CrazyBoards.org

Pre-emptive meds?

I just got off geodon - my choice, or should I say insistence, I didn't like it - and am feeling a bit hyped. I have a pdoc appt tomorrow, and have no idea whether I should ask for a replacement mood stabilizer/AAP, or let nature take its course and see what happens. Does anyone use pre-emptive meds, knowing that moods are unstable without them, but taking them before the mood swings happen? (I have no idea if that even makes sense). She doesn't like the abilify, b/c it raises cholesterol levels, and she was aiming to have me on geodon (and lamictal) alone, eventually. Lowering the abilify brought back the voices, so I had to raise it again.

I can't afford another crash of depression, though god knows I could use a good hypomania, if only I had the guarantee that it wouldn't slip into mixed states or mania. I really can't afford more time off from life, I'm struggling hard to get back into painting, although that's another concern too, having to deal with blunting of creativity.

I know this is between me and my pdoc, I guess I'm just wondering how others approach this type of predicament. She mentioned tegretol as a next possibility, I'd be interested to hear how it's working for others. (Yes, I know, YMMV)

most people with severe mood disorders take maintenance medications regardless of whether or not they are currently experiencing a mood episode with the express purpose of preventing an onset. I believe this is the generally accepted course of action by the psychiatric profession although I know many consumers (patients), including myself at times, who have attempted to go without meds until it seemed they were necessary. In my own personal experience, this experiment has failed every time.

best of luck to you.

--lluv

Well, good results as in "it worked for mood control", but I couldn't take the s/e effects anymore. I had incontinence problems with it - pdoc swears that it's not in the PI, so it must not be a s/e - but amazing that the problem went away as soon as I stopped. And if I didn't drink a ton of water - sometimes I would forget, and not drink as much - I swear I would feel absolutely poisoned the next day. I'm pretty sure that my funky heartbeats were because of panic and anxiety, but the warnings about heart problems kept me anxious the whole time. So, that was enough, in my opinion, to warrant dropping the med. Pdoc was NOT happy about it, she thinks I'm overreacting. Maybe I am, but the first problem listed was simply intolerable.

I'm capable of dealing with s/e's, I don't want to make it sound like I can't. I'm just trying to find acceptable ones. At this point, I'd rather be back on seroquel, which I might ask for.

Lluv, putting in the word "maintenance" makes it pretty clear. Thank you.

Yes maintenance meds are a good idea provided episodic symptoms are severe enough. Some people have long enough prodromal periods and mild enough symtoms that they can get away with not doing so I am not one of them.

Anna

might want to call the geodon s.e. registery to register a new s.e. if it has never been reported.

Archived