CrazyBoards.org

I'm freaking out about medications

Guest butterfly17

My mom got this book at Barnes and Noble all about natural ways to manage mental illnesses. I feel like I am pretty strange and that there's surely something wrong with my brain where I need medications. But okay this is what's really bothering me: The book is all about how deadly antipsychotics are. It scares me. Sometimes I DO wish I was dead but I'd never want to die slowly from brain cancer, liver/kidney failure, etc. I'm scared to take my meds now because of how the book portrays them, but I'm also scared to get off the meds cause then I'll just be miserable and may end up killing myself if I go off anyway. I DO have paranoia pretty bad, yes, but I didn't imagine the words in this book. Should I be worried? I want someone to assure me that although there are risks with these drugs, that they're for the best... I'm upset.

Guest butterfly17

I'm glad to hear that, for your sake as well as mine in the future. It was written by a Christian. At the church I went to the pastor said it's okay to be a Christian and to take medication. This book seems to be against it. It's so confusing. Plus I'm not going to church anymore.

Guest_butterfly17_*

are you an adult? If so, think for yourself. Not what your pastor says, or what this book says. There is free, public information about mental illness drugs everywhere, so you can read up on the side effects yourself and make an informed decision for yourself. If you are a minor, talk about this with your parents and ask that you see a doctor who can explain to both you and your parents all the side effects. well actually do the same if you are an adult too; talk to a doctor that is. You don't have to be confused about this stuff, you just have to be educated. here are some good places to start:

http://drugs.com

http://psychiatricdrugs.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_illness

p.s you should also understand that all medication has serious side effects. but usually the benefits outweigh the risks. Insulin has side effects but you bet most diabetics would rather take it than die. That is how serious mental illness is for me. and yes, I'd rather have to take meds for the rest of my natural life than die prematurely from mental illness-caused suicide.

edited to say: your mother giving you this book is sort of implying she thinks you should go off meds that are working for you. Why does she want you off meds that are working for you? maybe ask her that, what her agenda is and plans for you are. If you are an adult, you can set your own agenda in life and make plans for yourself. If you are still a minor, you can still make plans for when you become an adult. Which is not to say alternative treatments can't work for some types of mental illness for some people, such as depression. At one time I used St. John's Wort and 5-htp to treat my depression. However, I had another mental illness that included psychosis...this wasn't helped at all by those. Paranoia is a symptom of psychosis so I highly doubt you will be able to manage it using alternative treatments. Talk it over with your doc because they can better explain and clarify why you need the meds you do.

Guest butterfly17

I'm 21, but living at home mainly because I'm not stable enough to move out. I'm still going to college and working though. But anyway, I'm not sure why exactly she wants me to have the book. She's dodgy when I ask her about it. One minute she wants me on the meds the next she wants me to try "other things." I mean she's a great mom, but this is confusing. She can't force me to get on or off except for the fact that since I'm still at home, I'm under my parents' insurance, and if they don't wanna pay a little bit for it I can't blame them. These meds are expensive. Although I have my own money, I don't have my own insurance cause my job doesn't offer any. My mom wanting me to see this book isn't the problem, it's that I was scared that these meds really will kill me slowly and I don't want that.

Breathing will kill you slowly. My greatgrandmother has been doing it for 94 years, and she's getting closer to the end every day (or so she tells us).

BP can kill you quickly. The meds can help stop that. Does that mean they're killing you slowly?

I'm new to all of this myself, but I am NOT afraid of the meds. I'm afraid of place I was in BEFORE I started the meds - that was going to kill me. The meds aren't all fun and roses and sunshine (aka damn I'm tired, and I slept 11 hour last night!!). But I am not in that bad place, and for me, that's what matters.

Archived