Wellbutrin for improved libido

So I heard, back in 2001, from my human sexuality professor that Wellbutrin can actually increase libido, especially in males.

As a matter of fact, Wellbutrin is occasionally prescribed for this purpose.

Interesting since the SSRI's are notorious for destroying libido.

Has anyone had any positive (or less than effective, for that matter) results with Wellbutrin?

If one is taking an SSRI that lowers the libido, does adding the Wellbutrin along with the SSRI help combat this side effect?

So I heard, back in 2001, from my human sexuality professor that Wellbutrin can actually increase libido, especially in males.

As a matter of fact, Wellbutrin is occasionally prescribed for this purpose.

Interesting since the SSRI's are notorious for destroying libido.

Has anyone had any positive (or less than effective, for that matter) results with Wellbutrin?

If one is taking an SSRI that lowers the libido, does adding the Wellbutrin along with the SSRI help combat this side effect?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Effect of bupropion on sexual dysfunction induced by fluoxetine: a case report of hypersexuality. (no abstract available)

Treatment of fluoxetine-induced sexual dysfunction with bupropion: a case report.

Improvement in fluoxetine-associated sexual dysfunction in patients switched to bupropion.

Comparative sexual side effects of bupropion, fluoxetine, paroxetine, and sertraline.

Google search of ncbi.nlm.nih.gov for "bupropion" "libido" and "pubmed"

Enjoy

I been on WB for 4 years.

And this girl can now say she knows what guys think about all day,lol.

Even when I didn't even want sex, I thought about it.

But it seemed to make everything better, not just sex.

I lost weight on it, even though it even make food so awsome.

I'm also on Effexor (SNRI) and the WB helps bring back what it kills.

• 1 month later...

I've been on WB for 6-7 weeks - Also been on a self-imposed "no g/f" thing since I got over-the-top depressed a year ago.

All of a sudden I want 'em all again <grin>.... If I can't "blame it on Mexico", I'll say it's the Wellbutrin.

"Blame it on Mexico, if you need a reason.  Say too much guitar music, tequila, salt and lime. Blame it on Mexico, but she's the reason, that I fell in love again for my last time."

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I tend toward very low sex drive, and I haven't been sexually active (with others) in many years.  I usually have very flimsy orgasms that aren't enjoyable in the way people usually make sex out to be.  I've rarely had spontaneous sexual thoughts about others (certainly not when I'm around others) and it takes conscious effort to work up sexual arousal or anything like fantasy.

The neural mechanism is likely the same as that described in "Brain processing of visual sexual stimuli in men with hypoactive sexual desire disorder" (Psychiatry Research, 2003 124(2): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...t_uids=14561426

"Whereas in control subjects the medial orbitofrontal cortex showed a deactivation in response to [Visual Sexual Stimuli], in [Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder] patients there was an abnormally maintained activity of this region, which has been implicated in the inhibitory control of motivated behavior."

Although I probably don't met the criteria for that disorder, I think the same orbitofrontal inhibition is at work in my low tendency to see others sexually without explicit effort (which I rarely exert).

Now, I've been on Wellbutrin SL, 2x150mg, for a few months.

When I was first on Wellbutrin, I noticed some increase in my sexual drive.  My orgasms become somewhat more pleasurable and I masturbated a bit more often.  At the time, though, I wasn't out much and I wasn't around others much.

I've now returned to university, and I am around way more people.  And I notice a definite change from my previous experience being around others.  I'm now capable of spontaneous feelings of desire when around others, and people generally seem more "attractive" in ways I didn't spontaneously notice before.  ;) My mind tends toward sexual thoughts far more than before, and given my previous asexuality it is almost shocking.  :P

Still, this is mostly a mental change.  I don't experience erections any more often or easily, except for minute spontanous changes in volume on occaision.

Under "Wellbutrin's Freaky Rare Side Effects" the CrazyMeds Wellbutrin page says, "Some men reported painful erections, unusual ejaculations and outright impotence, which are just one some of God's little jokes when you combine those with Wellbutrin's tendency to make you hornier."  :)

I have somewhat unusual ejaculations too, which are hard to describe, although maybe just unusual in a different way than before Wellbutrin.

From my personal experience WB does wonders for the ability to achieve orgasm.  When I went on Prozac I was unable to orgasm anymore.  Added WB and immediately was able to again.  I'm now on Cymbalta and am again unable to achieve orgasm.  I was able to masturbate once for like was seemed to last forever and was finally able to.  It wasn't as satisfying as it had been in the past.  My boyfriend and I are going to try again to see if now since I've been on it longer I can work again ;)

Other wise I may have to take WB again :)

I was prescribed WB XL after being off of Paxil CR for a few months. Now, I have severe Panic Attacks and I was prescribed Paxil CR and Clonazepam since I was 13. I am now 20 and even when I stopped taking the Paxil (terrible withdrawals even tho i tired to cut back gradually) i still couldn't do my thing. I had to get off of the WB XL cause it caused me to have some very severe PA and I start back on the Paxil CR tomorrow. It's only 12.5mg so hopefully it won't have as much sexual side effects like it did when i was 25mg and 37.5mg.

With SSRIs, I fell asleep on myself!

With Wellbutrin, back to normal!  I think it probably counteracts sexual side effects of Vivactil and Topomax, if there are any, but since they were added after the WB I can't say for sure. 

i have read and heard that wellbutrin will take away some of the blahs of effexor.I did effoxor for a few years and thought it was just my frame of mind that was shutting down sex drive,doctor told me to try wellbutrin ,did and hated it so quit them both and went back to the old stand by.

If wellbutrin doesn't freak you out do it .

i have read and heard that wellbutrin will take away some of the blahs of effexor.I did effoxor for a few years and thought it was just my frame of mind that was shutting down sex drive,doctor told me to try wellbutrin ,did and hated it so quit them both and went back to the old stand by.

If wellbutrin doesn't freak you out do it .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i think the WB increased my sex drive, but so does the remeron too.  just another option for those trying to reduce the sexual side effects who've had no luck with WB

I've been on wellbutrin for a year and it has decreased my libido.  I used to think about sex constantly (hypersexuality from bipolar) and I used to masterbate daily.  Now I hardly ever think about it and never masterbate.  Maybe it just made me normal.

any one have any expierence with luvox and wb? i currently amtaking luvox, and already had a low sex drive to begin with. any thoughts?

Archived