CrazyBoards.org

I accidently overdosed on fluoxetine.

Just when I was about to take my meds I suddenly got confused (I don't know why) and just started taking pills without really thinking about what I was doing. I was on auto-pilot, I was not trying to harm myself. I just realized it now and have worked out that I took 80mg instead of my 40mg. Will this make me sick? I just don't know whether or not I should seek medical help or what side effects I'll get.

The prescribed dose can be up to 80mg so I wouldn't be too worried. You might have some adverse effects for a few days.

Listed overdose symptoms are

Overdose may cause nausea, vomiting, fever, sleepiness, rapid or uneven heartbeat, confusion, fainting, seizures, or coma

I'm not a doctor so if you are really concerned you could give your doctor a call.

P.S Pill boxes are a really good idea!

Fluoxetine is a relatively safe drug even with fairly high overdoses (that's one of the reasons that doctors in the UK prescribe it to patients at risk of suicide) - 80mg shouldn't do you any damage. For example, here's a case report in American Journal of Psychiatry describing the "uneventful recovery" of somebody who took a deliberate 2000mg overdose of fluoxetine:

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/reprint/147/8/1089b.pdf

What I'm trying to say is - don't be too worried, you should be fine. However, can you be certain that you only took 80mg? If in doubt perhaps you should check with your GP to be on the safe side. And yes, getting a pill box and pre-sorting your daily meds would be a great idea. That should help you to avoid accidentally making mistakes with your dosages.

I second the pill boxes. I found out I was taking too *little* Xanax, because I would forget whether I had taken it or not, and didn't want to take too much. I ended up with a TON of pills when it came time to renew my script, to the extent that my dad (a p-doc) was concerned I was hoarding for an overdose attempt, when really, I was missing doses for the exact opposite reason.

Thanks for all your replies. I got myself a pill box today when I picked up my repeat prescription.

I know that 80mg isn't an "overdose", what I mean't is that I took over the dose than I usually do and was worried that I was going to feel sick. I didn't get sick though at all so sorry for being such a worry wart! rolleyes.gif

Archived