CrazyBoards.org

Hey,

I'm just gonna throw this out there - even though I may be the resident obsessive exercise junky one around here ;)

I just want to pass along just how great you can feel if you just get out there and do something.

ANYthing.... walk, run, attend some sort of exercise class - doesn't really matter. 30 minutes devoted to body movement. Nobody can say there is not time for 30 minutes over the course of 24 hours to get your body shaken

When I complete a workout, I can breath deep, the air seems cleaner, my head feels lighter, my muscles feel energized and the calm that spreads throughout my "being" is remarkable.

So what if that feeling dissipates after awhile - that's why you go and do it again :)

Exercise endorphins - they are real and they help

If you go do something, report it here, I'd LOVE to hear about it and its effect on your depression

I'll be interested to hear other people's stories on this...

I have never got exercise endorphins to work, even when my limbs were trembling with fatigue:

only the pain. I firmly associate exercise with pain.

Record, admittedly many years ago now, 21 miles in a morning over broken country with a 30lb pack.

More recently large amounts of digging and earth-moving and hours of hefting rocks for dry-stone walling.

The "feel-good" comes in the achievement, not in my body at all.

BUT: I have an autistic spectrum disorder and have idiosyncratic reactions to some medications: most especially including local anaesthetics, which don't work that well.

Could this be like the asparagus thing? Works for some and not for others?

Am I rare or are there others something like me?

edit: wow, 3:1 so far!

I am an exercise addict too. I'm not sure I would phrase it as a "high" but it does mitigate ALL psych symptoms, and makes me feel better, and was my sole form of "self-medication" for years when I didn't take meds.

I have been doing better mentally since I started regularly exercising last week.

I think the real benefit from regular exercise is the overall improvement of the mental status. I don't particularly enjoy ANY exercise but there's no doubt I feel better--physically and mentally.

Spaces, I just ordered some new exercise clothes from Hanes.com! You inspired me. ;)

Couple of things...

I'm not going after a "high" - technically I am training for my upcoming triathlon season... but aside from that, it isn't a high, it is a way get out from under the depression blanket that likes to settle around me.

Often times, getting started is the absolute hardest thing to do. What I do is set up my outfit, gear, gym bag the night before; tell someone that I am going to workout; and then when the time comes, mentally shut off the internal protests, excuses, and whining.

Then I envision completing my workout and make myself remember just how good I felt the last time I did this workout

Then GO... no more thinking, just go

and when you are done, find someone to tell - either in your real life or here ;)

Most often I tell my workouts to my mom and dad - they are my biggest fans and greatest supporters

While I do have good drive, it is VERY challenging to make myself get up at 4am for a 5am workout 3x a week - so I can feel your pain, just on another level :)

I have been doing better mentally since I started regularly exercising last week.

I think the real benefit from regular exercise is the overall improvement of the mental status. I don't particularly enjoy ANY exercise but there's no doubt I feel better--physically and mentally.

Spaces, I just ordered some new exercise clothes from Hanes.com! You inspired me. :)

Add 'new outfit' to the list of motivators to workout - awesome s9!!

i kinda sorta have 3 drawers in my dresser devoted to workout clothes ;)

GREAT sales out there, i never pay full price, well mostly never lol

My motivation is of course to lose weight. But, I have a friend who counts on me to go to the gym with her in the mornings. So, that keeps me motivated. We only do 30 mins at the gym because she has to get ready and work. So before my shower, I will get on my elliptical at home and listen to 5 songs that I want to listen to at that time, and that gets me through it. So, 30 mins is my minimum, but I try for 45-60 mins. I have 60 lbs to lose (YUCK).

Yeah, I exercise for a week, but it doesn't help my depression, so I give up. I know that even meds don't work that fast, but taking meds takes a lot less effort. ;)

It takes 2 full weeks to establish an exercise routine, so that's alot of "don't think, just GO"

just think how exercise *and* meds could work :)

hang in there

my latest hurdle is not mentally crashing by wed (that's the last super early day for me). It has taken a month to get over the massive fatigue that sets in the moment the wed workout is over at 6:30am. each week has gotten better - this week i was good to go by around 10am.

Damn, I *wish* I got exercise endorphins, it'd be a reason to farking do it.

But I don't

I get exercise induced hypoglycemia, which makes me shaky, I may pass out, and then I am super pissed off. For me, when I think exercise, I think pissed off. Which often leads me to: fuck this shit.

My new gp says I'm the person Gatorade was made for. He wants me, when I exercise, to stop and drink some every 10 minutes, drinking no less than 16oz for every hour I do whatever. Fine, I'll try it.

But I doubt I'll ever feel that endorphin rush. Maybe that's negative thinking, but as all my past experiences with real, intense exercise have sucked, I just don't see the point in getting worked up about something I don't expect to ever experience...blah blah blah, whine whine ;)

Hey,

I'm just gonna throw this out there - even though I may be the resident obsessive exercise junky one around here ;)

I just want to pass along just how great you can feel if you just get out there and do something.

ANYthing.... walk, run, attend some sort of exercise class - doesn't really matter. 30 minutes devoted to body movement. Nobody can say there is not time for 30 minutes over the course of 24 hours to get your body shaken

When I complete a workout, I can breath deep, the air seems cleaner, my head feels lighter, my muscles feel energized and the calm that spreads throughout my "being" is remarkable.

So what if that feeling dissipates after awhile - that's why you go and do it again :)

Exercise endorphins - they are real and they help

If you go do something, report it here, I'd LOVE to hear about it and its effect on your depression

I love, love the endorphins I get from exercise.

I hate to get it started but I do, Once started I can go for a few hours, actually I enjoy the pain when I can't take that last push on the exercise bike.

It's like sex afterwards you feel exhausted but so good. And you have energy and you know when you get dressed that clothes will fit you just right. To me that is my reward.

I feel powerful being fit.

LG

No endorphins here. Just fatigue and sweatiness and boredom with the whole thing.

But I'm still walking 30-40 minutes every day, and now I've added 3 torture Pilates/Sculpting classes each week. Now that I've paid to use the gym for three months, there is a financial incentive to go. And I'm tired of looking at all this lard.

Exercise has never made me feel better. I do it because I know it's good for me.

olga

Damn, I *wish* I got exercise endorphins, it'd be a reason to farking do it.

But I don't

I get exercise induced hypoglycemia, which makes me shaky, I may pass out, and then I am super pissed off. For me, when I think exercise, I think pissed off. Which often leads me to: fuck this shit.

My new gp says I'm the person Gatorade was made for. He wants me, when I exercise, to stop and drink some every 10 minutes, drinking no less than 16oz for every hour I do whatever. Fine, I'll try it.

But I doubt I'll ever feel that endorphin rush. Maybe that's negative thinking, but as all my past experiences with real, intense exercise have sucked, I just don't see the point in getting worked up about something I don't expect to ever experience...blah blah blah, whine whine ;)

Lilac,

before I even got to the part of your post about how your GP said you could be the next Gatorade poster girl, I was thinking, oh she needs gatorade LOL Also, proper fuel and nutrition will help immensely. The first thing my new nutritionist said was that I am to drink a bottle of gatorade for every hour of exercise, no matter what. It does make a difference.

take care

It's funny, but I have been in a horrible depression the last few weeks, and I actually really (really) want to just walk, jog, run... that's it, I just want to be able to do that. Just go, and kee going and ignore the world.

But, I am a social phobic. I live in a big city and I am not originally from here. I feel trapped here just because I can't go anywhere to get away from this huge amount of people so I could just walk, alone, like I want to. I wish desperately for a treadmill, but the money is just not there for me to have one, and so here I sit. Feeling worse (and fatter).

I know, I know- there are OTHER things I can do, right? Well I just can't get the motivation for other things. I want to walk/run because I can just go and tune everything else out. I can't seem to do that with other forms of exercise. Nor do I seem to have the motivation for anything else.

I wish I could get a treadmill prescribed for me... I have a feeling it would help my depression a lot if I could just get moving. ;) This feeling sucks. I KNOW I would feel better, but I can't DO it. /sigh

Keirelle, wait another 6 weeks, and start to look on craigslist and freecycle for cheap treadmills. That is about the time that people realize they are not going to keep their New Year's resolution. We got our elliptical for $30. Granted, we rarely use it, but for $30, we use it enough.

Keirelle, wait another 6 weeks, and start to look on craigslist and freecycle for cheap treadmills. That is about the time that people realize they are not going to keep their New Year's resolution. We got our elliptical for $30. Granted, we rarely use it, but for $30, we use it enough.

WOW! for $30 I would definitely buy an elliptical. and make room for it. that's sweet!

scouring craigslist now and especially in the spring

I agree about the exercise...it really does help me a great deal. it makes me feel better and especially stops me from whining and feeling sorry for myself all the time. which I am prone to do, play poor-pitiful-me if I don't watch it.

Archived