CrazyBoards.org

best meds for PMDD?

therapist said today that i need to talk to pdoc about my raging PMDD (new dianosis)...just wondering what types of AD's work well for that since you're only supposed to take it during your cycle...and no birth control is NOT an option for me as anything with hormones makes me LOONEY.

thanks!

I imagine that just about any AD would do the trick. I know fluoxetine is approved for it (long half-life makes it OK to take intermittently?). Guess it depends on what works for you.

I take Effexor all of the time, and it seems to help with the cycle mood wonkiness (along with the nutty obsessive thoughts, which is why I got the med actually). I haven't been dx'ed with PMDD, but I've been known to get suicidal around that time. So me thinks there's something funky going on there. Oh, the joys of having a mood disorder.

Anyway, for whatever reason, birth control with slightly higher doses of hormones seem to work better than slightly lower doses of hormones in terms of keeping my mood in check. Yes, smaller doses are destabilizing. I don't know why that is. No one can explain it to me. I like Ortho-Novum 7/7/7. I know you can't do hormones, but I thought I'd throw that out there for someone who can.

Natural Progesterone Cream... WAY better than going on meds for PMDD... Antidepressants should be last resort!! Google the Natural Progesterone Cream benefits... I'm there with you... the "dream cream" is rocking my world right now... also getting rid of my fibrocysts in my breasts (non cancerous lumps)! along with a TON of other horrible hormone problems I had!! Oh, and dont let them convince you that birth conrtol pills will make it better.. cuz it actually makes it worse.. it ALL stems from estrogen dominance (also known as Progesterone deficiency).

Here is a little about it:

http://www.progesteronetherapy.com/estrogen-dominance.html

good luck.

Archived