CrazyBoards.org

Depression/anxiety and ADD

I have recently come down with a depression/anxiety episode for the first time after a bad reaction to trying some Celexa and I'm still stuck in it. It might be improving slightly with the Aplenzin I'm taking but I'm still not my normal happy self. After sifting through some of these forums I am curious to see how others with depression/anxiety and ADD are coping.. and if a med or combo of meds can help both since it seems they are closely related. I was taking Metadate before I fell into this hole a few months ago and I haven't taken it since because I felt it was making me more anxious. But some things I read on here relate to me and how my brain is behaving. My bad days usually consist of one thing... my mind drifting off but constantly turing to the negative side of things. In the past I would "day dream" like people with ADD do but it was about happy things or just zoning out in general. Now I can't turn off the negativity!! Time alone is the worst. When I have busy days at work I'm usually pretty good and when I visit family or go out with friends I also feel closer to normal. I will talk to my pdoc about this next time I see him but wanted to write these thoughts down now and see if others are experiencing similar problems. This whole thing has just been hell and this is not the person I am. I feel like a demon has taken over my mind and I have no control over it. I am a happy person and I want return to normal for myself, my wife and my family.

hey there. i don't really know what to tell you. i don't take any meds but have depression, anxiety, and ADD. i also feel better when i'm forced to be around people but sometimes that can backfire on me and i obsess about everything that went on when i was socializing.

what were you taking the Celexa for? why did you switch to Aplenzin? was it because of depression? or was it just for ADD? i'm kind of confused as to how all this started... other than taking celexa.

Sorry, I feel like the history of my story is really long so I didn't want to write another huge post thinking people wouldn't want to read all of it. So, I had been feeling down a little for the first time in my life and I had an appt with my family doc for an ear infection so I just decided to ask about depression and AD's. He wrote me a prescription for Celexa and I figured what the hell, might as well give it a shot. I took a total of 2 of them over 2 days and it sent me into a full blown depression. My wife took me to the ER because I was antsy and had suicidal thoughts. I took a week off of work hoping it was just the drug in my system and it would leave and I would feel normal again but it never went away. Whatever "down" feeling I was having before was no where close to how I felt after the Celexa. It was like it triggered something in my brain that is irreverisble. So after a couple weeks of feeling better but not back to normal I went to a pdoc and he started me on Aplenzin. That was 2 months ago and I just switched to the max dose last week because I don't feel like it's doing much, I'm still waiting for noticable positive results. This is all so new to me. Maybe this isn't my drug, but I hope there is one out there that can bring me out of this hole for good.

oh wow. that's awful. so, you're still feeling really depressed and anxious? meds always make me feel more crazy than i already am. if you were starting to feel better before starting on the Aplenzin i'm not sure why the doc wanted to give you more meds. how long does the doc think you should stay on the Aplenzin? after what happened i'd be worried you'd have trouble getting off of it.... it seems to me like you shouldn't take any meds and see a therapist to get you back on track since you were fine before all the meds.

i hope you can get things back to normal soon. it must be a horrible feeling to know you were fine before and now you feel like a demon has taken over.

Well, when I say I was feeling better after the Celexa, I wasn't really better, just not totally bugging out and wanting to die. I think it was just such a new experience to me that I didn't know how to handle it and know that I know there is a problem I think about it a lot more which just makes it worse. I was seeing a therapist but I'm not sure how much it helped me. I am an open book and I have great resources in my friends and family. My wife is a school counselor and has been the only constant through this whole thing. Like she said, it is good to get input from a therapist who doesn't know you personally and it felt good talking to him but I didn't feel like I came away with anything. I have a great life. An awesome wife, great friends and family, and a well paying job. I don't love my job but that is normal and when I compare it to others it is a great job. The only stressor in my life right now is building a new house and we've been living with her parents since May. Her parents are about the easiest people to live with on the planet but I think I am missing my sence of home more than I realize. We only have another 4-5 weeks until it's done and I have a feeling with that and spring around the corner, hopefully things will improve. I have also thought long and hard about these meds. That's why I'm on here, trying to see what they do and how people react to them. I think you could be right, meds can make you feel worse. I don't want to make any drastic changes with it until my life has returned to normal and I'm home. My doc didn't give me a length of trial with the meds, just kind of playing it by ear as I go to see him every month and how I am feeling. Thanks for listening. :-)

you're welcome.

you're probably onto something regarding missing your sense of home. even if your in-laws are next to perfect it can still be a weird psychological trip to be in someone elses home for that long. maybe things really will turn around when you get to move back into your home and spring is in the air!

as far as meds.. what they do and how people react to them... some people can have psychotic episodes from a med that rarely causes side effects. it can be very individual. the withdrawl can also be pretty messed up. somepeople never have a problem and some people can take MONTHS to withdraw from certain kinds.

My sister is Bipolar II, with a tendency towards depression. She is prescribed Provigil during exams, because it helps her with concentration, even though she is usually just on Wellbutrin. She doesn't get anxious though.

I'm going on week three of the Aplenzin 522 and have actually been feeling normal almost all the time. It could be that I've been busier at work and that our house is nearing completion but whatever it is I'm glad I'm starting to come out of the fog. I still feel some weird feelings in my stomach sometimes for no reason and I still have to fight off the negative thoughts but it is now easier to do so. I'm still not sure how much of this success is from the meds and how much is just coping better... I don't have anything to compare it to. But, for now, things are looking up. This forum has been great over the past couple of months and I will continue to check back to share my side of the story with people who may have similar situations.

Archived