CrazyBoards.org

So when do you call Psych Emergency?

People keep giving me the handy hint that I should call Psych Emergency if I need it.

Well, a night or two ago, I was really low and as usual mentally polishing my exit plan.

When it occurred to me phoning Psych Emergency was unlikely to go very well.

Me: Hello... is that Psych Emergency?

Imagined Far Side: Blah, blah.

Me: Ah Good! Will you please kill me then?

Imagined Far Side: Blah, blah, blah-di-blah, blah, blah blah.

Me: Just answer yes or no dammit!

Imagined Far Side: Blah, blah, blah-di-blah, blah, blah no blah blah come in blah.

Me: Fat lot of Good you guys are! I'm having a Psych Emergency! I need to die now!

Imagined Far Side: Blah, blah, blah-di-blah, are you going to kill yourself?

Me: No. I haven't worked out how to do it without a finite risk of extreme lasting agony, permanent physical and/or mental disability, financial ruin and/or a jail sentence.

Imagined Far Side: Blah, blah, blah-di-blah, no problem then consult your GP in the morning.

Me: Couldn't you plunder the vaults of veterinary science for something that would mercy kill a horse?

Imagined Far Side: Blah, blah, blah-di-blah, blah, blah no blah blah come in blah.

Me: No, I don't want help. I don't want to "feel better", I want to die!

Imagined Far Side: Blah, blah, blah-di-blah, soothe, blah no blah blah come in blah.

Me: Fuck that. <hangs up>

Me: Hmm. Perhaps if I attack multiple biological pathways at once...

Hmm, yes that's difficult - it's no good phoning medical services if you don't actually want help (well, don't want the sort of help that they want to offer). But maybe sometimes a part of you does really want help, it's just being sort of drowned out by the bad stuff.

Do you think that you're really likely to try to kill yourself at the moment? If so then I really would just go and turn up at A&E or your local psych hospital sometime BEFORE you actually make an attempt. Speaking strictly from personal experience, it can sometimes be good to be protected from yourself. I know how it is to not want help and not want somebody to try to "talk you down" from doing something that you're set on...but I know that when I'm in those sorts of states I don't always have the insight to really know what I truly want.

I know that when I tried to kill myself, I woke up in hospital (by some miracle somebody had found me unconscious and called an ambulance) and was strangely, unexpectedly, but overwhelmingly glad that I hadn't died. I would never have thought to call psych emergency for help before the suicide attempt because, like you, I thought I didn't want to be stopped. But it is worth trying to do something, anything to try to buy yourself a bit of extra time and hope that some survival instinct comes through and helps you through the suicidal feelings.

ditto what shannie said--- "Hmm, yes that's difficult - it's no good phoning medical services if you don't actually want help (well, don't want the sort of help that they want to offer). But maybe sometimes a part of you does really want help, it's just being sort of drowned out by the bad stuff."

i know it does seem absurd to call the Psych Ward when you're feeling down enough to want to end it all.... but call someone anyway. even though you don't want to be "saved".... call someone anyway.

• 6 months later...

Fuck me but life sucks.

In the best tradition of life not outdoing art, but Life indulging in a frivolous game of one up man ship with Art using lives as pawns...

So, Mental Illness being more contagious that the common cold... I found myself called to help someone deeply suicidal.

So we called "Helpline".... and were put on hold.

Serious.

So we went to Psych Emergency.

It was closed... drab little notice said go to hospital emergency.

We went to the hospital emergency... waited til the wee hours... and were told to come back tomorrow.

Moral of the Story: If you have a Psych Emergency in this town.... stay at home, take a stiff vodka (the bottle stores stay open) and a handful of valerian and go to sleep. Be at Psych Emergencies door next morning when they open.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived