generic I believe. I actually like that stuff, sometimes, as it seems to go 8ish hours instead of 5--6. I do the ER sometimes when my sleep is fraying and I get early morning awakening.

If that happens to you your doc may be able to make a case for it. I don't have problems getting it when needed, although I have cadillac insurance, the only med they've ever asked for a PO on is saphris, which to be honest I don't actually, um, blame them much. just a non generic copay instead of a generic one....

Doc has it it in, my po, I think I will get it, though (saphris). Hoping and crossing fingers.

Woah all over map this a.m. sorry provigil and lack of ADHD has not kicked in yet....

anna

teva has a good rep, i believe.

i only ever got one shitty ambien batch, which was so bad i tossed. I was DUMB and did not check the manufacturer but it was from target and i never go there and haven't had problems since.

Sorry to not be more help. But, i think everyone responds differently, so you will probably have to experiement a bit...

There is also Ambien ER which is not yet generic I believe. I actually like that stuff, sometimes, as it seems to go 8ish hours instead of 5--6. I do the ER sometimes when my sleep is fraying and I get early morning awakening.

If that happens to you your doc may be able to make a case for it. I don't have problems getting it when needed, although I have cadillac insurance, the only med they've ever asked for a PO on is saphris, which to be honest I don't actually, um, blame them much. just a non generic copay instead of a generic one....

Doc has it it in, my po, I think I will get it, though (saphris). Hoping and crossing fingers.

Woah all over map this a.m. sorry provigil and lack of ADHD has not kicked in yet....

anna

• 3 months later...

Sometimes that holds true, but other times it's really the medication. I have Bipolar II Disorder and ADD and other things so I've been on a lot of medication and half of how I feel is due to my mental outlook and the other half is due to the medications. You can't really make yourself believe that the meds are working when they really aren't.

Honestly, as somebody who has been on and off Ambien/Zolpidem since I was an older adolescent, this is my take:

-Your mind is the most powerful part of your body in many ways.

If you take a pill, and *believe* that it "isn't the same, or as good" , then it will not be.

The placebo effect actually does hold true even while taking medications.

If I take a pill, and am determined it won't work, have thoughts in my mind that are borderline obsessive, then guess what? I won't sleep!

My suggestion:

Try to forget and relax!

There are MANY apps for the iphone/itouch that are cheap. You listen to them with headphones, and they really help!

Just do a search on 'sleep'!

Combine that with Ambien and you should be fine!

Try it!

So many people have Iwhatevers now...

Good luck!

(and welcome back to me for being away so darn long!)

• 1 month later...

If you read these articles, I think they were written by the inventors, they show why there is variation among the different kinds of zolpidem.

The form of the starting material, the water content of the starting material, the solvent used, the breakdown of the form of zolpidem, the manufacturer’s handling process…….

http://www.freshpatents.com/Pharmaceutical-composition-of-zolpidem-dt20080619ptan20080145425.php

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6242460.html

• 4 months later...

Pamf234,

Thank you for your links, to the pharmacological and chemists nomenclature that explain the complexity, of, what the different generic manufacturers go thru, including the bioequivalance, and, the bioavailability, of so many hoops the ethical pharmaceutical companies goes thru, to place a med on the marketplace. In the 2009 REDBOOK, "Pharmacy's Fundamental Reference" ISBN

978-1-56363-706-3 published by Physicians Desk Reference, Montvale, NJ, (113th yr of publication) and distributed by Thompson Reuters Healthcare, there were sixteen (16) generic manufacturer's competing with one another for the Sanofi Ambien market share, when, we all know that the patent expired in the USA, in April 2007, (on original 5 and 10 mg Amben) who also market, Zolpidem under the brand name Stilnox, in many other non USA countries. The 16 mfg's in the 2009 edition, were

Actavis, Apotex, Aurobindo Pharma, Caraco, Dr. Reddy's, Glemnark, Mylan, Prasco, Ranbaxy, Roxane, Sandoz,

Synthon, Teva, Torrent, UDL, and Woodhardt USA.. Since this data was audited, on data, during the early first quarter of calender year 2009, the data, I just printed in now, approaching 3 yrs old, examples: Apotex, and Prasco, are no longer, manufactured, Caraco, had a seize and desist order placed on all their manunfacturing of Zolpidem, in July of 2009, (allegedly, the S&D order has been lifted) I have no reference, on this, as I am not in possession of a 2011 REDBOOK. "Ranbaxy" has to put it mildly, has consistent legal difficulties, with the USA Food & Drug Administration, with many of their product lines, about "inconsistencies" as this mfg, is a industry giant generic manufacturer, based in India, with one plant in Jacksonville, Florida USA, and a USA division hdqtrs in Princeton NJ. Exactly 28,324,399 total number of generic Zolpidem prescriptions were filled from January 1, 2008 until December 31, 2008, Source: Verispan's Vector One National Reports, page 185 of the REDBOOK 2009, placing in the "top 200 generics prescribed in the USA during calender yr 2008, Zolpidem Tartrate was ranked number 17. In the top 200 Brand Name's dispensed by USA pharmacies, during 2008, Sanofi Ambien CR was listed as number 37, with, 7,214,481 prescriptions filled for that "newer patented formulation" I could not find the still produced brand name Sanofi Ambien instant release, listed in any of the top 200 brand name drugs, likely due to its immense costs difference,

"the Average Wholesale Price of Sanofi Ambien in 2009, was, $537.77 US dollars for one bottle of one hundred 10mg Ambien", and, $2,688.82 for one bottle of 500 count 10 mg Sanofi Ambien, AWP, (Average Wholesale Price) with a traditional, historical mark up of a aggregrate 20% above that to arrive at a Retail Cash Price to the consumer. Source: REDBOOK 2009 in the "foreword section".

In addressing, the post made 5 Oct 2010, by Guest_Sleepy, has anyone tried Qualitest, Mylan, or Sandoz Zolpidem? My answer is, I have tried, Sandoz, "once" from the USA chain of Pharmacies, I think it was "Rite-Aid" about 18 months ago. On a scale of 1 to 10, with a "10" being perfectly matched to Sanofi Ambien, that I am on my 11th year taking from my Psychiatrist, I rate a "5 or a 6" (My worst experience, was IMHO with Teva, with world headquarters in Israel, dispensed to me twice, in 2008, and 2009, and I rate it a "2 or 3" tops, (terribly weak). I currently take Actavis generic Zolpidem, I rate a again, a "5 or 6" and usually take two 10 mg at a time, to get the relief, I once consistently got with Sanofi Ambien. "Torrent I rated a pitiful 2 or 3"

Internationally, I crave my July 2006 to March 2008, ability to get Gador Pharmaceutical Zolpidem 10 mg, marketed in Argentina, as "Somit" I always rated a "10". Gador S.A, Darwin 429, C1414CUI, Buenos Aires, Argentina, South America, & marketed in Paraguay, South America. USA prices were 30 ten mg "comprimidos" for $51.00. I have more recently tried,

Winthrop Labs Zolpidem, who manufacture, under license from Sanofi Aventis, in South Africa, "Ivedal" 10 mg. a solid 8 to a 9, manufactured in Midrand, South Africa.

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed awful headaches and a bad taste in my mouth from a new version of Zolpidem - the pill is white, round and has a 78 on the back and either an E or a 3 on the front. My old pills used to be oblong and I liked them much more. This is awful. I also like the oblong because I could split it down if I didnt need the full dose once in awhile.

Dear Guest_jennifer_*

I realize your question and post is dated, but I have your answer for you. The pill you had was a five milligram white round version of Zolpidem Tartrate, with a 78 on one side, and, a E on the other side. The manufacturer name is Aurobindo Pharma USA Inc 2400 Route 130 North, Dayton, New Jersey 08810. The National Drug Code for that version is 65862-0169-01 (if the pharmacy received it in a 100 count bottle, or NDC code 65862-0169-05, if the pharmacy received the 500 count bottle)

The Orange Book Rating, supplied by the FDA, is a "AB" (meaning meets bioequivalence requirements) but

IMHO, because the USA FDA or DEA, does not rate the "bioavailability" requirements, (the way our bodies break down the drug, which can vary significantly, due to many factors, including cheap binders, cheap fillers, and, short cuts, taken, by the manufacturers, IMHO, to increase profits, and reduce costs, at the expense, of the consumer, unfortunately, as you may have experienced.

I acknowledge, as has already been stated, there is the Placebo effect, and/or the "negative expectation" that the generic drug, may not measure up to the patented real Ambien, as has been proven

in "not specific Ambien cases, to my knowledge, but, has been proven, in general studies of other drugs,

in previous drug trials, by clinical psychologists. The other side of the coin, is that that previous

statement, does not always stand true for any generic drug, vs. its copy of the "formerly patented drug".

Just my 2 cents worth, as in January of 2012, will mark my 11th year on various forms of Zolpidem,

mostly 100% Sanofi Ambien, from 2001 to around 2006, when a change in my insurance, restricted me to the

amount I could take per month, over-riding my Psychiatrist number count. My experience with sampling about

1/2 dozen, versions of first, Zolpidem from India (Sun Pharmaceuticals) Germany (Sanofi "Stilnox")

Argentina (Gador "Somit") Spain (Sanofi Stilnox), were a perfect "10" with the exception, of the

Zolpidem, manufactured in India, (very weak, and unstable release in bioavailability).

Since, Sanofi, in the USA, went generic, by the end of April of 2007, I have experienced quality

control "all over the place" a real disappointment, directly, dispenced, out of USA pharmacies. Only

two years ago, a google search such as "Teva Ambien Sucks" had widespread hits, from many unsatisfied

customers, followed by Ranbaxy, "another pharma firm with world headquarters in India" and with

"Torrent". "Dr. Reddys' once had a stellar reputation, for all of their meds, but this former pharma

firm of Germany, I fear I read has been bought out by another firm, based, out of India.............

with India having at best a reputation, of at best, "questionable quality" over the past 10 yrs.......

I once had a Dun & Bradstreet International Report, on, verifying alleged "mergers" of some drug mfgs,

but, I have let my subscription expire with D&B.

Finally, the Orange Book code, has recently been upgraded from 18 differnet quality control standards

sent to the FDA of the USA, to now 21 different variations of quality controls on the generic market,

specifically targeting the AB ratings, with AB1, AB2, and AB3, on certain medications. Source:

REDBOOK Pharmacy's Fundamental Reference 2009 edt, 113th yr of publication. ISBN 9 781563 637063

publisher Physicans Desk Reference, and, distributed by Thomson Reuters.

I am sending this "Post" with seven distinct paragraphs, with double spacing between paragraphs,

with my intent, to not create a wall of data, so very wearing on any sane person's eyes.