CrazyBoards.org

My meds recently got changed. I was on risperdal, which did a lot for my rage but gave me tardive dyskinesia. I was also on lithium and am weaning that down too. So what I'm left with is Prozac, Zyprexa, Depakote, and Klonopin but I need something that is going to help all of this anger (besides therapy.) Is Depakote going to help with that? Pdoc seems to think so but I'm leery.

I take Epilim Chrono which is Sodium Valproate and Valproic acid, from my understanding they all boil down to the same active ingredient so the effects are similar.

I started the Valproates in late November, I then stopped taking it for a while and I'm now back on. I'd say it's really helped me, not with aggression though just with my bitchiness I don't feel like I have to get one up on people anymore.

One word of advice if you're starting a Valproate from my experience don't rush the dosage. I stupidly thought I was get right back on track and took in excess of 1200mg when I should have started at 300mg a day. Needless to say I thought I was on deaths' door.

My meds recently got changed. I was on risperdal, which did a lot for my rage but gave me tardive dyskinesia. I was also on lithium and am weaning that down too. So what I'm left with is Prozac, Zyprexa, Depakote, and Klonopin but I need something that is going to help all of this anger (besides therapy.) Is Depakote going to help with that? Pdoc seems to think so but I'm leery.

I think it might just be up in the air until you try it. When I was on Depakote it helped with my rapid cycling but my anger was out of control. I don't think it made it any worse, I just think that since I wasn't cycling like I normally did I just stayed Angry longer and the longer I am angry the more serious it gets. I have talked to people though that say it has worked wonders for them! I wish you the best!

My heart breaks to hear about the Tardive Dyskinesia. Im very sorry. ;)

Xx

Archived