CrazyBoards.org

I have a paranoid schizophrenia and every so often I see colours, by that I mean when I look at a cover of a magazine I feel the colours are really bright and distorted. Same goes for when I watch tv. I know this is part of schizophrenia but what sort of symptom do you call it?

Do you feel a little distant and detached from your surroundings when it happens? If so, it could be related to dissociation. Dissociation essentially is disconnecting from your surroundings. There's a continuum from minor to severe enough to be a disorder of it's own.

Do you feel a little distant and detached from your surroundings when it happens? If so, it could be related to dissociation. Dissociation essentially is disconnecting from your surroundings. There's a continuum from minor to severe enough to be a disorder of it's own.

Nope nothing like that. Just colours appear brighter and weird. Hard to describe!

I'm not sure if it a hallucination... just because it not something that isn't actually there... its just appearing to look different/stronger to you. I'm not a doc or anything though... So don't take my word on it... just my opinion.

Do you have a therapist or other mental health care worker you can discus this with?

If it means anything, I've had what sounds like a similiar experience. Intense and vibrant is usually it, but sometimes there is weirdness to it. Movement of sort. Not really off the page, but not totally on it. Same thing? Dunno. Could be migraine, seizure, or mixed state bipolar (which might be the same). Have to say that I've never given this much thought. Now, I probably will.

I have a paranoid schizophrenia and every so often I see colours, by that I mean when I look at a cover of a magazine I feel the colours are really bright and distorted. Same goes for when I watch tv. I know this is part of schizophrenia but what sort of symptom do you call it?

I do not have that kind of experience with colors but I did have rather strange visual perceptions when I was taking Geodon. I will try to describe. You know when you're watching a movie and there's a sequence of a passing train, the image of the train blurs as it speeds past. Well, that is what cars passing me on the freeway looked like to me--very strange. At the same time, I felt as if I was driving 100 mph while in reality, when I checked the speedometer, I was only going 45.

My doctor switched me to risperdol and everything is pretty "normal" now. At least as normal as things can get when you are schizo.

What people don't realize about schizophrenia is that it is a brain disorder. Degeneration of the occipital lobe (processes visual sensory information) and parietal lobe (processes sensory information) is what is thought to cause certain hallucinations. Damage can also cause all kinds of perception abnormality. This could be a symptom of that damage taking place.

When I'm a little more psychotic I see shadows and sometimes things DO seem brighter. It's not really a brightness of colors but instead an all around brightness. The shadows, I suppose, would be darker colors affecting my peripherals. Like they were saying, hallucinations are hard to describe and maybe even hard to empathize with since no one's the same. But I do know what you're talking about. This happens to me when I'm having bad anxiety too, though.

Archived