CrazyBoards.org

After klonopin, vistaril?

I don't know that this even goes here, because apparently vistaril is an antihistamine? My pdoc claims that klonopin is not for long-term use, and she wants me off. Begging for something to help me with anxiety, she says that she will write me a script for vistaril, which from what I've read doesn't do a lot of good. Does anyone here have experience with it as a substitute for a benzo?

To be honest, I genuinely do not get why some p-docs are so hesitant to treat anxiety with benzos, if they are working. I have been on them, tapered off them, and gone back on them with no problems. Sure, it takes a couple of months to taper, but so what? You are not even on that much!

And if benzos are all that work, as is the case for me, there is no reason not to use them long term. I have been on Xanax for almost 5 years now, and neither my p-doc, nor my father, who is a p-doc with an international reputation, see any problem with this at all. In fact, I worry about it way more than they do. Yet I haven't even habituated to it in 5 years of daily use. I don't abuse it, and I *always* have leftover Xanax at the end of the month, because even though I take one mg AM/PM. and am allowed another mg PRN per day, I rarely take the 3rd mg, unless something really stressful happens, or I am having a bad migraine.

My father's take on on p-docs that obsess over side-effects that are well tolerated by the patient, or that have not even occurred yet, is that they are pussies, and lack confidence in their own ability. ;) I have tried other anti-anxiety meds, and they do. not. work. for. me. I am not saying they do not work for others. But has she even tried you on buspar, or paxil, for instance? They don't work for me, but to just stop klonopin, unless she has tried you on other anti-anxiety meds, seems silly. And if she has tried them, and they haven't worked, I *really* do not understand why she would take you off of something that *does* work, and that according to your signature, you do not take a lot of, and at least some of which is PRN.

Klonopin *is* used for long term management of anxiety all the time. In fact it is the preferred benzo for long term treatment. I just have a paradoxical effect when I take it, where it causes panic and rage. Hence the Xanax.

Sorry to go on and on, but it really gets my goat when Drs. are so timid when a med is clearly working well for their patient. If anyone should know the difference between tolerance, habituation, and addiction, it is p-docs, but a lot of them clearly do not.

Thanks for the replies. Even my old pdoc, who I really liked (before he moved) was against benzos, *especially* xanax. He used to say that he could count on one hand the number of patients he had on xanax. Well, that's all fine and good, but that doesn't help me. He made a comment before he left that he eventually wanted me off of klonopin too.

Dianthus, you said what I feared, in that it won't work well. I'm already on an AAP, she would probably FREAK if I asked about low dose seroquel, although I have a fairly large bottle, and can try that myself to see if it would work. Not that I'm advocating self-medication, but I used to be on the abilify/sq combo, so I don't see what it would hurt to at least try it again.

I've tried buspar, and that sent me into deeper anxiety. Haven't tried paxil or neurontin yet, that would be something I could mention.

My pdoc is a real bitch at times, I need to find a new one. I should go back to the old one, he wasn't perfect but at least he was willing to try combos to see what was effective. I was lazy in the fact that I chose not to follow him (he was in the same practice as my tdoc, 5 minutes away), because he moved 35 minutes away. A major mistake.

Sorry, now I'm rambling,

is that they are pussies, and lack confidence in their own ability

<snort> thank you, that sums it up.

My pdoc is also "afraid" of benzos. I've been on my Klonopin for a year or more. He keeps talking about taking me off, but hasn't yet. He told me to take 50 mg of my Seroquel xr for daytime anxiety (I take 400 mg at night). It does help, but different than benzos. It seems to take a little longer to kick in (maybe if I had regular Seroquel for the daytime anxiety?). I hate that my pdoc is so worried about the Klonopin. I've shown him I don't abuse it or sell it, as I only get it once a month. Good luck finding something that works.

I too have had issues with doctors and prescribing of benzos. Of course, part of my problem is that I have to go to a clinic run by my health insurance company and they have a revolving door doctor policy... so every 4-6 months I get a new pdoc. Of course, I've had some other issues with my xanax that creates some hesitation with some of the doctors, so that sucks too. I had one doc want to pull me off, even though I only take it 3-4 times a week PRN, and she put me on vistoril. It really did nothing for me. And I even doubled up the dose most nights to no effect.

• 3 weeks later...

I have came across one doctor who did not prescribe me the Kpin, I have partial seizures, which of course, Klonopin and other Benzos are used in Epilepsy, that makes it easier for me to get, and I do need it. Vistaril, I have never tried... My sister in law is on it, she likes it.

B.

Archived