CrazyBoards.org

Can you have BPD and bipolar?

My new doc seems to think I may have BPD.

The thing is, that doesn't explain how I get manic on antidepressants. Or how my depressions (and hypomanias?) last weeks to months.

Could I have both, or is my psychiatrist just a dolt? On one hand, I do have 6 of the 9 criteria, I think....on the other hand, it doesn't explain everything, especially the mania on anti-depressants. And talk therapy has never done anything for me in the past. And I just don't seem like the stereotypical "borderline", ya know?

At any rate, 100 mg of seroquel is making me a little less depressed. Not enough, but just enough to stop me from being actively suicidal for now. Ha.

It's possible to have both. Both also appear to have symptom overlap so it can take a while to sort out whether it's one or the other or both. Best advice is to be patient and if possible, to try DBT. It has good efficacy with BPD and can help with bipolar, too.

Yeah, you can. There's some overlap, but there's lots more to BPD than affective (mood) symptoms. Sometimes it takes more than one diagnonsense to cover all the ground that needs to be covered. I have BPD and depression.

P.S. A lot of Borderline stereotypes are guff. I'm an 8or 9 out of 9 Borderline, and most people wouldn't be able to tell without getting really close to me. A lot of it stays in my head.

I do have both. I don't react well to antidepressants and so I need antipsychotics. Many of the symptoms are very much the same. In fact, I've always thought BPD was just Bipolar (I know it's not but it's not like I'm qualified or anything so that's just my perception).

I haven't yet got an 'official' diagnosis, but my pdoc says BPD, BPII or both for me. She hasn't worked out the overlap so she isn't giving me a diagnosis for awhile, other than that. So yeah, you can have both. ;)

Some people have manic reactions to meds but aren't bipolar. That doesn't automatically qualify for a diagnosis of bipolar. It means you don't get along with that class of medications.

Yeah, I know that. I'm pretty sure I've been hypomanic without meds helping that along, but what do I know? Hahaha.

There is overlap.

I also think it's important to look at timing of symptoms.... if you only ever have BPD symptoms DURING a mood episode, the dual dx may be wrong. BPD is supposed to be stable over the lifespan.

But again, that's just an opinion, I do think there are a few too many BP people out there misdiagnosed as BPD and vice versa. But again, that's just an opinion.

Anna

My doctor obviously believes you can have both. The difference to me is in the natural characteristics vs. the bp disease acting out. I find most of my BPD qualities lead me on positive, creative and passionate journies and effects my energy in general.. With the Celexa my anxiety, and depressive episodes slowed and faded away. The addition of the klono was life changing. I felt manic with racing thoughts and excessive OCDing so they added the Abilify which I am still in the preliminary stages of.

Archived