CrazyBoards.org

3 Years in the Making!

Do you have a driver's license?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a drivers license?

• Yes
    • Did before my epilepsy diagnosis
    • No

At last! To-day the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety issued me a letter authorizing the Drivers’ License Office to issue me a driver’s license, with the caveat I must go through annual medical examinations.

For three years I have been wrangling with DPS and the Veterans Administration to authorise me to drive; my last license was in Nebraska, where they don’t care, because out on the prairie there is nothing to hit.

Since that time, I had lived in Illinois (where they also require medical paperwork for epilepsy, but not mental disorder, and it is far easier than Oklahoma’s and I had to get both); then moved to South Carolina (where epilepsy prohibited me obtaining a license until the Supreme Court struck down So. Car. law as unconstitutional – all credible statistics show that epilepsy patients are in 50% –less- accidents due to their awareness of being tired or chemicals having an effect on their epilepsy or medications).

Oklahoma –registered- my Nebraska licence three years ago as legal to drive on in Oklahoma whilst I obtained all the necessary chops on my paperwork.

My Nebraska license was set to expire in May; I was preparing to make a trip to Omaha to renew it to keep from fouling up my Oklahoma paperwork. But now I have a spankin’ new Oklahoma license. I can now write cheques here (since everyone wants to see a local driver’s license and a Federally-issued Military ID card won’t do) and Beth is far less nervous about allowing me to drive (would the average Ponca City cop know my Nebraska license was “registered” with the Department of Public Safety?).

Wow. What a bureaucratic pile of (fill in the blank).

James

I can now write cheques here

Unless Oklahoma became part of the British Empire when I wasn't looking, you can now write checks there, which I suppose will have to do. Heh.

That must be nice, though. It's a pain getting some places to recognize unusual IDs. Around here, you have to go six months seizure-free before you can get a license. I tend to be able to manage a bit longer than that between times anything weird happens in my brain, but my vision's crappy enough that the world is a better place without me in a car. I have a state-issued ID card instead (which is exactly the same as the driver's license they issue, aside from saying "NOT A LICENSE" on it), and while I rarely if ever have any problems with it in-state, I can go less than an hour away, barely across state lines, and run into trouble every time I try to use it (although a thousand miles away in Chicago, no one ever questioned the temporary ID printed on paper I was carrying around...). Sorry, New Hampshire, I'm not carrying my passport around just to visit you.

Guest Anymouse

I can now write cheques here

Unless Oklahoma became part of the British Empire when I wasn't looking, you can now write checks there, which I suppose will have to do. Heh.

Well, I grew up next to the Canadian border and now work as an editor of Romance novels for a Canadian publisher, so these things kind of creep up on me . . . .

- James.

Finalist, National Hammered Dulcimer Competition, Winfield Kansas 15-19 September 2010.

Archived