CrazyBoards.org

Mental illness is non-organic, unlike organic mental illnesses such as dementia. How could you claim someone has schizophrenia (a mental illness), when they disagree that they even have it, when there is no physical evidence or test to prove they have a physical illness. If the illness is purely mental, then to have it, the patient would need to agree they are ill, or feel ill at least.

Schizophrenia has not only been shown to cause loss of white matter and grey matter (that's brain tissue, yahoo) but the genetic code is already partially cracked. It is commonly accepted as a physiological illness.

If you are going to spout off, back it up with peer reviewed scientific citations from established medical and scientific journals. If you have no hard cite, then don't post.

I see what you're saying, VE. How about emotions. Everyone says they have them, but where's the proof? Where's something you can chop up to see direct cause and effect? According to briefcrossing, no one must have them. Oh, but wait. There's the hippocampus. Chop that up and your emotions have problems, sort of like what happens with the hippocampus abnormalities of bipolar and major depression. Gee, how many more of these can we do?

I am a believer in antipsychiatry. I agree with what this doctor has told you. It is best to try other methods first before meds. Schizophrenia is non-existent, because it is a set of symptoms that society wishes to control, when in fact many people diagnosed as schizophrenic are unaware of their illness, meaning they are not ill.

What meds are you on?

Personally, I think it's briefcrossing who is the mental construct.... Just words on a page, that I don't actually believe in. That poster must not be real.

Anna

mmmm..... refreshing, actually. There may be something to this antpsychiatry theory. Tomorrow I am going to practice not believing in gravity to see if I feel lighter, or weigh less. It's gonna be sweet!

Stacia,

I'm not at all agreeing with bc's statement (and I honestly didn't bother to go back and look at the initial posts. If they follow bc's line, it would be pointless!)

but I think you missed bc's point (point?) HAVING an emotion is not the same thing.

I THINK bc is saying something to the effect that, for example, no matter what person X thought, if those around him didn't see that behavior as a "sickness" it wouldn't BE one.

The person could, for example, be considered a prophet!

Then we could carry placards saying

"Faithfull! Climb the walls! For the FBI agents cometh in 666 days!" ;)

And bc sayeth unto us "If the illness is purely mental, then to have it, the patient would need to agree they are ill, or feel ill at least."

& Mr. Spock retorts "This is illogical."

And bc sayeth unto us "If the illness is purely mental, then to have it, the patient would need to agree they are ill, or feel ill at least."

& Mr. Spock retorts "This is illogical."

Indeed. Your logic is so backwards bc I don't know where to start.

Schizophrenia is non-existent, because it is a set of symptoms that society wishes to control, when in fact many people diagnosed as schizophrenic are unaware of their illness, meaning they are not ill.

Well of course mental illness is related to culture and societal norms. Without those norms, you couldn't tell what was abnormal.

Some people with schizophrenia are aware of their illness. But you don't have to be aware of it to have it. Their is no diagnostic circuitry in the brain, so if the brain malfunctions, it can't always tell it has incurred a fault. There is no physical test for it because one is not needed - a clinician can diagnose it easily by observing and talking to the patient. Why, then, go to the expense of say, a functional MRI, to diagnose it?

But consider, physical objects and physical events are "shadows" of their ideal or perfect forms, and exist only to the extent that they instantiate the perfect versions of themselves. Just as shadows are temporary, inconsequential epiphenomena produced by physical objects, physical objects are themselves fleeting phenomena caused by more substantial causes, the ideals of which they are mere instances. So schizophrenia is just an imperfect instance of the perfect form of shizophrenicness.

Think about that!

I am a believer in antipsychiatry. I agree with what this doctor has told you. It is best to try other methods first before meds. Schizophrenia is non-existent, because it is a set of symptoms that society wishes to control, when in fact many people diagnosed as schizophrenic are unaware of their illness, meaning they are not ill.

What meds are you on?

To answer your question I take 2 mg of Risperdal and 20 mg of Lexapro for 2 and half years for obsessive compulsive disorder. I have also been on Cogentin for Tardive Dyskinesia.

Voices scream

Are you listening?

In my brain

Neurons glisten

A beautiful site

I'm happy tonight

Walking in denial wonderland

In the meadow we can build a snowman

And pretend that he is Peter Brown

He'll say "Are you crazy?"

We'll say "No, man! You can give a seminar when you're in town."

Later on

We'll conspire

As we sit

By the fire

To face unafraid

FBI/CIA

Walking in denial wonderland.

yes, many of know that society and culture influence how MI is manifested, how it is viewed, rates in which it is diagnosed, how it is treated, and how good an outcome you get. there is a lot of variation there. but it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, any more than differing artistic renditions of Santa Claus prove that he exists. or doesn't, depending on how old you are.

What meds are you on?

To answer your question I take 2 mg of Risperdal and 20 mg of Lexapro for 2 and half years for obsessive compulsive disorder. I have also been on Cogentin for Tardive Dyskinesia.

briefcrossing,

Was your post really about something other than anti-MI and anti-psychiatry? It sounds like maybe it was about frustratioin with the system and being in the system. A lot of people here probably understand those things. I'm not sure what you really mean now. Just thougt I'd ask. You don't have to answer if you don't want.

When I initially went into therapy I had a lot of problems with being diagnosed and medication. I was initially diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, which I was very upset about, but they changed that to OCD later on, when they realised that anxiety was my main problem. I also had a lot of problems with switching antidepressants, because I had a panic attack when I came off mirtazapine.

Archived