CrazyBoards.org

I keep thinking that the house is going to catch on fire when I'm out and the dog is going to be engulfed in flames and die this horrible agonizing death and it's awful and won't go away.

It became so overwhelming, playing over and over in my brain today at school, that I started crying a little.

I don't know why this keeps happening but it fucking sucks.

I remember when this happened to you before. It does suck. I can't even speak the obsessive thoughts that plague me. And there is no real pattern to when I get into a rut with this fucking stuff. I don't think about this nightmare crap for months and months. Then it just comes back.

luck of the draw-i have not had Obsessive thoughts take over my pea brain. grinding depression that seems to have no abatement is bad enough - can't estimate how much that shit beats you down, how it comes from nowhere external and takes control. want it to get lost for you all.

I'm not in the exact same situation, but, and this is going to sound retarded, but I watched a movie the other night with a really sad part where a man had to kill his own dog. This was like, three days ago that I watched that movie, and I can't stop thinking about it and crying. It was a movie for fuck's sake. Won't get out of my head though, dammit.

That being said, I'll get into shit like you described. Ever since I was little, I daydreamed all the time that my dad was going to die and I'd imagine it in horrific detail down to my reaction when someone told me he was dead and I would cry for hours, this would happen daily sometimes, sometimes all day, sometimes on just one random occasion or another.

The shit sucks, whatever it is.

I think the answer to my current problem is to get a dog.

I'm a cat person, but now I see the appeal in a dog, they are good companions, they are loyal, and they are like friends, cats are cute and cuddly and all that and great, but yeah, I think to get this off my mind I need to get a dog. Isn't that retarded?

Then I'd just get the dog and worry about him all the time.

Sorry, I babbled, just wanted to say you aren't alone in dreaming up devastating catastrophes. It's been kicking my ass lately too. I hope you feel better soon, I really mean that, this shit is hard.

• 4 weeks later...

i have suffered with OCD since I was a kid. And it was your reference to 'fire' that caught my eye: my very first fit of obsessive thinking was the same terror that the house was on fire and i can remember wandering around the house putting my hands on the walls (always feeling for the heat of fire). Obsessive thinking is a horror, no other word for it.

What helps? Usually it reduces over time, quiets down, and the whack thoughts become easier to ignore and finally you can't believe you were so hung up on these odd and persistent bugaboos.

What you're obsessed about also seems to change over time, and it becomes easier to recognize when you are going down that path again. Recognition helps you realize it definitely IS all in your head (although I have to admit that doesn't help the anxiety too much).

I feel meds can definitely help this kind of OCD although 'what works' depends on your system etc. Hopefully it won't take too long to find the right thing.

I swear reading your post brought tears to my eyes because i remember those days when it was very, very bad and I couldn't explain how bad it was to anyone. Hold on, it will get better.

...Ever since I was little, I daydreamed all the time that my dad was going to die and I'd imagine it in horrific detail down to my reaction when someone told me he was dead and I would cry for hours, this would happen daily sometimes, sometimes all day, sometimes on just one random occasion or another.

The shit sucks, whatever it is.

I relate. I still do similar. And I'm ashamed to even admit it. It's almost habitual.

Just thought I'd pipe in lol.

And to op, I hope the crappy thoughts ease up on you soon.

Archived