CrazyBoards.org

One prescription, two types of Alprazolam pills?

I just started taking .5mg Alprazolam and the first prescription I filled the pills looked like this: pinkish-orange with a ribbon looking thing and a dash on one side and a split line and 029 on the other side.

I filled it a second time at a different pharmacy and the bottle reads the same but this pill looks like this: light pink (almost white) with Mylan A3 on one side and just a split line on the other side.

I'm new to these meds so I'm hoping someone can fill me in???

It's probably that they gave you a different generic each time.

Does the bottle say the generic company anywhere? Like, is the drug name something like apo-alprazolam?

If you go to the cocktails board, there is a pinned thread with some pill identifiers where you can make sure the pill is actually what it is supposed to be.

You can also call the pharmacy and ask. I actually did get the wrong pills once, and I called the pharmacy and had them look it up for me - they have drug ID books. So if you can't find anything on the internet, call them.

Alprazolam is generic for Xanax.

However, while only one company manufactures Xanax, several companies may manufacture alprazolam, and may make their pills look different. It's all alprazolam, though.

So, I've heard people say that they react differently to generics than name brand, does that mean that the different brands of generic are different as well? Could I expect to have a different experience with one generic to another?

There can be differences due to slight differences in bioavailability (how much of the dose you swallow makes it to your bloodstream) or differences in the non-drug ingredients in the pill.

There are certain drugs that this has been an especial issue with - Wellbutrin and Lamictal come to mind. Benzos, not so much, though it's possible.

It's the exact same drug molecule, but there can sometimes be non-drug factors that have an impact, if that makes sense.

I wouldn't stress about it.

Archived